View Single Post

Thread: Joker (2019)

1. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Joker (2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    It wasn't just three people getting shot, though, was it? It was three rich people who were given coverage and attention and people gave a damn about, unlike all the other murders that happen. Just like Thomas Wayne going on the TV and calling out people for not being rich. Gotham at that point was shown to be a powder keg, and while the killings didn't light it (the cops gun going off in the subway did), it certainly doused the powder keg in gasoline.
    Spoiler
    Show

Yeah, 3 upper-middle to upper class guys got murdered. Again, that's not really all that impressive. At least here in Chicago. It takes some pretty warped viewing to see three pretty much nobodies getting killed and suddenly having that turn into a big event. Especially since the three guys wrongdoings weren't reported and do not seem grandiose enough to become widespread among the populace. So, it just looks like 3 innocents got killed and suddenly everyone starts praising how cool that is. Which, honestly, just portrays poor people as really petty kinda gross.

Like seeking vengeance because some of their own got unfairly killed. That I get. I've seen enough walks for people getting killed by the cops before to know how tense those situations get. And if the situation was framed more like that, I can see some riots happening. But rich young adults? Maybe if there was some other step. Like, the wealthy using their murder as an excuse to crack down on the poor further. That would make an adequate tipping point. But I really don't see your usual citizen hearing about a triple homicide and going "Cool, let's do more of that and start dressing up as the killer."

But again, this is nitpickery. It's a great movie.
    Last edited by Dienekes; 2019-10-09 at 02:06 AM.