Ra's expression shifted abruptly, smile disappearing.
"What do you mean, the Princess will have words for Bast?" he asked flatly. "If the Princess learns of the Guild's existence, she'll destroy us. Maybe not until after the demons are gone, but it will happen."

"He's right, Umbear," Qetesh piped up quietly, looking up at Umbear with a concerned expression. "I'm sure you expect she would make some kind of redemption offer, like if we give up our illegal earnings to help feed and rebuild the town, we'll be spared the dungeon. But she would not abide our existence after that. And any of us who refused to give up our gold would be hunted down... and many won't go quietly. Many of us would die fighting to get away from guards. And after getting out of the dungeon, many would go back to their old ways, even without the Guild. That would make them vulnerable, as well as unleash a lot of freelance criminals onto the streets... desperate ones, to boot. The Guild keeps the crime rates just low enough to make people feel safe and complacent and keep the Crown from enacting more and tougher anti-crime measures. People like me, especially, who do what I do... it would be open season on us. Without the Guild, we would have no protection from other criminals, and little way to seek justice for crimes against us without subjecting ourselves to the justice system for our own crimes."
Qetesh looked away.
"I've been lucky... my career has been in this city and this city alone. But I've met other girls, from other cities, where the branch leaders in the Guild aren't as strict, and from other countries, where there isn't always a Thieves' Guild in the first place. I've heard their stories, and I wouldn't wish their experiences on anyone."