Quote Originally Posted by Trandir View Post
Hello Tawmis, this whole thread is one massive work of art, and one of the best things I've seen here in the playground.
I'm not going to lie I am bad at writing backgrounds even the most cliche so why not ask a great storyteller to write one.

PC name: Rerat Zallend (male)
Race: human
Class: Fighter 2
Background: Sailor

His life brought him to a kingdom in the center of the continent far away from the sea.
This is little to nothing so you would have complete freedom to do whatever you want with it. If this is too boring for your standards I understand.
Anyway keep the great work and have a nice day.
I accept any and every challenge presented to me! The idea of a character being "boring" is a character without a backstory!
So it may "seem" boring to you - but once you dive into what makes a character be the way they are - you give them some soul!
So I enjoyed writing this!
I'd love to hear your thoughts!
I wasn't aware of what campaign you were playing (if it was Forgotten Realms or Homebrew)...
I assumed Homebrew... since there's no mention of Forgotten Realms...
So I made up a name of the town (can be changed to fit the world) and described it (also can be changed to fit the worl)
Let me know!
============================================

I have lived my entire life wanting to being free.

By the age of eight, I had run away from my home nearly once a week, but my parents, with their money, hired bounty hunters to track me down and bring me back home.

Was my life at home horrible? Was I beaten? Abused? None of that, really. However, my family was rich and they had expected me to behave in a certain manor; prim, proper, sit up straight, be in before it gets dark outside. Otherwise, I was given whatever I asked for and had free reign around the house, could even command my servants to fetch me things I wanted.

It was just the rules my parents put on me and the behavior they expected out of me. This is what I could not stand. I felt like one of their servants – demanded to act a specific way.

I was sixteen, when one day a rather eccentric dressing man met my father for one of his standard business deals. The man smelt of wine and wore long, hard boots, a hat with a large feather through it, and a red sash that nearly touched the ground. He had a swagger when he walked through the room that drew your eyes to him and the women in the house – including my sister who was only thirteen years old – all heaved a heavy sigh as he walked by.

Whatever business my father and he discussed behind closed doors lasted only an hour before he came sauntering out of my father’s office. He saw my mother then looked down at my sister, then back to my mother. “Are the two of ye – what – six maybe seven years apart?”

My mother flushed red, her cheeks a deep crimson. Even she seemed smitten by this individual. I followed him outside and shouted, “Excuse me, may I have a moment of your time?”

The man stopped, spun on one boot and looked at me with a coy smile. “Say what you will, young Zallend.”

“Who are you?” I asked for beginners.

“Me?” he placed his hands as if shocked. “Oh, I’m just someone named Captain Darick Eagletalon.”

“You dress like no other I’ve seen before,” I explained.

“That’s because I usually make your father come to the docks to do business, so he can see the goods I am bringing him,” Darick explained. “But this time, it would seem his schedule was too busy, so I,” he looked around, “ventured inland. Truth be told, I don’t like being landlocked. The sea,” he stretched out his hand and moved it across the horizon, “there’s nothing out there to obscure your view. No trees, no buildings, nothing – just the open sea as far as your own eyes can see.” He looked at me curiously, “It’s the only place to ever feel free,” he added, as if speaking directly to my soul.

“Would I be able to come with you?” I asked.

“What would your father say?” he smiled.

“To Hades with my father,” I snapped back. “I am sixteen. Well and old enough to do what I want.”

He looked at the house then back at me. “You have it easy here, boy. The sea – she’s beautiful – but she’s relentless, brutal. It’s not always beautiful and it’s not always kind. A storm can come along, dark as night, fill your eyes with blindness and pull you to the bottom of the sea.”

“I am willing to risk it,” I said, firmly.

“Then come along boy,” he gestured towards the wagon that had carried him here. “Do you plan to tell your family?”

“No,” I said matter-of-factly. “Let them wonder and worry.”

I sailed with Darick Eagletalon for four years aboard “The World’s Edge” until one day he docked and said he had business with my father. My father was waiting at the pier and when he saw me, he began to weep. “I thought we had lost you! Like we lost your sister.”

“My sister? What’s happened to Allana?” I asked, breaking free of my father’s hug.

“She took a wagon to Tarren’tor, where she was to be wed,” my father cried. “She is documented as arriving – but never made it to the castle. Her wagon was found with bloodstains in it, but otherwise completely empty.”

I looked at Darick and he looked back at me. “Tarren’tor is dead center of a large continent. I can sail you to the nearest dock, but the rest is all on you. You seemed to not care about family when we originally left.”

I looked at my father and sighed. “I’ve changed. I didn’t like being told what to do, back then. But my sister is another matter entirely.” I turned to my father, “I will find her, father. I promise.”

It took six weeks to sail to Port of Nayr; a large port for a massive continent. I booked passage on a wagon, using money I had earned while sailing with Darick, and for three weeks, rode until I reached Tarren’tor. It was a massive city, like nothing I’d ever seen; full of decadent people, all who seemed to be consumed with the sense of pleasure; whether that was through flesh or inducing or smoking to enhance the sensation. As I walked through the city, I knew, deadlocked as I was, I would be alone unless I could find others to help me locate my missing sister…