Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
Sure, although I'll note that the 3.P WBL system kind of screws with how older games tended to balance owning a starship (maybe the Star Wars d20 games did something different).

In Mongoose Traveller 1e the cost of a basic ship outweighs that of the most expensive personal weapon by a factor of ten or so, and the next most expensive personal weapon by a factor of over a thousand, going only by the corebook (I'm sure allowing Mercenary and High Guard skews this comparison).

In d6 Space the most expensive personal weapons are listed as cost category D(ifficult), which is 'thousands of credits'. The cheapest ship in the corebook (an in-system defender) costs about 50,000 credits, the only interstellar ship in it is over 200,000 credits. Allowing the Space Ships book roughly cuts that in half.

I am not trawling through GURPS Ultra-Tech and Spaceships to find the comparison, because GURPS Ultra-Tech has a lot of weird stuff.

But yeah, most games don't have PC-equipment and ship-parts on the same scale, Traveller doesn't use the same units unless the thing is available for both purposes (e.g. computers).
Never played those, but I know in D6 Star Wars, for example, even if you can’t buy a weapon in the same price range as a ship, you can buy a slew of high end security droids and give them heavy blasters which in total is vastly more effective in tactical combat than upgrading your weapon.