Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
That's kind of how this started.

People said my game was too hard, I said I am just following the guidelines in the DMG, and people responded that maybe the DMG doesn't know what it is talking about; hence this thread.

The DMG absolutely says that everything should be a struggle, and actually takes it even further than I do, for example it flat out says that a fight without resource loss on the party of the players isn't a challenge and shouldn't be worth any XP.

That is actually a very good point. I can see it as being sort of a "glass half full" sort of thing, which varies from player to player:

After killing a huge dragon that took everything the party had player one might think:

"Man, that was a super tough dragon. He took everything he had! But in the end, we pulled through! We are such badasses!"

While player two might think:

"Man, that was a super tought dragon. It took everything we had to pull through! Now we have nothing left, and are the weakest and most vulnerable we have ever been!"
uh.. No that is not at all what I was saying.

What I was trying to get across is NOT that people have different expectations.

it is that YOU are giving achievements but no reward. Also, that you think the two are one in the same.

Example: Somebody has a old '65 mustang they are restoring. they finish restoration (the sense of achievement) but every time there is completion somebody comes over takes the wheels off and smashes it a few times with a sledgehammer. Now they have to do the whole thing over again (no sense of reward)

They work hard to succeed and are getting that sense of achievement from completing it. But you deny them a chance to enjoy that instead they have to struggle all over again the next day becuase you read "80% of resources" and rigidly stick to that with no room for lee way or to let the players have a chance to relax.