Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
Would you reccomend HERO or Champions? It's a case of already having a system I love for almost every genre, so would I miss out on anything by getting the superhero book instead of the generic book?

I've noticed a weird thing that people aren't willing to tolerate maths, unless it's a d20-based game. M&M doesn't really have anymore maths than GURPS, but I've seen people violently opposed to GURPS happuly play M&M.

I personally find GURPS maths easier, but that's to do with presentation.
Eh, its not hard at all, I personally prefer the way M&M works for effects compared to GURPS. It's way too granular for my liking to use in a superhero game. HERO/Champions is largely the same for me but on action resolution, the math is marginally more complicated than M&M because it actually use fractions.

As for what to get there is Champions Complete which from what I can tell is a condensed rule set along with the superhero material. Otherwise you need HERO 6th Volume 1 and 2 (each is around 400 pages the first on is just character creation, the second is GM type stuff) for the full rules, and then the superhero genre book Champions. As an aside there are a ton of Champions setting books that are really, really good and easily adaptable to your rules of choice.

I found a copy of rules... it took a while to figure it out but its a roll under system. So characters that have a notation such as 14- means roll under 14 on 3d6.

Oh there were two characters here. Mine was Armsmaster, who has gone through three iterations. Armsmaster Mk1 could create weapons and armour, and used Create because he could theoretically create a functional battleship (never had the ranks in Create for it), v2 was a replacement after he became an NPC, who used either Variable or an Array to simulate his tendency to summon melee weapons and armour. Armsmaster Mk3 is one of the mid-tier heroes in my superhero setting, who uses Create (metal) both to form weapons and a suit of armour but also to hem in opponents with walls and obstacles. In the final version Create is the right effect, because the damage is actually a small part of the powers (and the more used on weapons/armour the less for walls and the like, Create doesn't give much mass to work with).
Makes sense to me.

The other I forget the name, but they summoned magical weapons and armour with the Summon effect, because the GM misunderstood the rules. They should have had either a Variable power or a set of three:
-An array of Damage and Affliction effects to represent the wide variety of magical weapons they could summon, many of which had unique secondary effects.
-An array of Protection effects to represent their array of magical armours, many of which had secondary powers.
-A Summon effect to represent the ability to summon and remotely control one of their suits of armour. The ability to make these suits explode was used rarely enough to be represented by Power Stunting.

Now a lot of problems were caused by the GM not understanding the rules, hence the use of Summon for something it just straight up can't do.
Personally I'd be inclined to do the set of three arrays for simplicity. I tend to not use Variable unless a character needs a super broad ability. Even Doctor Strange doesn't really need Variable to represent what he can do.

But yeah, a straight up Brick or Speedster is the basic level to which you're building towards, and competitive with Array-focused builds if the GM gives some thought as to what makes sense in an array. It's more important for everybody to be on the same page and using the same rules, it wasn't fun for me when I realised that my PL11 speedster couldn't affect the enemies because they had to tank the hits of the PL18 tank when his 'only when innocents are threatened' limit wasn't weakening him*.

* Which annoyed me, he could have done his concept at the same PL as the rest of us just by accepting that he couldn't pump his Strength to 18 without any downsides.
Ugh, that PL18 thing is annoying. I really like to make sure limits are real limits, so they affect the character at least half of the time. Green Lantern not being able to affect yellow stuff is decent for a limit, there's tons of yellow things that can can be run up again (school buses for example), but a character with mind control that only affects men probably but has no reason or need to use it on women (like say Circe) really shouldn't get a discount.