Quote Originally Posted by Douglas View Post
It's been a while since I watched it, but the impression I remember getting is that he unilaterally burned the Tree fragment, used his jutsu expertise to essentially conjure up a giant lake of water for them, and called it a day. For the people there, it was essentially a walking deus ex machina showing up out of nowhere and magically fixing things, and then he left and they went right back to their previous lives, just with one less problem.

The difference that mattered for how Ashura did it is that he fostered cooperation and unity among the villagers. Indra fixed the obvious surface-level problem, but left a still-fractured village of people who didn't get along with each other very well. Ashura fixed the deeper problem in the process of solving the obvious problem, leaving a united village of people who worked together and helped each other out, and many of them chose to come with him on his return trip because of how he earned their trust and respect.

The philosophy of Ninshu was all about people coming together in peace and harmony, etc., so this difference in methods demonstrated that Ashura was much more in tune with what Ninshu was all about, while Indra had mostly missed the point and just saw the power that an expert wielder of chakra could achieve.
oooh, that fits perfectly well with the naruto character I'm roleplaying in a game, the Indra part. because most of the time, it seems half the problems of the Naruto world are due to people not having any idea how social skills work, or the real value of such skills. they just gather jutsu power and focus on how they physically solve it all.