I mean what most people want doesn't matter anymore except for universal appeal? with the fracturing of the media, one can appeal to their niche audience rather than try for something universal. sure it gets smaller audience, but that just means its more room for focused quality over mass appeal. the media fracturing can be a good thing, because now we can find a piece of media for a specific type of appeal rather than having to cater to a generic appeal, and thus hopefully mass media becomes more of a generic entry thing that can lead to one discovering more specific focused forms of entertainment that doesn't have to do that song and dance. so yeah I know realistically sharingan was going to be made that way in mass media for a big audience, but that doesn't mean I can't roleplay a sharingan user who goes megaman on people, or write a fan fic that does that instead, and the people who care about that can come and enjoy it with me and the people who don't can just do whatever they want. or I can come up with my own magical eyeball that does that because I want to personally do that sort of thing in something I write, its world of niches, a writer doesn't have to appeal to everyone.