Quote Originally Posted by Darkkwalker View Post
I dunno..... Having a spellbook doesn't strike me as right simply by flavour. Witch doctors were like a cross between druid (nature magic), cleric (villiage holy man), and wizard (magic power through knowledge). It just seems to me that the cultures that had them didn't have writing.
Personally I think they should cast through totems or talismens exclusively. Like meditate on a totem once per day to charge it with the spells you want for the day. So it's like a wizard meditating on his spells but without the spellbook aspect.
That still doesn't stike me as quite right, because they were holy men in their culture. So their magic should reflect that.
I don't know, these are just my thoughts.
Thanks. Yes, I hesitated about the spellbook part too. I've been slowly throwing ideas together for the last wee while, for a very low-tech campaign world where most characters are illiterate. My idea is that the witchdoctor is the one exception to that rule — the one person who has mastered the secret marks that somehow, mysteriously, allow you to know what another person wanted to say to you days or even perhaps years before. I'd imagine they'd have their own language, something akin to Druidic and Draconic. This campaign world already has shamans, as a separate class, to fill the role of holy man; hence the more arcane, wizardly nature of the witchdoctor.