1. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Default Re: D&D Archery

Ranged Combat Feats and Abilities I

Here is a list of feats that all qualify as one of the Marksman's bonus feats. Some of these (like the Sharpshooting feats for the Sharpshooter) will be part of a Prestige Class' class abilities. I've put every group of feats under a spoiler with a separate header to avoid filling the page too much. I realise now the layout is less-than perfect, but it'll have to do for now. Each group carries its own comment displayed in italics and is subject to further change

First thing you'll probably notice is that I've removed the Point Blank Shot feat as the prerequisite for multiple other feats. This is because I feel Point Blank Shot doesn't really capture what the most basic of feats is required to be a succesfull Ranged Combatant and I'm thinking of making the Marksmanship feat the necessary prerequisite instead.

Secondly, I could really, really, really use some help when it comes to balancing out the prerequisites of certain feats to their effect. If there is anyone willing to spend some time helping me think this through, I would appreciate it. I will note down certain feats I'm having trouble balancing.

Lastly, I must state that I've taken quite a bit of ideas and information from various sources. Among others, I've the World of Warcraft RPG sourcebook to thank for. There are probably quite a few more, but I can't remember all of them well enough to make up a list here. Credits to them anyways.

Marksmanship (Finished) Credits to Dennetik
    Spoiler
    Show

{table=head]Name|Prerequisite|Benefit
    Marksmanship|Dex 13|You may add your Dexterity modifier to the damage of Ranged Weapons you use. However, as this technique mainly resolves around finesse, you are unable to do this with any Composite Bow. For these bows, you use Bow's Strenth rating instead.
    - Improved Marksmanship|Marksmanship, Dex 15, Bab+4|You may add your Dexterity modifier to the damage of Ranged Weapons you use. As you are now able to fully harness both the finesse of the shot and the strength of your bow, you may add both the Dexterity modifier as well as the Bow's Stength Rating.
    [/table]
    Thanks to Dennetik for his advice, I've finished these two feats now.

I want Dexterity to be of influence when it comes to damage, but granting both the Dexterity Modifier and the Strength Rating in one feat at low level would result in characters firing 2 arrows per round with a +6/+7 to damage each. The second feat that allows you to do this should balance this out a bit, although I'm not sure if the Base Attack Bonus requirement is high enough.

The flavour text will explain how it is hard to combine both Force and Finesse into a single shot with little experience.

Point Blank Shot (needs work)
    Spoiler
    Show

Point Blank Shot|-|+1 Attack and +2 damage to targets within 30 ft.
    - Improved Point Blank Shot|Base Attack Bonus +11, Dex 17, Point Blank Shot|+2 Attack and +2 Damage to targets within 30 ft.
    - Close Shot|Dex 15+/17+, Point Blank Shot|Attack with a Ranged weapon without provoking attacks of opportunity.
    - Ranged Feint|Dex 15+, Int 13+, Point Blank Shot|Perform a Feint on targets within 30 ft. This takes a standard action.
    - - Improved Ranged Feint|Point Blank Shot, Dex 17+, Int 15+|You may use the Ranged Feint ability as a move-equivalent action, or you may sacrifice one iterative attack to make a single feint.
    - Ranged Threaten|Base Attack Bonus +8, Point Blank Shot|Threaten and Flank 15 ft as if wielding a reach weapon. (Perhaps I should limit the amount of Attacks of Opportunity allowed to 1, or simply disallow any Attack of Opportunity).
    - - Improved Ranged Threaten|Base Attack Bonus +12, Point Blank Shot|Threaten 30 ft.
    [/table]
    If you're playing a campaign that mainly involves playing in a Dungeon setting, this set of feats is probably for you. First of all, we have the good old Point Blank Shot feat, re-introduced as a prerequisite for only the abilities used at close range. The Close Shot feat may come in real handy when you're likely to find yourself attacked in melee combat. Though I like the fact you should be able to fire ranged weapons when engaged in melee combat without any danger, I think actually being in melee combat should also limit that ability. Therefore I'm thinking of limiting the number of attacks to 1 per round, or imposing a Reflex save (DC15+2 for each additional threatening opponent) to avoid attacks of opportunity. I have yet to balance out the prerequisites and effects of the Ranged Feint feats, as well as the Ranged Threated feats. A Combat Reflexes + High Dex + Ranged Threate and Improved Ranged Threaten build would be EXTREMELY overpowered when a group of enemies decides to charge the group's fighter 2 steps ahead of you.

Far Shot
    Spoiler
    Show

Far Shot|-|Increases your Ranged Weapon range incement by 50% and Thrown Weapon range incement by 100%.
    - Noname|Base Attack Bonus +12, Far Shot, Str? Dex? other feat?|Any ability usable within 30 ft, such as the Rogue's Sneak Attack, the Point Blank Shot Ability or the Ranged Feint Ability are usable at 60 ft. This does not apply to the Ranged Threaten Ability
    [/table]

Precise Shot (needs work)
    Spoiler
    Show

Precise Shot|-|You do not take a -4 penalty for shooting at targets in melee without any chance of hitting the wrong target. Additionally, you treat any cover but Full cover as if it were 1 category smaller. Similarly, you reduce miss chances due to anything but full Concealment by 10%
    - Improved Precise Shot|Base Attack Bonus +11, Dex 19+, Precise Shot|When you shoot at a target engaged in a grapple, you automatically strike the target you've chosen. Additionally, you treat any cover but Full cover as if it were 1 category smaller. Similarly, you reduce miss chances due to anyting but full Concealment by 20%
    - Ranged Trip|Bab +8, Dex 17+, Precise Shot|You may make trip attempts with your ranged weapon. You make a normal attack roll at a -4 penalty that deals damage normally. If it hits, you initiate a trip attempt at a -4 penalty.
    - - Improved Ranged Trip|Bab +12, Dex 19+, Precise Shot, Ranged Trip|In addtion to the normal effects, your target suffers 2 points of temporary Dexterity damage, these recover at a rate of 2 points per day (save?). You may only use this ability once per target.
    - Ranged Disarm|Bab +8, Dex 17+, Precise Shot|You may make disarm attempts with your ranged weapon. You make a normal attack roll at a -4 penalty that deals damage normally. If it hits, you initiate a disarm attempt at a -4 penalty.
    - - Improved Ranged Disarm|Bab +12, Dex 19+, Precise Shot, Ranged Disarm|In addtion to the normal effects, your target suffers 2 points of temporary Strength damage, these recover at a rate of 2 points per day (save?). You may use this ability once per target.
    - Sharpshooting|Dex 13+, Precise Shot|Next group
    [/table]

Sharpshooting (needs work)
    Spoiler
    Show

Sharpshooting|Dex 13+, Precise Shot|As a Full-Round Action, you do nothing else other than aim at your target using this feat. You may keep aiming at your target for as long as you wish, and each round adds a +2 to your next attack roll against that target (max +5). You fire the shot as a free action the round after you've finished aiming. If you are in a threatened square or subject of any attack, you lose the benefits of this feat until you start aiming again.
    - Improved Sharpshooting|Base Attack Bonus +8, Dex 15+, Precise Shot, Sharpshooting|You may aim for an attack up to a +10 to your attack roll.
    - - Greater Sharpshooting|Base Attack Bonus +14, Dex 19+, Precise Shot, Sharpshooting, Improved Sharpshooting|Each other ranged attack made in the round you fire your shot gains a bonus equal to half the bonus your original attack recieved.
    - Perfect Shot|Base Attack Bonus +6, Dex 15+, Precise Shot, Sharpshooting|As part of any Full round attack action, you may sacrifice your additional attacks to fire a single, Perfect shot. This shot deals an additional +1d6 damage on hit. You may use this in conjuction with the Sharpshooting feat.
    - - Lethal Shot|Base Attack Bonus +12, Dex 17+, Precise Shot, Sharpshooting, Perfect Shot|Whenever you gain the benefit of the Perfect Shot feat, your critical threat range increases by 2.
    - - - Fatal Shot|Base Attack Bonus +16, Dex 19+, Precise Shot, Sharpshooting, Perfect Shot, Lethal Shot|Whenever you gain the benefit of the Perfect Shot feat, your critical damage modifier increases by one (x2 becomes x3, x3 becomes x4).
    - Noname|Dex 13+, Precise Shot, Sharpshooting|You may use the Sharpshooting feat even when threatened or attacked. You must roll a Concentration check against a DC of 10+1/2 damage done to keep the benefits of your Sharp shot if you are damaged.
    [/table]

Rapid Shot & Unfocused Fire (needs work)
    Spoiler
    Show

Rapid Shot|Dex 13+|Extra Ranged Attack at highest BAB, all attacks -2
    - Improved Rapid Shot|Base Attack Bonus +11, Dex 19+, Rapid Shot|You do not take the -2 penalty when using the Rapid Shot ability
    - Manyshot|Base Attack Bonus +6, Dex 17+, Rapid Shot|Refer to PHB. Special: If you have the Quick Draw feat, you can draw and nock one extra arrow once per round as a free action.
    Unfocused Fire|?|You may elect to fire at a formation rather than a single target. You gain a +1 to hit for every 4 targets in the formation, up to your Base Attack Bonus, or 10, whichever is less. Hits are distributed at random
    - Unfocused Volley|?, Unfocused Fire|When using the Unfocused Fire feat in a Full Attack action, you gain an Extra Ranged Attack at your highest BAB. This attack stacks with any attack you may get from the Rapid Shot feat.
    [/table]

Others (needs work)
    Spoiler
    Show

Pistol Whip|Proficiency with firearms|You may use firearms in melle combat without any chance of breaking it. You are considered proficient with the use of this attack and do not incur a -4 penalty.
    Bow Strike|Proficiency with bows|You may use bows in melle combat without any chance of breaking it. You are considered proficient with the use of this attack and do not incur a -4 penalty.
    Crossbow Strike|Proficiency with crossbows|You may use crossbows in melle combat without any chance of breaking it. You are considered proficient with the use of this attack and do not incur a -4 penalty.
    Sniper shot|Base Attack Bonus +?, Dex +15, Weapon Focus with selected weapon|Select a Crossbow or Firearm weapon. You may add half your Dexterity Modifier to the damage roll of any shot you make using the selected weapon. This is in addition to any benefits gained through the Marksmanship feats.
    Rapid Reload|Proficiency with selected weapon|Select either Crossbows or Firearms. Your reload time using the selected weapons is reduced. Any weapon that requires a Full-Round action to reload now requires a Standard action to reload. Any weapon that requires a Standard action to reload now requires a Move-Equivalent action to reload. Any weapon that requires a Move-Equivalent action now requires a Free action to reload. Weapons that require multiple Full-Round actions to reload, have their reload time halved (round up)
    Shot on the Run|refer to PHB|refer to PHB
    Noname|?|+1 to attack if you have high ground. This is normally only reserved for melee weapons.
    Ranged Blindfight|?|Yet to work out
    [/table]

Template
    Spoiler
    Show

Feat|Prerequisite|Benefit
    [/table]

Last edited by Nawyria; 2007-08-09 at 12:39 AM.