1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Monster Compendium for the maligned, forgotten & misunderstood monsters

The Monster's compendium's goal:
    1) To spark a new interests in the monsters presented here, give them a new fighting chance at your gaming table.
    2) To promote creativity and ingenuity concerning the use of monsters. moving them from the mere "encounter" level to the "adventure", "plot" and "campaign" levels.

This thread gets resurrected once in a while, when I add an entry for a creature. (Or others do) The purpose of this thread is to take often disregarded monsters (Monsters who didn't catch the imagination, were too simple, too complex, lacked a coherent consistency, or weren't "game worthy" for whatever reason) and give them a makeover in a way that will enliven the interest in them, give them a boost at the gaming table, and make them viable options for DMs everywhere! This is not Homebrew! The focus is on flavor more than mechanics (Though some suggestions for altered rules will be made. But more as concepts, less as specifics) The focus is on the monster's place in the world, and interactions, place in the campaign, and playability.

Updates:
    - Been a loooong time since I touched this! I'm fixing the grammar and spelling. I'm also making a few changes to the phrasing and style, but it may take a little while... (3.8.2016)

The Compendium's structure
    This first post gives the explanation and the contents, the second gives a basic format to whomever would like to contribute themselves, and the rest are the monster entries.

Contents:
    0) opening statements, updates and content, and the basic format.

1) the Stirge: The pincher, the stinger, your favorite blood drinker!
    Here

2) The Stone Giant: It's all about the community. (Thunder Clap variant included)
    Part 1, Part 2

3) The Barghest: By the Wolf, the goblin and the unholy spirit! (Includes a most unique PrC...)
    Part 1, Part 2

4) The Gargoyle: More than a roof top decoration. (Multiple variants included)
    Part 1, Part 2

5) The Serpent Lords: "How do you like your magic poison, you son of a dragon?" (Remake of Nagas and Couatl. Several variants included)
    Part 1, Part 2

6) The Yeth Hound: By Prometheus
    Here

7) the Wight: By batsofchaos
    Here

8) The Troglodyte: "More than a case of bad odor!"
    Here

9) The Hydra: "Because 12 heads are better than one!"
    Part 1, Part 2

10) the Aranea: "Oh what a tangled web we weave..."
    Part 1, Part 2

11) Hags: "More than just a pretty face..."
    Part 1, Part 2

12) Gibbering Mouther: The flesh that slides, the teeth that gnash, the horror behind the jabber... the horror!
    Part 1, Part 2

Do you wish to contribute?
    For those of you who wish to contribute, please do (Writing this entries his time consuming for me alone). The second post includes a sample format for you to use, but as with everything here, it is only a suggestion. Feel free to work your own magic.

Also, if you have an idea for a creature you wish to see developed, feel free to suggest, though try to give at least some core ideas for the changes, as this will help us get our imaginative juices going.

Final notes:
    The monster entries are suggestions, not hard rules. It's the way we perceive them, and think they may be fun to play. The entries encompass many areas, and are usually quite encompassing (Unlike the monster entries in the MM), and most of the content is flavor, rather than Crunch. As such, I think that though the monsters detailed have been taken from the 3.5 MMs, they could easily be adapted to other versions of the game. I'm hoping you'll enjoy, and will always love ideas, critique and more!

Kol.
    Last edited by Kol Korran; 2016-08-03 at 01:39 AM.