1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Charity Rejects D&D Money - Let's Write Letters!

If you don't read Rich's news posts, the late Gary Gygax's favourite charity, Christian Children's Fund has Refused $17,000 raised by GenCon in a charity auction, because some of the money came from the selling of "Always Chaotic Evil" (If I may borrow the term from TVTropes) Dungeons & Dragons merchandise.

That's got me mad, not only because of the narrow-mindedness of the charity about D&D, but that they would refuse legitimately raised funds which would help the people they promise to help, because they disagree with what was sold. I could understand if that money was drug money, or money that was robbed from a bank, but it's not. It's legally raised by people who want to help starving children.

So I thought this thread would be a good place for those of us who want to follow Rich's idea and give them a piece of our mind. We can all write our individual letters here, as well as proof read and fact check other's letters, before sending them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    To whom it may concern,

I was most distressed to learn of your refusal of $17,000 raised at a legitimate charity auction at GenCon, citing the selling of "Dungeons & Dragons" merchandise for the refusal. First of all, I believe you have demonstrated a narrow-minded attitude to role playing games. They are not gateway games to Paganism or Satanic Worship. I myself am a devout Catholic, and to me, the game is an exercise in imagination and story telling, as well as a great way to expand one's volcabulary, and encourage team work and friendship.

The second issue I have, which is really curious, is that the late Gary Gygax, co-creator of "Dungeons & Dragons", was a follower of your charity, and after he passed away in March of this year, many "Dungeons & Dragons" players chose to donate to you, and yet these were accepted without qualm.

The final issue I have, which is far more important, is that you have refused $17,000 which could have gone to the children you have promised to protect, because you disagree with what was legally sold. I could understand if the funds were raised due to illicit activity like racketeering or drug selling, but you have chosen to put your own worldview above the needs of the children, which demonstrates a level of selfishness.

I hope you reconsider this policy in terms of future donations, because a charity should be about the cause it has chosen to champion. It's important in this world to "live and let live", and when funds are offered by someone legitimately, even if you disagree with their worldview, you should not look a gift horse in the mouth.

Yours sincerely,

[name]
    How does that look? I'm worried it's a little strong.
    Last edited by RMS Oceanic; 2008-10-31 at 05:12 AM.
    "They couldn't know that the points from the mainline to the siding were frozen, and the signal should have been set at 'DANGER', but snow had forced it down."
    - The Flying Kipper

Pixar Fanboy of the Hinjo Fanclub

Quote Originally Posted by Hallavast View Post
    Ya know? I think I'd about kill Rowling if she wasn't holding me hostage with that last book of hers...