Quote Originally Posted by The reply came:
Dear Mr. Foweraker,

Christian Children’s Fund made the decision to decline the gift from Gen Con, LLC as the request presented to us gave the appearance that CCF (the organization) was an endorser or supporter of a gaming convention, which CCF was not. As many non-profit organizations, CCF is selective in its endorsements or support in order to maintain the integrity of its name and logo. We cannot lend our name to an event for which we have no involvement. This decision should in no way be interpreted as CCF holding an opinion on Mr. Gygax, gaming enthusiasts or the game Dungeons and Dragons.
Not only is this reply a form letter, but its also horse****.

Charities have been accepting the donations of the GenCon charity auction since the second such show in 1969, before D&D was even invented. Never once has the money been refused by any charity, to my knowledge. Case in point, as mentioned, Fisher House didn't see the same legal issues with accepting the money or lending their name, nor did last year's recipient, Cristel House. The idea that all charities regularly reject money donated as a result of events in which they have no organizing hand is utter crap, cooked up by their customer service department after the fact to answer angry emails.

(Also, I'm sticky-ing this, that's how mad I am.)