1. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Charity Rejects D&D Money - Let's Write Letters!

Not sure if this is mentioned elsewhere but i'm new and this really ticked me off.

Any lawyers want to verify for me what section 501(c)(3) of the IRS tax code is referring to on its website when it says:

"A section 501(c)(3) organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests, such as the creator or the creator's family, shareholders of the organization, other designated individuals, or persons controlled directly or indirectly by such private interests. No part of the net earnings of a section 501(c)(3) organization may inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual. A private shareholder or individual is a person having a personal and private interest in the activities of the organization"

Link for those curious: http://www.irs.gov/charities/charita...123297,00.html

Am I in understanding that the Christian Children's Fund violated their tax exemption by deeming the receipt of the fully and honestly given money as ethically questionable?

Also, I visited the Better Business Bureau and noted that under #18 of their Standards for Charity Accountability that it states:

"b.providing a clear, prominent and easily accessible privacy policy on any of its websites that tells visitors (i) what information, if any, is being collected about them by the charity and how this information will be used, (ii) how to contact the charity to review personal information collected and request corrections, (iii) how to inform the charity (e.g., a check off box) that the visitor does not wish his/her personal information to be shared outside the organization, and (iv) what security measures the charity has in place to protect personal information"

Did they actually issue a statement that it was refused on the grounds of what GENcon represented? If so, did they not collect information on the effort unethically and misuse information given? Can we get that revoked too?

EDIT: I just noted that canned response called it a "gaming convention" meaning they researched it without telling GENcon organizers. Even that little note might be enough.

They violated their mission statement by not accepting the money, there's nothing a hate more than a charity that thinks it's "too good" for your effort.

My apologies for the long post, i'm just pissed.
    Last edited by satsunada; 2008-10-31 at 05:18 PM.