Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
Not only is this reply a form letter, but its also horse****.
Ohhh, yeah- I missed the 'no involvement' line. ...Well, in that case, they're also being dishonest.

But, uh... I still reckon the practical ramifications of being seen to associate with D&D may be more of a consideration for them. I mean, given they took flak for not pushing a religious agenda during their work, combined with the frightening number of people who take Jack Chick remotely seriously, I can sorta understand the bind they're in: charities deal in many thousands, even millions of dollars each year- is it worth the risk of alienating your strongest donor base, even temporarily, over the sum of $17K?
That said, I can also completely understand being pissed about it, and alienating the gamer demographic is also a measurable consequence of their actions- so... flame away, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by satsunada
"A section 501(c)(3) organization must not be organized or operated for the benefit of private interests... ...A private shareholder or individual is a person having a personal and private interest in the activities of the organization"
I'm no lawyer, but I don't see how 'the christian fringe' would count as a 'private interest' by this definition. I also don't see how anyone at the organisation could personally profit from turning down money. There's definitely something shady going on here, but you may be reaching a wee bit.
Did they actually issue a statement that it was refused on the grounds of what GENcon represented? If so, did they not collect information on the effort unethically and misuse information given? Can we get that revoked too?
Uh... it's hardly a personal secret that GenCon is associated with D&D.