Quote Originally Posted by hewhosaysfish View Post
I hope I don't offend Tippy by saying this (although, if I do, then he's not the man I think he is....) but the whole "Tippyverse" concept is, in my eyes, an extremely logical and well-thought out excercise in completely missing the effing point.

If I may offer an analogy, suppose that as winter draws in and the days get shorter, you find you don't have enough light to read by at your favourite seat by the window. To fix this, you go out and buy a new lamp. However, on getting the lamp home realise that it doesn't really provide that much light. You then have, as I see it, 4 options:

1) Strain your eyes trying to read using the dim light available from the lamp.
2) Go out and buy a brighter bulb for the lamp.
3) Go out and buy another lamp. Maybe get a refund on the defective one.
4) Notice that the lamp may not give out much light but does give plenty of heat. Forget the books and sit by the window, warming your hands by the lamp.

We probably all have varying opinion about how long we should be prepared to try #1 (if at all) before going for #2 but equally probably we all agree that we would try #2 before #3, only trying #3 if the lamp turns out to use some non-standard bulb.
Who would go for #4? Not me. It seems weird and... well... kinda stupid. If I ever find myself needing a small space heater, I may remember that the lamp would serve that purpose to it. I may recommend it to my friends for that purpose and, when the give me a strange look say "No really, try it!"
But for the moment I want light to read by.

When we discover that our chosen roleplaying system is not as good as we'd hoped at representing a medieval-fantasy-with-knights-and-wizards-and-dragons theme what options do we have?
1) Handwave the problems when they come up and try not to think about it .
2) Houserule the bits that don't work.
3) Switch to a system that hopefully works better.
4) Abandon the medieval fantasy theme in favour of some sort of magitek, pseudo-cyberpunk distopia with Wizard's Guilds instead of megacorps (ok, to Tippyverse could lead to a utopia, assuming a benevolent dictator, but leaves little room to adventure).

Not a perfect analogy, I'l admit but it wil do for now.
Ok, that's I'll take issue with. The "tippyverse" (at least the base version) does a better job of modeling D&D and dealing with adventurers than any of the standard settings. D&D expects your players to have access to Ye Old Magic Shoppe, which the cities provide. It expects political intrigue to be possible, which is what the cities provide. It expects war's against monsters and defending villages against monsters, which the wilds provide. It expects delving into ancient ruins, which the fallen cities provide.

In fact, between the wilds and the cities it covers most everything that you can come up with for adventures without any alteration of the base setting.

And at high levels is continues to provide challenges to the PC's. Why do the PC's have to deal with the big bad monster out in the wilds? Because most people of their power level are in the cities and don't care about the wilds. Why can't the PC's just gut a city before breakfast? Because that cities collection of high level mages, legions of golems, and other defenses are an actual challenge.