View Single Post

Thread: Got any Dice Questions?

1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Got any Dice Questions?

WOW ... this has to be the most number of questions I have ever answered in one post

Here goes ...

Quote Originally Posted by FMArthur View Post
    Wow, those look really ornate. Certainly nice-looking dice.
    Yep ... I agree ... Q-Workshop just keeps getting better and better at fancy dice :)

Heh, I was going to link to the video in the "dice manufacturing" thread from yesterday, thinking you might be the most interested in it, and it took me a few moments to realize that you must already know every bit of information presented there anyway.
    "Dice Manufacturing" Thread?

If you are speaking of the You Tube interview videos with Louis Zocchi ... yes ... I am very aware :) ... Lou is a good friend

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    Man, I love this thread.

So, what are your "fairest" sense of physical dice? Obviously not counting electronic ones.

EDIT:
    I'd like to know for a full D&D set, and also for your single "fairest" die of any side count.
    GameScience are the dice that in my opinion provide the most random rolls ... is this what you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by BobVosh View Post
    A few questions. Most of which aren't really related to dice other than the fact you have a horde of em.
    LOL

1. Speaking of hordes, have you ever been tempted to sleep on em like a dragon?
    Not really .. dice are quite uncomfortable to sit on ... much less lie down on :)

2. If not Scrooge McDuck swimming style?
    I did get an email request for a couple to be allowed to 'make love' in a vat filled with my dice ... I turned them down for several reasons ... but referred them to Chessex as they frequently have their 'Hot Tub of Dice' at gaming conventions

3. Lastly a dice throne to honor the amazingly large amount of dice?
    Interesting idea ... but I have nowhere to put it :)

How much does said collection weigh, not including packing? (or you if you do feel like dice-dipping)
    Truth ... I never have weighed them ... my guess would be less than a ton (2000 pounds)

Have you ever found a reason to roll your d120? If so was it off of a chart you made 120 options for?
    No and No ... but I would welcome a reason to or charts for it :)

Sorry if it is on your website, but it is blocked at work, what is the average value per die in your collection?
    THIS is the page being referred to ...

As of December 1 2008 the average cost per die is $1.63 US with $0.31 US as hipping for a TOTAL cost of $1.94 US

I know you rarely game anymore, but when you do will people bother to bring dice?
    I don't/won't bring dice for others as I acually use dice from my collection when I game ... and i have to be very careful to return them to the collection container when I am finished

In other words, do your friends assume you got thier back as far as needing dice go?
    Nope ... I am a 'hater' as that is concerned

But if we play at my house ... they are welcome to use dice from my duplicates

Are you as paranoid as some gamers about people touching your dice?
    Probably more so ... but for very different reasons

I have had dice stolen in the past ... as a result ... if there is any chance of this occuring ... it would require that I reinventory the dice for Guinness ... it has taken me 8+ years to inventory what I have now ... so yes ... I am borderline paranoid about people being around the collection

What is the highest "dice tower" you have acheived, using what kind of materials in the dice, along with sides? (dice tower being....stacking dice...hope I wasn't too obvious.) I've decided after this question my right to ask such things should be revoked.
    LOL ... I never really stacked them much ... I did however in college form a club called the Dice Spinners International

Thanks for your time.
    It was a pleasure :)

Quote Originally Posted by drakeblood4 View Post
    On a random note, have you ever pried out the dice in a game of Sorry to add to your collection?
    No but I have done several 8-Ball games

And when you see dice you don't have do you walk up to their owners and offer to purchase the dice? (That last one is obviously a yes in the case of dice sellers and flea markets and such, but I mean just random people you see rolling dice)
    I have done such at times ... or offered to trade

Quote Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
    When I moved into my new house this fall there was a lot of cleaning to do. One of the things I discovered was a die I don't understand.

It is a normal 6 sided cube shape but the sides are marked according to the scheme of n^2... 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, and 64. I have no idea where this is from/what it's intended for or why you'd want a distribution weighted like that. Can you explain?
    This kind of die is a Backgammon Doubling Die ... in a nutshell it is used to optionally double the points / wager when a double is rolled ... IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by xPANCAKEx View Post
    how do sets like dragon bones dice factor into it all (each set with apparently unique colouring)
    THESE are the dice that are being referred to in this question
    With the exception of paired pipped d6's ... and dice that are in sets for other reasons (required for a game ... come packaged togehter etc) ... I do not count duplicates ... but if a die is unique for ANY reason ... whether it be inidicia/pip/number orientation on the die ... color of the die ... color of the indicia ... I count it in the collection ... so to answer what I think is your question ... I count each die in each of these sets ...

apart from your meteorite dice, what other "odd materials" do you have in your collection?
    It all depends on what you mean by odd

I have dice made of

* Mammouth Ivory
    * Marzapan
    * Damascus (folded) Steel
    * Soap

I could probably keep going :)

whats the oddest dice rolling aid you own?
    Actually I try to reduce non collection items as much as possible ... so I don't own any dice towers / trays etc

would you like to be buried in a dice shaped coffin? If so, how many sides would you like it to have? And would be the one to roll you into your grave? Would you be open to determining what kind of wake is held by the result of said dice roll?
    No ... Not Applicable (n/a) ... No ... LOL ... that would be neat

What I am hoping to do is take advantage of http://www.lifegem.com/ and have my remains compressed into a diamond ... and then have the diamond cut into a die ... then I can be added to the collection

one last morbid question: will you donate your bones to a dice maker after you pass, for dice creation material?
    See above .. but that is an option if Life Gem is not feasable

have you given any of your dice pet names?
    Nope ... not enough time to grow attached to a particular die to warrent a name :)

are there any dice you won't play with because they're just too pretty and you don't want them getting marked up?
    Many ... particularly the Crystal Caste Dwarven Stones

what piece in your collection holds the most sentimental value?
    The second pair from the right mean a lot to me

These dice were mine from the beginning ... but were often borrowed by a college buddy Hey Fant Sparks ... who could work magic with these dice ... I had never seen anyone before ... nor since who could roll so well

I also am fond of my original set of gaming dice

are there any dice you would object to collecting (morally/personally etc)?
    I don't like collectible dice games as the dice are so hard to identify

I may object to the indicia of some dice (on moral grounds) ... but I do not refrain from collecting them ... as I am doing this for posterity (as well as for my own pleasure)
    Last edited by Kevin_Cook; 2008-12-21 at 06:05 PM.