View Single Post

Thread: Concerning NPC classes

1. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Concerning NPC classes

NPC classes are a good idea, but not thought out well enough. Yes, 20th level commoner makes no sense. However, 20th level expert does, as it represents a true master of a craft. Warrior class is supposed to represent the less skilled combatants such as common footsoldiers, but the difference between them and fighters is blurry. Above 5th level or so, it makes more sense to just give that character fighter levels and call it a day. As an example of this confusion, in a thread devoted to designing NPCs on another forum, both I and another poster made a sergeant of the city watch. However, I gave mine 2 Fighter levels and he gave his 3 Warrior levels. As for the adept, I've always had an impression that it's in fact the most commonly used NPC class except warrior. It represents a witch doctor, an acolyte cleric or an uneducated would-be wizard. I used this class to make a priest from a poor village that couldn't afford a real cleric. As far as gear goes, I think that it only makes sense to use WBL guidelines for NPCs if those NPCs are supposed to make a balanced encounter. For example, it doesn't make much sense for a 20th level Expert to have expensive gear, but it makes sense for a wealthy aristocrat to have much more money than a PC of much higher level.
    Last edited by Morty; 2009-02-26 at 10:10 AM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.