View Single Post

Thread: [3.5e] Newbie looking to play with magic

1. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Default Re: [3.5e] Newbie looking to play with magic

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    Well, your build idea won't work. Loremaster isn't enterable until after level 7 due to skill point requirements.
    Ah, ok, then I could do Wizard 7 / Loremaster 10 / Archmage 3 (though would probably more like Wizard 7 / Loremaster 5 / Archmage 3 / Loremaster 5). Arcane Reach, Arcane Power, and Mastery of Shaping would be fine. I probably would have gotten the SLA High Arcana if possible, but I think that's fine.

Still, I was primarily interested in information on the base classes. Sorry if that was unclear. Especially Cleric, Druid, and Sorcerer.

More info would be great. What books does your group have available?
    The SRD, and that's about it. I might be able to convince the DM to allow other things, but he'd rather not. He wants to keep things simple and also wants to have all of the information easily looked up on the website. This is largely for the benefit of the group, some of whom haven't played D&D in a while (and me, who hasn't at all). Just less stuff to keep track of.

The key is to try not to use very many spells per combat. 1-2 should be enough to cripple your foes badly enough that your party can kill them easily. Especially Sculpted Glitterdust. That'll be a killer. This low level build will really make you effective in the party, although your friends will all think they are doing all the work (this is the Batman style of play). Glitterdust is AMAZING, since its a multitarget Blindness, and blinding a foe is almost like casting Greater Invisibility on your whole party. Thats awesome.
    Yup, had noted Glitterdust as one of the better spells. TLN mentioned that.

But if you only use 1-2 spells, what should you do on the rest of your turns?

Don't go Mystic Theurge. You touched on all the reasons its bad. The worst is the 3 level loss. Thats just inexcusable for any class that claims to be a "primary caster".
    Yup, figured that out. Without the 3 level loss it'd be pretty awesome, obviously, heh, being able to be a Cleric or Druid and a Wizard or Sorcerer. *shrug*
    Last edited by DragoonWraith; 2009-04-03 at 07:07 PM.