Quote Originally Posted by sonofzeal View Post
Druid - powerful, very powerful, mostly due to Wildshape. A Druid with access to the right gear can out-fight just about any Fighter... AND cast top-level spells.

Cleric - similar deal to the Druid, except with Personal-only buffs (Divine Power, Righteous Might) instead of Wildshape. Gets "Turn Undead", which is not so useful for its intended purpose, but with the right feats you can spent it on awesome things (like free metamagic!)

Bard - jack of all trades, as-written sucks at about all of them. Except lying; bards are the best liars in Core D&D, rivaled only by Beguilers from PHB2 out of core. They can be turned into awesome powerhouses, but it takes a lot of effort. Definitely not newb-friendly.
Hmm... None of those sound up my alley, really. Thanks!

Sorcerer - more spells per day, but much less flexibility, as compared to a Wizard. Loses out overall, but are good for those who dislike the bookkeeping of Wizard spellcasting. Honestly not a bad choice for a newb spellcaster, as long as you pick a good set of spells (hint: you'll want something targeting each of Fort, Ref, Will, touch AC, as well as at least one flexible illusion, summoning, and buff spell).
Yeah, tough call. Things to like about both, from my perspective.

Wizard/Loremaster/Archmage is a good idea. Specializing is also a good idea, since spells-per-day are so valuable. Pick what spells you want (remember that you get 2/level, plus more for money), find what schools have the least, and ban those.
That sounds like a solid plan. Would Sorcerer/Lore/Arch be substantially different (beyond the normal differences between Wizard and Sorcerer), if I decided to do that?

That help?
Certainly does!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernir View Post
Ohi. Sure, you can join.
:sheepish: Heh, hi Ernir. Thanks.

If you are new, and want to play an Arcane Caster with a bajillion spell slots - I say Sorcerer is definitely the way to go. It lacks the bookkeeping mess that comes with "prepared" casters, and can spam more spells than anyone else (in the PHB, anyway).

The Wizard is widely regarded to be the more potentially powerful class of the two, yes.
It is just that it is also the one that is easier to screw up and more difficult to bring to its peak potential, I'd say. =/

(I have an Evoker in my flesh-and-blood group. You have read TLN's guide, so 'nuff said.)

But of course, if you want to play a bookwormy master-of-the-universe caster, screw my advice and play a goddamn Batman Wizard. You seem interested in it and you do have a nice plan for it.
So the Sorcerer sounds good but then so does the Wizard. Ah! Hard to say. I see the Sorcerer as more flexible per day (cast any known spell), but perhaps less forgiving to big mistakes later (since it's more difficult to learn new spells)? I'm a bit overwhelmed by the spell list; picking out favorite spells is easier said than done.

Stumbled across this guide to free D&D a few days ago, though, was always about to share it...
That's awesome! Cool, thanks. The Archivist is about the only one that really interests me... but he just seems like a Divine Wizard, I think I'd rather just go Arcane. But I've heard reference to the Archivist as potentially even more powerful - how so?

Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
My favorite caster for simplicity, usefulness, and fun is the Beguiler. You literally can't make bad decisions while building them, just put everything into Int and you're good. It's non-core, but one of the group might have access. Spontaneous casting from a pre-chosen list with very good spells on it, light armor, and 6+Int skills give you a lot more options than a standard Sorcerer and it's a lot easier than picking up a Wizard for the first time. Pretty much, it's Arcane Trickster out of the box.
Sounds awesome; I don't have... whatever book it's from. Not available freely, either, as far as I can tell. Thanks for the advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by lsfreak View Post
Whatever you want, really; if you've already won the encounter, no point in wasting spell slots or gold (scrolls, wands, whatever), unless you *know* you won't need them. If you need more spells to win, by all means use them.

After all the enemies are minimal threats, I usually get out the xbow/bow at that point and doing my awesome 1d6 points of damage, making sure I'm in a position where I can cast more spells if needed, without being in range of pointy things or in an area where reinforcements are likely to come from.
Quote Originally Posted by Sstoopidtallkid View Post
I bought a tea service for my Malconvoker once, so that I could drink tea during combat while my demonic hordes tore apart the souls of my enemies.

I liked that character.
Haha!

OK, now what if I wanted to do more of a summoner type character? I'm not certain I do - just curious. TLN implies that there are better choices than Wizard for that, and regardless it's not Batman anyway.