Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
The standard powergame tactic is Contingency Celerity, which grants you a free standard action. This is generally used to cast the spell you need to get out of the trouble which triggered the contingency.
Non-SRD, can't use it.

Spells like Solid Fog don't allow a save, and don't permit SR to interfere... with Shadow Conjuration, they would. It makes a "No Save, you just suck" spell into a "Will save or suck, but only in a limited area", which makes it worse than Slow. So you blow a 7th level spell (Greater Shadow Conjuration) to produce a 4th level effect (solid fog) that is nerfed to the point where it would be better to cast a 3rd level spell (Slow). How is that an effective use of magic?
Well, I actually know Solid Fog, and wouldn't Shadow that. I was talking about Acid Fog, a level 6 spell. Still, point taken. Also, looking at the list... I don't see a lot of Conjuration spells I'd like to have that I don't already know anyway. So Greater Shadow Conjuration is probably out.

Greater Shadow Evocation... It would mean losing a 5th-level spell if I wanted Contingency. Celerity's out, but that doesn't mean I won't want some Contingency. If I ditched Teleport and got Greater Teleport (see below), then I could get Contingency there...

As for the 8th level spell replacing it, Greater Shout and Sunburst seem the most interesting to me. Probably Sunburst. Thoughts?

Besides, 7th level has Mordikain's Magnificent Mansion Love Shack. It's like Rope Trick's bigger brother without the hassle of having to shinny up a rope, and with efficient staff that comes entailed with the property! While not directly combat effective, it gives you a 'reset button' on your spells. When you run low, pop your MMM and take a nap, then come back out refreshed and renewed for the next day of murder and mayhem.
Hmm... Possibly useful. I don't see much point to the servants, though, to be honest. Rope Trick could offer me about as much at CL 9... and I wasn't even planning on getting Rope Trick. The necessity of it is determined almost entirely by how hard the DM makes it for us to get a night's rest, of which there's no way of knowing...

Greater Teleport is also a 7th level spell, and one you should 'trade up' for.
Greater Teleportation seems like a pretty obvious choice, but I already have Teleport, don't want both, and am not taking any extra levels of Sorcerer with which to forget things. I was planning on Teleport at 11 and couldn't get Greater Teleport til 14. Is it worth waiting three levels for Greater?

Forcecage is a trap. It costs 1500 gp per casting. Use Greater Shadow Evocation instead. While it grants a Will save (if he makes the save, the forcecage vanishes) it doesn't cost components, and like you said... with the sky-high saves on your illusion spells, it's not going to be easy to make.

Prismatic Spray is another good one, since you are a Sorcerer and not a Wizard who banned Evocation. Roll higher than a 3 and it's a Save or Loose effect. Roll an 8 and it could be TWO Save or Loose effects. In a Cone-shaped burst. Cone of LOSE!

Finger of Death and Reverse Gravity are also nice 7th level spells to have.
I have Finger of Death and Reverse Gravity. Rev Grav is nice because it's no-SR; Finger of Death because it's die or damage, which I like.

Issues with Forcecage are noted.

Prismatic Spray... I have a fair number of save-or-loses. And a fair number of no-save you-sucks. Is there any particular reason why that one is better? Three of those are "just" damage, two of them kill any loot the enemy may have had... etc.