View Single Post

Thread: Reducing the LA of the ghost

1. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Reducing the LA of the ghost

I'm just throwing ideas around here, but what does people think about:

Altering corrupting touch so that you can channel it through natural and manufactured wapons? This would allow noncaster ghosts to join combat without having to pay for ghost-touch weapons. It would also allow monster races to use their natural weapons on material foes as well as ethereal foes.

Instead of adding LA, the ghost template could add undead HD. This would help with hp and saves, something high-LA (and low-level-low-LA) characters have problems with.

Allow LA OR undead HD to increase caster level, but not spell levels and spells known. This would allow casters to not fall behind on damage, but still pay a price for some of the (optional) juicier abilities the ghost offers.

Instead of losing X levels + XP when rising as a ghost, you lose a number of levels equal to the undead HD you gain when becoming a ghost. This means the basic ghost is available at level 3 and the more advanced ghost abilities being available to higher-level characters. This variant would of course come with the option to trade in character levels for undead HD if a ghost later wishes to choose extra special abilities. It also means you won't suddenly jump ahead of the party when you (un)die.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by Norr; 2009-06-14 at 09:07 AM.
    Don't take anything I say too seriously.