2009-08-12, 10:53 PM (ISO 8601)
Re: GITP Monster Competition XXXVI: A Thing of Beauty
Medium Fey (Air, Water)
Hit Dice: 6d6 (21 hp)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
Armor Class: 12 (+2 Dex), touch 12, flat-footed 10
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+2
Attack: Enfeeblement bolus +5 ranged touch (see text)
Full Attack: Enfeeblement bolus +5 ranged touch (see text)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Mist shroud
Special Qualities: Amphibious, damage reduction 10/cold iron, daylight vulnerability, low-light vision, semi-ethereal
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +4, Will +10
Abilities: Str 8, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 17, Wis 21, Cha 21
Skills: Bluff +14, Diplomacy +14, Escape Artist +11, Gather Information +14, Hide +13, Listen +10, Move Silently +13, Sense Motive +14, Spot +9, Swim +19
Feats: Improved Initiative, Run, Stealthy
Environment: Elemental Plane of Air, Elemental Plane of Water, Ethereal Plane
Challenge Rating: 8
Alignment: Usually chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +2
The creature in the shadows resembles a half-elf woman, with pale skin and wise silver-grey eyes. Her long hair, too, is silver, but there is no other sign of age on her. She is draped in mist, and appears to be gently floating just off the ground.
Mist maidens are creatures of the twilight and the shadow, melting into nothingness at the merest touch of the sun. They are invariably female, and require males of other races to breed. Other fey are their usual mates, but the elusive maidens may smile upon elves or even, rarely, human bards or druids.
A mist maiden is the same size and weight as a female half-elf.
Mist maidens avoid direct combat if possible, preferring to misdirect their foes and flee. However, a mist maiden who has been forced or tricked into the sunlight may develop a deadly thirst for revenge, stalking her foes ethereally and waiting for nightfall before choking the life out of them.
Mist Shroud (Su): A mist maiden's body is perpetually enveloped in shifting wreaths of silvery fog. She can manipulate this covering in any of the following ways:
All mist shroud saving throws, and the Escape Artist check for the Binding effect, have a DC of 18. This DC is Charisma-based.
- Binding: Three times per day, the mist maiden can cause snaking tentacles of dark cloud to entangle any creature within 40 feet of herself (Reflex negates). The creature can break free by using a full-round action to make an Escape Artist check (Strength checks are ineffective against the cloud). The tentacles persist for 6 minutes and will follow the creature, attempting to entangle it again once each round, until such time as it moves out of range.
- Choking: Once per day, the mist maiden can enhance her Enfeeblement attack (see below) with a choking effect. If the target fails its Fortitude save against the Enfeeblement, it must immediately make a further Fortitude save or fall prone and helpless, coughing in a doomed attempt to breathe. If the saving throw fails, the target must make another Fortitude save on the next round or become unconscious. An unconscious target must make yet another Fortitude save on the following round or die.
A target who successfully makes any of the above Fortitude saves is no longer helpless, but still coughs uncontrollably (and is thus effectively nauseated) for the next three rounds. Creatures who do not breathe are immune to this attack.
- Concealment: At will, the mist maiden can replicate the effect of an obscuring mist spell (no saving throw).
- Enfeeblement: At will, the mist maiden can make a ranged touch attack to fling a bolus of fast-moving cloud at an enemy within 40 feet of her. If she hits, the target is automatically exhausted and sickened for 3 rounds (no saving throw); further, the target must make a Fortitude save or take 1d6 temporary Strength damage.
- Fascination: Three times per day, the mist maiden can replicate the effect of a hypnotic pattern, although the effect is always centred on herself (Will negates).
- Flight: At will, the mist maiden can fly at her usual speed with perfect maneouvrability.
- Stupor: Three times per day, the mist maiden can replicate the effect of a mind fog spell, although the effect is always centred on herself (Will negates).
- Vitality: The mist maiden has fast healing 5.
If a mist maiden wears armour or clothing of any kind, her mist shroud ceases to function. The shroud itself is usually sufficient for the purposes of modesty, should the mist maiden choose to pay any heed to such conventions.
Amphibious: A mist maiden can freely breathe either air or water. Underwater, her mist shroud appears as a cloud of glittering bubbles, and functions fully in all respects even when emulating spells which do not usually function underwater.
A mist maiden uses her Dexterity to swim, and has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. (This bonus is included in the stats block.) She can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. She can use the run action while swimming, provided she swims in a straight line.
Daylight Vulnerability: A mist maiden cannot endure the direct rays of the Material Plane sun. Each round of exposure deals 1 point of damage to her. While so exposed, she can take only a single move action each round, and her mist shroud evaporates and cannot function. A mist maiden forced or tricked into entering the sunlight will immediately shift to the Ethereal Plane, and from there to the Elemental Plane of Air or of Water, to escape.
Semi-Ethereal (Su): A mist maiden can shift to the Ethereal Plane as part of any move action, and shift back again as a free action. From the Ethereal Plane she can access the Material Plane, the Elemental Plane of Air, or the Elemental Plane of Water with equal ease. On the Material Plane, a mist maiden treats an area fully illuminated by sunlight as a near-solid object. If she tries to become material in such an area she is shunted off to the nearest shaded space and takes 1d4 damage for each 10 feet that she so travels. The ability is otherwise the same as the ethereal jaunt spell (caster level 15th).
Last edited by NakedCelt; 2009-08-19 at 01:29 AM.
Reason: Tidying up