2009-11-29, 05:49 PM (ISO 8601)
Barbarian in the Playground
[3.5] Generic Race 2.0
The original generic race I made was kind of bad, I think, because I went about it the wrong way. Here is a different version, which I feel is much better, that is based on the way the generic class abilities are built instead of the archetypes.
The generic race is no longer a PC tool. It is a DM tool. The DM decides what the attributes for each race in his setting will be. The generic race is helpful simply because it balances out every race. Hence, the attributes are not meant to be definitive. They are a guideline for current and future races. Hopefully, any idea that you come up with can fit into one of the three categories, so that balance can be kept.
All races select one score to get +2 to and one score to get -2 to.
Base land speed is 30 feet. All bonuses are racial bonuses. Any mention of spell-like ability can be replaced with psi-like ability.
For the purposes of the type change attributes, it is assumed that my modified types are being used to make type less powerful. A race may have one minor attribute, one moderate attribute, and one major attribute. It may trade its moderate attribute for two minor attributes, and/or its major attribute for two moderate attributes.
- Small size and 10 feet slower base land speed. Small races cannot gain racial bonuses to Hide as an attribute.
- Large size.
-Warning: Adding this to a humanoid race could become broken once enlarge person is added in. I suggest that you make Large humanoid races monstrous humanoids instead. It is also advised not to combine this with Powerful Build.
- +2 to a skill.
- +4 to a specific use of a skill, such as Hide in a certain terrain, or Disguise to impersonate a specific race.
- Remove your -2 penalty to an ability score.
- +1 natural armor.
- +1 bonus to saves against something specific, or a specific type of save.
- Trancing for 4 hours instead of sleeping, half required daily intake of food, the Amphibious special quality, or the Hold Breath ability.
- A subtype that gives benefits, but also a substantial drawback, such as Fire or Cold.
- Level 0 SLA 1/encounter, caster level = character level.
- Level 1 SLA 1/day, caster level = character level.
- Two natural claw attacks dealing 1d6 damage (19-20, x2) for a Medium-sized creature.
- Two natural slam attacks dealing 1d8 damage for a Medium-sized creature.
- Naturally Psionic, granting 1 or 2 power points.
- Stability as a dwarf or creature with more than two legs.
- A minor unique racial ability, such as a dwarf's Stonecunning.
- Level 0 SLA at-will, caster level = character level.
-Warning: If you don't want your players to be fully healed after every encounter, do not create a race with cure minor wounds as an at-will SLA.
- Level 1 SLA 1/encounter, caster level = character level.
- Level 2 SLA 1/day, caster level = character level.
- +4 to a skill.
- +8 to a specific use of a skill, such as Hide in a certain terrain, or Disguise to impersonate a specific race.
- Telepathy 100 feet.
- Scent and blindsense 30 feet.
- Pinch Healing 1. This version of Fast Healing only functions when your current health is below half of your maximum health.
- +2 natural armor.
- +1 bonus to all saves.
- +2 bonus to saves against something specific, or a specific type of save.
- Type change to undead or construct.
- A subtype that gives moderate benefits, such as Shapechanger.
- A climb or swim speed of 30 feet.
- 10 feet faster base land speed. Small creatures with the dwarf unique racial power instead gain 5 feet faster base land speed.
- One natural bite or gore attack dealing 1d10 damage (x3) for a Medium-sized creature.
- Naturally Psionic, granting 1 power point per level.
- 1 point of essentia.
- A substantial unique racial ability, such as an illumian's sigils.
- Level 1 SLA at-will, caster level = character level.
-Same warning for cure minor wounds applies to cure light wounds.
- Level 2 SLA 1/encounter, caster level = character level.
-Be very careful with this one. Detect thoughts or darkness could be cool, but glitterdust or rope trick could be way too good.
- Any bonus feat.
- +4 natural armor.
- +2 bonus to all saves.
- +4 bonus to saves against something specific, or a specific type of save.
- Fast Healing 1.
-Same caution for at-will healing spells applies here.
- Type change to elemental or ooze. If elemental, includes an element subtype.
- A subtype that gives major benefits, such as Incorporeal. Archon, and possibly others, should not be given to players.
- A burrow speed of 20 feet.
- A fly speed of 30 feet, gained slowly over your first 5 HD, as a raptoran.
- A climb speed as the spell spider climb.
- 20 feet faster base land speed. Small creatures with the dwarf unique racial power instead gain 10 feet faster base land speed.
- Blindsight 30 feet. You must state which sense grants this blindsight, so that you can be blinded if it is negated.
- Tremorsense 60 feet.
- A powerful unique racial ability, such as a goliath's Powerful Build.
These are things that mostly add flavor to a race and don't change its balance in any way. They can be added on to races at the DM's discretion.
- A unique racial ability which is insignificant or comes with a penalty, such as a dwarf's ability to move normally in heavy armor (reduce base speed 10 feet for taking this as a Medium creature, or 5 feet for a Small creature) or Light Sensitivity.
- Low-light vision.
- Type change to anything other than undead, construct, elemental, or ooze.
- A subtype with little to no mechanical benefits, such as Good or Aquatic.
- Weapon or Armor Familiarity.
- A natural claw or slam attack dealing 1d4 damage for a Medium-sized creature (don't add this more than once).
A small penalty to something could justify a small bonus to something else, or a slightly stronger racial power, but it is highly recommended to not go overboard.
- An extra -2 to a stat could allow for the equivalent of an extra Minor ability. The removal of a +2 stat bonus could do the same.
- The removal of the first level feat could allow for a much more powerful Major ability, or two on the weaker side, if it is absolutely required for the flavor of the race. Note that this only makes sense for races with alien minds, or those that are usually mindless.
- 10 feet slower base land speed could be worth an extra Moderate ability, or an increase in speed of an alternate movement mode by 10 feet.
- In general, the rule of thumb that these suggestions have followed is that a penalty equal to the bonus that an ability type would give is worth one of those abilities.
If you cannot think of a good reason to pick one of these races over another, or would always pick one race, I would like to hear about it. The idea here is to come as close to perfect balance as possible. I've lifted these races from the generic class thread, as that is where I now keep the most up-to-date listing. Weapon and armor familiarities are not listed.
Human - +2 Intelligence, +2 to any two skills, any bonus feat.
Dwarf - +2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity, Stonecunning, +2 to Craft (Stonework) and Appraise, Tremorsense 60 feet, move normally in heavy armor but -10 base land speed.
Elf - +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, Trance 4 hours, +2 to Spot and Listen, 20 feet faster base land speed, Low Light Vision. Elf subraces might have a swim speed or cantrip at-will instead of the skill bonuses, and a different ability bonus and penalty.
Gnome - +2 Constitution, -2 Strength, Small size, prestidigitation at-will, +2 to Craft and any three Knowledge skills. A more fey-like gnome subrace might have speak with animals at-will instead of the skill bonuses.
Halfling - +2 Dexterity, -2 Strength, Small size, +2 to Jump and Move Silently, any bonus feat.
Half-Elf - +2 Charisma, -2 Constitution, Trance 4 hours, +2 to Diplomacy and any one other skill, any bonus feat.
Half-Orc - +2 Strength, -2 Charisma, Darkvision, +2 to Intimidate and any one other skill, any bonus feat
Orc - +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, Darkvision, scent and blindsense 30 feet, Powerful Build. The rare orcish shamans have a Wisdom bonus instead of a Strength bonus.
Goblin - +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, Small size, +4 to Move Silently, 20 feet faster base land speed, Goblinoid subtype. A worg-riding goblin subrace might have 10 feet faster base land speed instead, and gain a +4 bonus on Ride checks. The rare goblin shamans have a Wisdom bonus instead of a Dexterity bonus.
Hobgoblin - +2 Constitution, +4 to Move Silently, any bonus Fighter feat, Goblinoid subtype.
Kobold - +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, Small size, +2 to Craft (Traps, Explosives, and Poisons), two natural claw attacks dealing 1d4 damage (19-20, x2), Slight Build, Reptilian and Dragonblooded subtypes, Low-light vision.
Minotaur - +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, Large size, Natural gore attack dealing 2d8 damage (x3), Natural Cunning, Monstrous Humanoid type.
Ogre - +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, Large size, scent and blindsense 30 feet, 10 feet faster base land speed, Giant type.
Raptoran - +2 Wisdom, +2 to Spot and Listen, delayed flight.
Fiend - +2 Any, -2 Any, Darkvision (can see even in deeper darkness), +1 natural armor, two natural claw attacks dealing 1d6 damage (19-20, x2), a bite, gore, or tail attack dealing 1d10 damage (x3), telepathy 100 feet, Outsider type, Evil subtype, your choice of Lawful, Chaotic, or no extra subtype.
Angel/Archon - +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution, immunity to petrification, tongues 1/day, delayed flight (none is possible until level 5, when the angel grows wings), Outsider type, Good subtype, your choice of Lawful, Chaotic, or no extra subtype.
Warforged - +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, +2 to Intimidate, Living Construct type, Composite Plating, any bonus Warforged feat or Fighter bonus feat.
Elan - -2 Charisma, Naturally Psionic (+2 PP), elan racial powers (Resistance, Resilience, and Repletion), Aberration type.
Vampire - +2 Charisma, Undead type, summon creatures of the night 1/encounter. Summon creatures of the night functions as summon swarm or summon nature's ally II, but only summoning 1d3 wolves for the latter. Unlike most undead, vampires must feed on blood to sustain themselves, and have tiny fangs designed for this purpose. A creature must be helpless, pinned, or willing to be fed on, and suffers 1d4 Constitution damage per round of feeding, which is a standard action.
Changeling - +2 Charisma, -2 Wisdom, +2 to Sense Motive, Shapechanger subtype, Minor Change Shape racial power.
Lizardfolk - +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, Hold Breath (x4), +2 natural armor, +2 to Swim and Balance, natural bite attack dealing 1d10 damage (x3), Reptilian subtype.
Gnoll - +2 Strength, -2 Charisma, +2 to Knowledge (Religion), scent and blindsense 30 feet, Powerful Build, Monstrous Humanoid type.
Troll - +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, Large size, two natural claw attacks dealing 1d8 damage (19-20, x2), +1 natural armor, scent and blindsense 30 feet, pinch healing 1, Giant type.
Githyanki - +2 Dexterity, -2 Wisdom, Naturally Psionic (+2 PP), psionic daze 1/encounter, far hand at-will.
Githzerai - +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, Naturally Psionic (+1 PP), inertial armor 1/encounter, catfall at-will.
Centaur - +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, Large size, Stability, +4 to Survival, 20 feet faster base land speed, always counts as mounted, Monstrous Humanoid type.
Fire Elemental - +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, deals 1d6 fire damage to anything touched or touched by (a weapon of solid metal can transfer this damage as well), Elemental type, Fire subtype, unarmed strikes and natural attacks deal fire damage instead of their normal type, cannot enter water, deals 1d6 fire damage per round to held or worn objects unless fireproofed (costs 150 gold for magical items or 15 gold for nonmagical), no feat from first level.
Water Elemental - +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, Drench, Vortex, Elemental type, Water subtype, swim speed 50 feet but -10 base land speed, can breathe air and water, no feat from first level.
Earth Elemental - +2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, +3 natural armor, burrow speed 20 feet, Earth Glide but -10 base land speed, Elemental Type, Earth subtype, no feat from first level.
Air Elemental - +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, Whirlwind, Elemental Type, Air subtype, fly speed 20 feet with clumsy maneuverability at 1 HD, 30 ft/poor at 2 HD, 40 ft/average at 3 HD, 50 ft/good at 4 HD, 60 ft/perfect at 5 HD, no base land speed, no feat from first level.
Thri-Kreen - +2 Dexterity, -2 Charisma, Naturally Psionic (+1 PP), +4 to Jump, four arms, Monstrous Humanoid type, unarmed strikes deal piercing damage instead of bludgeoning, no feat from first level.
Young Adult True Dragon - +2 Strength, -2 Dexterity, Large size, +1 natural armor, elemental subtype appropriate for your dragon type (if it grants no benefits, increase natural armor by +1), delayed flight (poor maneuverability, but 10 feet faster base land speed), natural claw attack dealing 1d6 damage, Dragon type. For advancement into an Adult true dragon, see the race in the generic class thread.
Last edited by Baron Corm; 2014-01-19 at 04:40 PM.