View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] Psywarp (Psionic Ur-Priest){PEACH}

1. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: [3.5] Psywarp (Psionic Ur-Priest){PEACH}

Thanks for giving it a look and response.

Know(Arcana) seems incredibly weird on a class that doesn't have Know(All) -or- the ability to cast arcane spells. Wait, I just(read: 4 paragraphs of typing later) noticed that Know(Arcana) is a requirement. Why?
    It's an Ur-Priest analog, which also has Knowledge (Arcana) required - and the same number of Knowledge skills required, if I didn't make a transpositional error. The Knowledges listed as requirements were the best fits to the theme of the PrC.

What's the 'standard' entry into the class?
    Given the number of skills required at specific lengths, Factotum is almost expected. Cloistered Cleric, Erudite, and - oddly - Shugenja are also candidates, but Erudite would waste a feat on Closed Mind, and Cloistered Cleric/Shugenja don't have the class skills to make entry reasonable before 10th without dips or feat expenditure.

Power's Known follows a non-patterned progression that front-loads powers to the start of the class. Since you're gaining more than one per level, there's no harm in evening it out a bit more to reward longer term investments, from what I can tell.
    Not sure that I understand this point as phrased. Only 2 powers/level are ever given, with only 1/level given at specific, listed, spots. The Psywarp's progression gives the largest number of powers known to 5th level, right in the middle of the progression.

Assuming power resistance works exactly like spell resistance, I'd up your numbers. Right now, they're approximately equal to the character's ECL, which means they're auto-pass by equal-leveled opponents or opponents with ML buffs. I'd also scale this one better. Perhaps make it based on class levels, like 21 + class level. That'd give you PR = 31 at L20, which only gives you a 50% shot at negating an equal manifester's powers.
    The numbers are equivalent to the SR given for Ur-Priest, over a (potentially) larger group of adversaries, so I'm reluctant to increase them unless the class is otherwise weak.

Staggering madness seems a little overpowered considering that I just looked through the SRD and there's a psionic restoration out there(Isn't there feat that adds any power to your powers known?) And then there's things like cohorts, party members, and so many other ways to get rid of drain. Burn might work for you, though.
    I used Staggering Madness as a way to get Psywarp's manifester level sufficiently high to manifest the upper level powers; without it, manifester level at 10th level is 10, insufficient to spend the number of PP needed for a 9th level power unless you're using Practiced Manifester and specific tricks. I chose ability drain because it is more difficult to overcome than damage, but damage/drain/burn all have multiple methods of being overcome, especially with the help of other party members and cohorts.

Last edited by Amphetryon; 2010-03-16 at 03:27 PM.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show