Quote Originally Posted by Mad Mask View Post
Then in that case, I'd suggest teleportation, perhaps taking the route of the Battlestar Galactica jump drives: you can technically jump anywhere in the universe, but the farther the distance is, the less likely you're going to be close to your intended destination, since the drive requires extremely precise calculations (made by a phlebotinum calculator on board of a spacecraft).
A workable idea, but we should avoid directly imitating another work. Draw ideas from it and develop them surely, but not ape them directly.
If you've already strayed from Battlestar Galactica's drives in your synopsis, then I apologise, I'm not familiar with the show.
So to go to a neighbouring star system, a craft would generally make several small "jumps", each time readjusting its readings and redoing the calculations; this operation takes a lot of time, making combat teleportation somewhat difficult.
While jumping around within combat would be difficult, I would imagine that one might be able to make a jump out of combat with little worries. Leaping, say, an AU straight up from the orbital plane of a system would put some distance between you and an attacker, and the space up there is pretty empty so a precise jump wouldn't be needed.
Earth should be a fairly minor planet with no unified government.
No unified government, possibly, but minor planet? Much of H2.0 would still be terran, and Earth supported a corporation which grew large enough to split off and form it's own faction.
It'll be a change from all the geocentric science fiction.
Sci-fi focusses on Earth for a reason. The readers are human. The characters are frequently human, so that we might associate with them. And humanity, as a whole, is rather attached to the insignificant little blue planet. We happen to live here, after all.