1. - Top - End - #1393
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tactics VI: Chaos Bringing Eternal Darkness? I brought my flashligh

Remember how to write a list? Well, it's been brought to my attention that, at the super-duper 'Ard Boyz tournaments, they play 2250. I've never had the (mis/)fortune of going along to those ones. The tournaments I play at are 1750 max. And that's fine. I only seem to play 2000 points in casual games.

Anyway, here's that sample.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hey everyone, I've just gone out and bought Assault on Black Reach and a Battleforce, and, here's what I've got so far for my Space Marines army
    While it's not entirely necessary to introduce yourself like this, it lets people know what you have available at this point and so gives them an indication of why you've taken what you've taken. Still, the main thing that people reading this will see is that we're using the Space Marines codex.

Of course, if you're writing a list for a tournament, you never have to do this.
    So, here's the Raw List that we'll be working from.

Raw List.
    Spoiler
    Show
    HQ
    Captain - 160 Points
    Bolter, Relic Blade, Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs
    Hellfire Rounds

ELITES
    Teminator Squad (x5) - 200 Points

Dreadnought - 105 Points

TROOPS
    Tactical Squad (x10) - 240 Points
    Meltagun
    Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Teleport Homer
    + Rhino

Tactical Squad (x10) - 195 Points
    Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher
    Sergeant: Bolter and Power Weapon

Tactical Squad (x5) - 90 Points

Scout Squad (x5) - 75 Points
    Shotguns

FAST ATTACK
    Assault Squad (x5) - 135 Points
    Flamer
    Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

Total: 1200 Points

HQ
    Captain - 160 Points
    Bolter, Relic Blade, Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs
    Hellfire Rounds
    You'll notice the HQ heading. You don't have to to write that, but, it organises your list somewhat.

From what this author has seen, when GW is teaching new players to write new lists, they write 'Space Marine Captain'. You can if you want. I didn't. You'll notice that Hellfire Rounds gets a line to itself, that's mostly because it alters the way model is played, and could be considered a special rule that people need to pay attention to. Jump Packs or Bikes are sometimes also written on a new line.
    'Bolter with Hellfire Rounds' is also acceptable. Even though Hellfire Rounds is far down the list on Captain's Wargear options, it gets placed where it would make sense or be less confusing.

You'll also notice that the points cost of the whole model is shown, and definitely not individual pieces of Wargear.

ELITES
    Teminator Squad (x5) - 200 Points

Dreadnought - 105 Points
    By writing nothing, we've indicated that the units are straight out of the Codex. No fiddling necessary. We don't need to say that the Terminators have Storm Bolters and Power Fists, and we don't need to tell people that the Dreadnought has a Multi-Melta. If it's not written down, people will assume the default.

TROOPS
    Tactical Squad (x10) - 240 Points
    Meltagun
    Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Weapon, Teleport Homer
    + Rhino
    Like the Terminators, we don't need to explain that eight of the Space Marines carry Bolt Pistols and Bolters. The Sergeant gets his own line, with his weapons known, as the Sergeant has the option of 'and/or' replacement. The Rhino is also clearly part of the unit and it's points cost is included in the unit's total.

Tactical Squad (x10) - 195 Points
    Plasma Gun, Missile Launcher
    Sergeant: Bolter and Power Weapon

Tactical Squad (x5) - 90 Points

Scout Squad (x5) - 75 Points
    Shotguns
    We already put the unit with the Transport up first, so, that's out of the way. The next units are the other Tactical Squads, as they come before Scouts in the Codex. Once again, on the top Tactical Squad, we've indicated what the Sergeant didn't replace.
    The Tactical Squad with only five models - and the least options - comes dead last. With the Scouts following, as they come next in the Codex.

Astute readers will also notice that I've written my list Elites => Troops, in opposition to the Codex.

FAST ATTACK
    Assault Squad (x5) - 135 Points
    Flamer
    Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Power Fist

Total: 1200 Points
    You'll also notice that, aside from the Tactical Squad with an Attached Transport, we're yet to take up more than 3 Lines for any single squad. You'll also see we've included a Total Points Cost at the end of the list.

Anyway, that's what I've got, I'm wondering what I should take out to get it down to 1000 points, or what I can add to it to get to 1250 or 1500 points so I can play some bigger games. I really like the Assault Squad so I want to keep that if I can. Or even get more, lol.
    This last part is pretty much for posting on the internet only. It tells people what you want to do, and what your points cap is. You'll notice that the person writing this list likes Assault Squads. Since his Captain doesn't really synergise with the rest of his army, this tells his readers to immediately think about maxing the Assault Squad and replacing the Captain with a Chaplain with Jump Pack (they'd probably want to do that anyway ).

The important thing about an Army List is that your reader shouldn't have to look too hard to find the information your reader needs to know.

And, yes. That is pretty much the best list you can make with only AoBR and a Battleforce.
    You could replace the Scouts' Shotguns with Combat Blades. If you want.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2010-06-16 at 12:38 AM.
    Steam Name: Cheesegear
    League of Legends Name: Cheesegear
    You can fight like a krogan or run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome