MEGATRON HAS FALL-, oh, Stardream? Sorry.
Quote Originally Posted by Stardream Kaurrek
Journal of Stardream Kaurrek, Illumian Duskblade

Sources beyond the SRD: Races of Destiny, PHB 2, Complete Warrior, Complete Arcane

Adventure's Beginning (1st-6th)
Spoiler
Show
I leave the enclave of my birth this day, to learn of the world outside. It is our custom for each young Stardream to leave the enclave when he or she comes of age. Returning after two decades or more, more experienced, wiser, and with an amazing repository of tales and knowledge to share. I keep this journal so that I will not forget what I have seen. My scattered knowledge may yet assist me in my travels, and my natural strength will hopefully keep me from being slain by an owlbear my first night away. I will see the world, but my heart and soul is eternally devoted to the Stardream.

Stardream Kaurrek
LG Illumian Duskblade 1
Spoiler
Show

Stats (32 point buy): Str 18, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 2 ranks, Knowledge (geography) 2 ranks, Knowledge (history) 2 ranks.
Feats: Monkey Grip

Wielding a Large greatsword for maximum damage. Duskblade has all the necessary skills, meaning that Kaurrek can pick up most of the necessary skills at 1st level. Illumian is key.

I entered the human nation of Qynaere yesterday. At first I thought I had gone the wrong way, as there are so many other races here. I met some odd people in the local inn. Minna, a halfling druid, Emeline, a rather pretty human cleric, Hadriss, an elven wizard, and Daven, a gnome scout. They said that they were adventurers, and invited me to join them. I did, and we began our travels.
---
Kobolds ambushed us while we were sleeping. I’ve never seen Daven so fierce before. Apparently there’s some old hatred between the gnomes and kobolds. Religion was never my strong suit. The tale of Garl Glittergold and Kurtlumak is copied down on the next page. It is an interesting tale, to be sure. Perhaps the cabal will be interested. I do not think we yet have a word-for-word retelling of the story in our cabal library.
---
No one told me adventuring was so dirty. We spent two weeks slogging through a swamp to catch that yuan-ti sorceress, and never found her or that illustrated manuscript she stole. So we’re going to spend two more weeks here getting out. Lovely. I’m out of ink too.
---
Hadriss has told me all about the original duskblades. I feel truly honored when I realize the legacy of my chosen path. The tale he told is copied down on the following page, for future reference. Daven's drunk and telling increasingly horrible jokes and Minna's deep in discussion with Emeline about the nature of faith. We caught the yuan-ti. I am truly blessed to have these friends.
-----
How many years has it been since I last wrote in this journal? My cabal seems so far away, so secondary. It is an odd feeling, to remember a time when I adventured only for my cabal. I still remember the impulse and duty that drove me to write those words. I don’t feel that devotion any more. I am a proud father to a half-human child, a successful scholar, and a skilled adventurer. If my cabal could see me, I likely would be cast out at once. I swore I wouldn’t forget, swore I wouldn’t let go. But I have let go, and I do not regret it.

Kaurrek Stardream
LG Illumian Duskblade 4/Fighter 2
Spoiler
Show
Stats (32 point buy): Str 19, Dex 13, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Decipher Script 2 ranks, Jump 6 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 2 ranks, Knowledge (geography) 2 ranks, Knowledge (history) 2 ranks.
Feats: Monkey Grip, Combat Casting (duskblade bonus), Improved Sigil (Aesh), Weapon Focus (greatsword) (fighter bonus), Power Attack (fighter bonus), Cleave
Sigils: Aesh (+2 on Strength-based skill checks), Krau (+2 caster level)

The whole idea is a melee fighter with magic who goes SAD for Strength and deals amazing damage to multiple foes. Duskblade gives Combat Casting, freeing up a feat slot.

Right now, Kaurrek is a melee fighter, a duskblade with a fighter dip. nothing extraordinary. Tactics involve hitting things with a comically oversized greatsword charged with various spells. You can cast a lot of spells after you get Aeshkrau, and it pulls you towards being SAD for Strength. Shocking Grasp and Chill Touch are two solid spell choices.

Drink Me (7th-12th)
Spoiler
Show

Daven, Hadriss, Minna, and I are going to fight a terrible black dragon that has been ravaging the south. I am curious to see a dragon face to face for the first time, and am sincerely hoping that I and my friends survive.
---
By the gods, today was a nightmare. I’d rather face down that black dragon again than celebrate my hollow victory. My feet have blisters, my fingers have blisters, my blisters have blisters, and they want me to dance and revel despite the fact that two of my comrades died to kill that dragon. I much prefer to sit here, writing in the empty alchemist’s lab. The wine I am drinking tastes utterly awful, and has this metallic aftertaste. Perhaps I should be thinking, not drowning my sorrows in poorly made wine. But I don’t want to think. Thinking brings back memories that I don’t need. Not right now.
---
I feel awful. My skin is cold and clammy, my fingers are clumsy, and I’ve crushed three quills already. If I didn’t know better, I’d say my skin definitely has a greenish tinge to it. I must contact Minna. It will not do to show up to my own knighting ill.
---
Am I going crazy? My skin feels as cold as ice, as hard as steel, and is tinted green. I see the world through blurred eyes, now the color of emeralds, no pupils or whites visible. I feel this ache in my bones, a hunger for something that cannot be quenched by food or drink. What is happening to me?
-----
Time was, I’d find this more amusing. A human turned into a being of words and symbols turning into a statue of metal. As it is, I can only struggle to cry, and curse my luck. I do suppose I brought this upon myself somehow. My sense of touch is numbed, as if I am separated from the world by a thick cloth. And I know this transformation won’t stop…I can’t make it stop or reverse what has happened…

A terrifying hunger gnaws at my very core, and I now know why others would kill for starmetal. The transformation must be completed, for better or for worse. There is only enough for a few to achieve full transformation each time Alhazarde is sighted. Every time, only a few shards fall. Once every 23 years…soon it shall come again. And I will be ready. If this transformation cannot be halted, I will finish it, and end the suffering I live through.

At last I have arrived. Alhazarde soared over this locale only yesterday, and I have found the metal I require. Three shards the size of my outstretched hand. It is all that lies here, and more than enough to complete the transformation. I must hurry back, before I am attacked by the others who seek this precious metal.

Kaurrek Stardream
LG Illumian Duskblade 4/Fighter 2/Green Star Adept 4/Knight 2
Spoiler
Show
Stats (32 point buy): Str 23, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration 5 ranks, Craft (alchemy) 2 ranks, Decipher Script 2 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks, Jump 8 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 2 ranks, Knowledge (geography) 2 ranks, Knowledge (history) 2 ranks, Spellcraft 5 ranks
Feats: Monkey Grip, Combat Casting (duskblade bonus), Improved Sigil (Aesh), Weapon Focus (greatsword) (fighter bonus), Power Attack (fighter bonus), Cleave, Leap of the Heavens, Leap Attack

Knight levels grant hit points and BAB. Better than more levels in fighter. Also Bulwark of Defense in a few levels, which is nice for a melee combatant. Also: Green Star Adept levels. Looks bad. But when combined with Aeshkrau, the spell-spamming melee attacker role is only reinforced, as your Strength increases. Damage reduction is actually one of the best features of the class, and can't be reliably bypassed unless every enemy you fight is a 16th level monk or hits with adamantine weapons. In which case you have an evil DM.

Leap Attack raises damage for a damage-heavy build, and Leap of the Heavens makes it easier to activate. There is almost no reason not to try it each round.

One Final Breath (13th-19th)
Spoiler
Show

My days go past in a blur of pain, training sessions, and alchemical starmetal concoctions of varied bitterness. My body is trying to reject the transformation, and I must complete it before my life ends. I am alone. It is likely that this will always be so.

Will the pain not stop? Each day I become a little stiffer, each breath and heartbeat seems so loud, for I know they soon will cease. I savor each meal, though their flavors are weakened, for my body has almost ceased to accept food and drink. Breathe in. Breathe out. I drink the starmetal infusion, barely able to taste the bitter metallic flavor. Breathe in. Breathe out. My heart beats once, twice, and stops, just as my last breath leaves my body. I look at my vivid green skin, feel my flesh, now more like a suit of adamantine full plate than anything else, remember the day my love Emeline forsook me, declaring me a monster. I suppose I am.

Kaurrek Stardream
LG Illumian Duskblade 4/Fighter 2/Green Star Adept 7/Knight 3
Spoiler
Show
Stats (32 point buy): Str 26, Dex 11, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration 8 ranks, Craft (alchemy) 2 ranks, Decipher Script 2 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks, Jump 11 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 11 ranks, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 2 ranks, Knowledge (geography) 2 ranks, Knowledge (history) 2 ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Monkey Grip, Combat Casting (duskblade bonus), Improved Sigil (Aesh), Weapon Focus (greatsword) (fighter bonus), Power Attack (fighter bonus), Cleave, Leap of the Heavens, Leap Attack, Great Cleave

So we've got Bulwark of Defense, Null Metabolism, and more Strength. Also Great Cleave. Bulwark of Defense is actually really good for someone who relies almost entirely on hitting things with oversized magically charged metal sticks. Null Metabolism...it's on the way to Emerald Perfection. Not great, not bad. Also provides flavor and the ability to swim across the ocean/run around the world.

Journey's End
Spoiler
Show
Looking at this dusty old journal brings back many memories. My cabal has fallen, and I have made no attempt to found a new one. I have seen kingdoms rise and fall under the flame of the Green Star. Each time it circles, I journey to where the shards fall. A sort of religious pilgrimage, I would suppose. I take none of the metal, knowing that a few foolhardy others wish to walk this path. Five centuries…has it really been that long? Does it matter anymore? For I am Kaurrek the Eternal, and I will fight the forces of evil until the day I die. To all who read this journal, whoever you may be, my tale ends here, and now, in this broken palace built over the place I once called home.

Kaurrek the Eternal
LG Illumian Fighter 2/Duskblade 4/Knight 4/Green Star Adept 10
Spoiler
Show
Stats (32 point buy): Str 29, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Concentration 11 ranks, Craft (alchemy) 2 ranks, Decipher Script 2 ranks, Intimidate 4 ranks, Jump 14 ranks, Knowledge (arcana) 14 ranks, Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 2 ranks, Knowledge (geography) 2 ranks, Knowledge (history) 2 ranks, Spellcraft 11 ranks
Feats: Monkey Grip, Combat Casting (duskblade bonus), Improved Sigil (Aesh), Weapon Focus (greatsword) (fighter bonus), Power Attack (fighter bonus), Cleave, Leap of the Heavens, Leap Attack, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (greatsword)

Endgame. Results: +17 BAB, which is good enough to get 4 attacks. Fort +11 Ref +5, each one point worse than a straight duskblade. Will +15, which is better than the duskblade.

29 Strength without any enhancments, 35 Strength with a belt of giant strength, which is likely the natural state of things. That's equal to an old red dragon. An average hit with a normal Large greatsword will deal about 23-25 damage, without Power Attacking or whatever. You've got +31 to hit. Some of it can likely be traded into that sword blow. If you've got chill touch in your sword (which you should at all times, 16 hits of 1d6 damage for 1 spell slot) add 3 more. That sword also likely has enhancements. Most hits should probably be doing 30 points of damage on average. Your attack bonus and average damage-per-hit are both higher than the aforementioned old red dragon's. Who is Gargantuan.

Crunchy Bits:

Level Progression:
Spoiler
Show

Duskblade
Duskblade
Fighter
Fighter
Duskblade
Duskblade
Green Star Adept
Knight
Green Star Adept
Green Star Adept
Knight
Green Star Adept
Green Star Adept
Green Star Adept
Knight
Green Star Adept
Green Star Adept
Green Star Adept
Green Star Adept
Knight

Customization:
Spoiler
Show
You could swap Knight to Scout for Skirmish instead of Bulwark of Defense.
--
Or Knight to Fighter, and grab Weapon Specialization.
--
Take Sorcerer instead of Duskblade and grab the Armored Mage ACF in Complete Mage and combine with the scout for a lighter-armored variant.
--
Shaky (Flaw): Why would this dude be in ranged combat?

Weak Will (Flaw): Pulls your +15 Will save down to +12. AKA: Normal.

Strengths:
Spoiler
Show

Melee combat. Especially one that involves lots of mooks. No one's getting past Kaurrek with the Bulwark of Defense class feature, and he is literally capable of dealing as much damage as a dragon. With the Cleave and Great Cleave feats, he'll slice through quite a few, and no one's going to arm 200 mooks with adamantine weapons anyways.

Leap of the Heavens and Leap Attack mean that he can jump up, over, and down onto an opponent, whether or not he's got a path to that person. A good Jump modifier means that he can jump his entire move, land, and attack.

Weaknesses:
Spoiler
Show

Outside of combat, he's largely reduced to breaking down doors and such.