View Single Post

Thread: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge VII

1. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge VII

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The problem with major active use of the secret ingredient is that nearly all of the abilities are passive, or build upon something else. The +Spellcaster level and +CLs, the main abilities of the class, all augement another class, be it wizard, sorcerer, warlock, suel arcanamach, or sublime chord. The spells you get from those classes are gonna overshadow pretty much everything in the build because they are SPELLS.

The other abilities, besides the slam, are all passive. +Str and +NA are things that is hard to really showcase other than a note, same with the immunities. The slam attack, IMO, is one of the coolest features given that very few classes give you free natural attacks, and almost nobody made reference to having it or using it.

Its not a showcase class. Its has almost no active abilities of its own that bring it to the forefront in a build. If you emphasis its spellcasting, well, spellcasting is WAY better gotten from any other class. If you emphasis its resistances and immunties, you get most of them from the +0 LA Warforged class. There just isn't any good way to glorify something that can be gotten through other means, and we were all marked down a lot for it so far...
    That sums up my feelings about the ingredient better than I could have expressed it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    Further ideas for that PrC...

Cloud Walk
    Being able to walk on vapors such as clouds and your own spells.

Cloudy Casting
    All spells using this metamagic affect create a small cloud around their affects that lasts for 1 round. Those that venture within the location of this cloud are affected by the spell, though gain a bonus to saves/take half damage or whatnot. Can do with some elaboration, just throwing out the idea. for example a fireball that whooshes out leaves a burning trail of smoke.

Amorphous Enamored
    You may shape your cloud spells for free as if you had the Sculpt Spell metamagic feat.
    I like those ideas!

Edit: Hey, now I'm a bugbear in the playground! Awesome! +4 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma, and favored class: rogue!
    Last edited by Akal Saris; 2010-07-11 at 03:33 PM.
    Handbooks: (Hosted on the new MixMax forums)
    [3.5] The Poison Handbook
    [3.5] (New) Master of Shrouds Handbook
    [3.5 Base Class] Healer's Handbook

Trophies!
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Strategos and Jumilk for the awesome Iron Chef trophies!