View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] The Monk Remixed

1. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5] Revised Monk (finally the red-headed stepchild gets some respect and PEACH!

It's gestalt, Monk6/Psion6, so a small amount of MAD, though the psion is mainly to get a few long lasting boosts and healing. In the game, each PC and NPC has a template that changes their type (for instance, my character is a human, with an energy template that makes him elemental).

So far, I've managed to land both attacks off a flurry onto a construct Treant, dealing 18 and 15 damage (getting a +10 or +11 on attack depending on the weapon, and +7 damage, +19 to disarm with a sai due to a houserule that a sai doesn't take a -4 to disarm). Against an ogre, I scored 10 damage, though by this point, the dice decided to hate me. I don't think I've rolled a decent roll in over an encounter, and the one before that wasn't great. Nearly disarmed the ogre earlier, but rolled a 5.

All in all, at 6th level, I'm the skill-monkey of the group, AND managing attacks of 25-30, and damage of around 20. Disarm attempts should average in the 30s. AC is my only problem, at 16 normally, 22 after a quick power in the mornings. As someone who's tried billions of different monk builds and fixes, I can say that this is easily the best one I've seen so far. The class has a role, and can hit constantly, even if it doesn't always do damage. I can land more hits per round than a fighter, since I can hit with a flurry. He may do 40 damage on a hit, but I do 20 twice. All in all, an excellent fix.

No idea how good it is against casters though, all we've fought so far have been tanks.

EDIT: Also, on the feats, you might wanna put a time limit on the fire attack and fire defense ones, or you can blow a use of stunning fist and be surrounded by fire forever.
    Last edited by ForzaFiori; 2010-07-11 at 10:40 PM.

Go Tigers!