View Single Post

Thread: [3.5] The Monk Remixed

1. - Top - End - #59
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: [3.5] Revised Monk (finally the red-headed stepchild gets some respect and PEACH!

Skills: I'm inclined against changing the skills, but you're the third person to suggest it, so let's talk shop.
    My position is that the revised monk is intended to take its place as a skill monkey alongside the beguiler, rogue, factotum, scout, ninja, expert, and spellthief. Since the monk has Int as a dump stat, I maintain that, like the rogue and scout, he needs 8 skill points per level at a minimum to fill that role. Beguiler, spellthief and factotum have an Int focus and spells to boot, so they can get away with only 6 points per level. Expert and Ninja have 6 points per level without spells or an Int focus, and frankly, the expert is an NPC class for a reason and limited skills is one of the reasons the ninja class sucks. Let us not go down that road.
    So, what's your reasoning behind preferring 6 points per level over 8?

Base Attack: Thank you for seeing this! Many people don't seem to get it. My approach was "monks have a medium base attack, and don't function in melee. So, let's add class features so that the monk does function in melee with its current attack bonus." You'll also note that every one of the skill monkey classes I mentioned above has a medium base attack bonus as well. And as you've observed, medium base attack + empty strike + flurry >= full base attack in almost every situation, and the ability to flurry on the move puts the monk well ahead of classes like fighter, knight, and paladin in the mobility department -- which is as it should be for a skirmisher.

Weapon Finesse: I can see how giving virtual Weapon Finesse is helpful for meeting prerequisites. Otherwise you have to spend a feat to no effect. I'll add that in.

Diamond Soul: Unchanged, but moved to a level at which it's a more level-appropriate benefit.

Ki Shot: You've got a good point. I may grant stunning fist as an automatic bonus feat and substite another feat at 1st level. Stunning fist is really an iconic monk ability anyhow -- and so many of the splatbooks feats are built around the assumption that you have it.

Ability Management: Yeah. One of my concerns is that there are a lot of consumables to manage. I specifically don't want to add a new power system like power points or ki points or anything like that. For me, that crosses the line between "revised monk" and "new class that is very monk-like". Also, others have already done psionic monks, ki monks, and martial initiator monks. Those wells have already been tapped, IMO. I'm really aiming for Monk Classic here.

What I could do is create a menu power, where you have x uses per day of your power and gain additional options for those uses as you advance in level. I've done that a lot with other classes and feel pretty comfortable within that design space. Let me think on this.
    Last edited by jiriku; 2010-07-15 at 09:57 AM.
    D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Newest: shadowcaster. Most popular: monk and fighter.

Innovative new mid-tier classes compatible with 3.x and 3.x Remix: Machinist, Shapeshifter, Avatar, Magus of Blades, Ritualist, Magician, Dawnblade, Summoner, plus 5 elemental casters!