1. - Top - End - #1174
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5]Improved monster classes: adapting creatures for player use-taking requests!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorgondantess View Post
    I like the creature of legend... but it's a bit off. Let's see why!
    Woo.

*Body of legend: What happens if you're a construct? Or an undead? You suddenly change to outsider? That's a bit... iffy, in my book.
    The augmented type doesn't cover that?

I'll just specify disallowed types.

*Fabled strength: so, for the materials, what do you choose at 12 HD once you've already chosen cold iron, silver, and adamantium? Byeshk? What do you choose after that?
    Hrm. I just figured you'd take more obscure materials as you saw fit. I'll add another option.

*Fabled Power: Okay, let's go blow by blow here.
    For the record, I'm aware that many choices are subpar, but I was trying to be faithful to the options provided by the original template. If you have suggestions as to where a given entry can be rebalanced, I'm open to changing them.

-Define "partial action". I know D&D like the back of my hand, and I've never heard that term.
    Taken verbatim from the entry. I'm familiar with the intention of the wording, but I'll clarify.

-Enchanced power is a bit too powerful, as far as I'm concerned. As a caster, this would be a fantastic 1 level dip, for +5 to DCs by 20 HD. WOW. That's FANTASTIC. Trust me, pumping DCs can get really scary, really quick.
    I agree. The text in the original template was just a flat +4. Which would be scary at level 5. I wrote it up as listed as just a thought exercise on how I'd rebalance it, and then moved on without really thinking about it. I'll reduce its effect and stop it from applying to spells. That way, it emphasizes the monster using its own natural abilities.

-Immunities: Why put fear there if you're going to put mind-affecting? I believe fear is considered mind-affecting. And, hell, mind-affecting trumps everything else on that list.
    Was in the original template, which I copied from. One wouldn't take it, except in the most bizarre situations, but I'll remove it to help idiot-proof the class.

*Reflective Hide: Scale it. I'd say spell levels equal to HD: so, at 5 HD, you have 5 spell levels. That's fine, isn't it? But getting a 7 spell level spell turning at 20 isn't so amazing.
    Hrm. I think that's too good. It basically winds up being a better SR, since you've got the potential to turn back spells on unwitting foes.

Also: SR? Really? Pretty much all the other options trump SR.
    *Shrug* Was one of the template options. Didn't see any reason not to include it. What about SR 16+HD?

Legendary Strength: +4 to lowest ability score... huh. I don't like it: that can either be really useless or really useful. I'd make that an "or" choice.
    My original plan was a flat charisma bonus, to represent how the creature is just that awesome and how it has such presence. But I didn't want a huge bonus to cha based creatures. In general, it's just a bonus where most people wouldn't make the investment, amending one's greatest flaws. I feel it's fitting with the class concept, and will only make a notable difference for the most MAD classes.

*Legendary Power: It's sad that some of these abilities are worse than fables power. Spells is pretty much the only really good choice: poison is meh (and mostly useless by level 20), frightful presence and breath weapon are pretty good, but still not that valuable, and raging blood is going to be potent at level 5, and useless at level 20 (scale it!). I mean, come on, 17th level cleric casting by level 20? This is a ridiculously good choice for your last 2 levels just because of that. I'd put the cleric casting at 1/2 HD (yes, 1/2 HD, that's still pretty damn useful), and let them key it off of any mental ability score.
    I'll buff some of the existing powers and take your suggestion of 1/2 HD casting.

Changes made, with the above noted. Changelog at the bottom of the post. Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by Hyudra; 2010-08-04 at 05:05 PM.