View Single Post

Thread: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou

1. - Top - End - #137
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou - Say My...Name?

Let's Play Labyrinth of Touhou Plus Disk - Chapter 2

Spoiler
    Show

Why, hello there! You must be the harvest goddess, right? Mi, Mino...what was it again?

Um...my name is Minoriko.

Ah, yes, right. Sorry about that. I don't usually hear much about you.

Oh, it's OK, that's just typical. No one ever seems to remember me or my sister.

Huh? You have a sister?

*sigh* That's to be expected.

Uh, sorry about that...

No, no, you don't have to apologize.

You know, I can kind of sympathize with you. A lot of people pretend to have trouble remembering my name as well. I'm Meiling, by the way.

Thanks. So...where exactly are we?

This is the Labyrinth within the strange space that appeared in Gensokyo last year. You remember that incident, right? Well, this time we're even deeper than I've ever been. But it's OK, we'll get through this!

Wow, you're amazing. How can you say that without fear?

Well, I don't mean to brag, but I've been in pretty deep here before. Back then, I was scared. But through that experience, I earned my mistress's praise, and gained a bit of confidence along the way.

That's impressive. I don't think I'll ever do something like that. I mean, I can hardly even fight. I'm just a stage 1 boss that no one remembers...

Aren't you suppose to be a goddess?

Yes, but not of something that's actually useful when my life's in danger!

Well, then this is a great opportunity for you! Think of how much notoriety you'll gain if you end up resolving what even Lady Yukari couldn't even do!

N-no way! I can't do this.

Oh, sure you can! Here, just step in front of these enemies, and-

EEEK!!!

What are you doing?!

Relax, just stay back and let me take the brunt of their attacks. You can support us from behind, right?

Uh, right, but-

Come on, if you're going to survive in here, you're going to have to learn how to face danger.

If it's all the same with you, I'd rather not...

Now now, this is no time to be shy! Look, here comes some more!

What are these foul, detestable creatures?

I don't know, I've never seen them the last time I was here.

These huge muscled brutes are so disturbing! Even moreso than the demon in the corner!

Eh, I think it looks kind of cute in an ugly sort of way.

How can you be so calm?!

Don't worry, you'll adjust eventually. Hey, I know what will get you used to this quicker: how about a Sigil Guardian battle?

Wh-what? What's that suppose to be?

They're these dangerous creatures that must be defeated in order to unlock new areas of the Labyrinth. We're going to have to do this eventually if Maribel and Renko are to let us go.

When you say "dangerous", about how dangerous are you talking about?

Oh, I'm sure it's nothing we can't handle. Look, there it is already!

EEEK!!! Someone please let me out of here!

Calm down, we've got this. Just stand back and do what you can, um...what was your name again?

~ Hong Meiling

~ Minoriko Aki

When I first decided to form a team based on the least-used characters in the game, I admit that I chose Meiling even though she was never considered low-tier. If anything, she's arguably the best dedicated tank in the game. I went with her because I was confident that I could beat the game regardless of who the other 11 characters were, so long as I had Meiling reliably standing at the head of the party. She still sort of has a place on Team Unappreciated, though, because she's unappreciated in...other ways.

Minoriko, on the other hand, is an interesting case. Months ago, when the game first came out, most players dismissed her as soon as they recruited Sanae, think that the latter is just a strict upgrade. Minoriko is a dedicated healer who does little else, while Sanae can heal, cure status effects, and use a better buff that raises all stats rather than just DEF and MND. However, over time more and more players began to realize that Minoriko is actually much better than she had been given credit for. Even with lower stat growths than Sanae, the formula for her healing spell is much stronger, and the delay for the spell is a lot shorter too, allowing Minoriko to recover HP much faster than Sanae can. With less of a need to raise her MAG, Minoriko can freely spend her level bonuses on raising her MND, turning her into a fairly durable magic tank and shooting her survivability way above Sanae's. Nowadays, Minoriko is recognized as the stronger pure cleric of the two, while Sanae is used more for her other utility uses besides restoring HP, namely the offensive buffs and status healing.

The Plus Disk involves a fair bit of backtracking, as most players won't be strong enough to take on this boss when they first reach the 21st floor, and will probably return a lot later. Because of this somewhat non-linear nature of the Plus Disk, this part of the LP will be focused more on bosses than floors. I expect each chapter to be a boss fight, except for maybe the 23rd floor, which is gimmicky enough to merit its own chapter.
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-08-12 at 02:55 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight