View Single Post

Thread: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XI

1. - Top - End - #149
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Iron Chef Optimization Challenge XI

"'Itís your turn to move Ross.' I overheard my fatherís long forgotten words amidst the bustling traffic of Manila. Same usual reminder when we were playing chess before his death. Can he still sense my indecisiveness, my predicament on my life now?"
    -Life in a Chessboard

Quote Originally Posted by Wruk

CN Gnome Psychic Warrior 4, Urban Ranger 1, Blade Bravo 10, Dragonstalker 3, Xorvintaal Exarch 2

Story & Stats
    Spoiler
    Show
    I've heard other's wish to be rich. How exciting it must be, how glamorous to meet the rich, the famous. That's total tortoise droppings. Wealth doesn't bring adventure and excitement. The nobs just find more expensive and extensive ways to be dull. Dull, dull dull. Even my name. Nine others before me with the same handle. NINE. All rich, gnome-lords with gold pouring out their gnavels. The Vive's only claim to something more exciting than pinching pennies and watching the dust settle upon them is the High Sword training. A Vive is trained in blade and form. For adventure and glory?! HA! No, it's as my Dad said, 'You cannot appreciate the gold if you've got a blade in your back!'. That's right, I need to know it so I can make MORE money. I admit, there is nothing inherently WRONG with money, but where's the interest?!

Yeah, I had the money. Sometimes. I'd been trained in the Vive way of concentration as well. Could calculate the interest of a dozen different shares by the memorized rise and fall of historic merchant data in my head. I had other ways. The cards and dice. That was money-making with a little adventure. It wasn't about the winning, I could count the cards and come out ahead without breaking a sweat. It was seeing how far I could go before they accused me of cheating. What to do if they got angry at losing out to a little nob's son like myself. THAT was fun! Even that would begin to pale though. Yeah, I was rich, in looks and brains and wealth... but I'm miserable. I live for surprises and the unexpected... where is the excitement in watching the money grow taller than I? Life wasn't meant to be that easy.

It was a long road to depression having all I could want. I began to slip away, fight in underground fencing matches, blades naked and unpadded. A place where nobs as bored as I but cowards at heart came to get their jollies. Man to man.... well, gnome. You can't be a Vive gnome without knowing a few tricks, but I kept them out of the arena. No changing size or knocking the steel away with a thought. I didn't care whether I lived or died. Never killed a man, just infuriated him, got him hopping and stupid, pricked him bloody if he was being one himself, that kind of thing. Then I'd give him a good gnutting once he was worn out, and they'd drag him off the mats. Shoulda seen their faces, those who had bet on one of us to die. I put in a few bets myself now and again, always raked it in. More fornicating farthings. Little drip drops in a bucket already overflowing with gain and angsty gnomish gnothings.

Then one day I came to meet another gnomish opponent. Not fought one of them before. Plently of halflings, bouncing off the walls until poked a hole in their feet, but no gnomes. He was clad head to toe, mask covering him. Well, I'd fought the ugly ones as well as the pretty boys. Hide the mug for all I care. We sized each other up and fought. Now, I'd met some pretty tough nuts on the mat, nearly went to see Garl myself more than a few times, but in the end it worked out for me. This fella... he pressed me and fought and gave ground... but it was play. You can tell it when they wish to kill you. This guy wasn't just messing with me, he was teaching me. It was a tough tutoring, though, for if I let myself down a moment I got it where it hurt. The seats usually had a good number of sponsors or busybodies, but as the battle raged on messengers were sent, and the stadiums above filling with the wagering louts. Finally I grew bored with it. If he was having fun, let's turn up the giggles! I concentrated, and sweat exploded off of me as I internally roared with metabolism, burning off my own flesh and growing to the size of a bantam cock. There was shouts of outrage from above. I'd done what I hadn't before, crossed the line, broke the rules of engagement. My opponent stood still, whether from shock or what I don't know. I ran and feinted, diving between his legs, but he did something I to this day cannot recall. Something was done with his feet and I found myself kicked and flipped back over his head where he caught me, neat as you please. He began to squeeze, and struggle as I could, I couldn't draw breath. I welcomed the coming darkness. This was a death with style and all the trimmings. If my lungs hadn't been crushed I'd have laughed...

I awoke with a bit of soreness in my sides and groaned, knowing he'd let me live. If I was with Garl I'd not be hurting, and if I'd gone to the lower places I'd likely be hurting more.

I was on a sofa in a familiar house. I'd been here more than I had my own. Uncle Grindle's place. Don't recall as he was related, not a Vive anyways, but he was richer and quicker than us lot.

"Young duff, if I'd have known you wanted to commit suicide I'd have helped you out. Something a bit more pleasant. Poisoned women springs to mind, all the venom laced kisses you could want. Perhaps some of the hundred proof stuff from the horn of a black unicorn? But stabbing... mmm, well, whatever your generation goes for I suppose." a voice said, and I turned.

Uncle Grindle... in the bodysuit of my opponent. It was him alright, that golden-tan skin, the feel of a man ten times his size.

"Ok, bring on the women..." I groaned, and fell back into the cushions.

"Well, you'll have to give me a little time. The arsenic lipstick alone takes forever to apply. Eighty years some time." he said wryly. "Wruk, what in the Hells?"

"Oh, it's just so pointless and dull. Might have been fine for you, seeing the fruits after planting. But I have nothing to go for."

"Your father should be whipped for his neglect. Shall we take away your allowance?" he ribbed. He held up a knowing hand as I opened my mouth to complain.

"I know it Duff. Believe me, even after the plantings and sewings and reapings, you get tired of the fruit. Something else to sink your teeth in to... well, I have a proposition for you. You get home and rest and be back here in the morning. I'll find you some meat, my duff."

I awoke the next morning and went in search of my father, but he'd left a message for me saying he'd be at Grindle's. I'd rather hoped to keep the old gnome out of this, but Uncle had piqued my interest. When I arrived there were guards all about. Dashing into the estate I found the once beautiful manor trashed, tapestries pulled down, and carpets up. Gashes were deep in the teal floors, and scorch marks on the walls. A great battle had obviously taken place here.

Upon questioning the guards searching the manor they showed me a couple things that'd been found. My father's old sword, stained with ichor. Stuck to the blade was a gem-like scale.

A number of wealthy men had disappeared like this I was informed, always with a crystal scale left. None had ever been found. This seemed to be true as months passed and no word came.

I used all my father's connections, plus a few less reputable, but all I got in response was fearful ignorance or disjointed whispers. They all seemed to fear me, as if I was somehow known to the darkest shadows of society Whatever was going on was big, and I would learn nothing as a nob's son.

It seemed I would have to find out on my own. As I contacted businessman to take over my father's finances I sold my profits and took to the streets. Left was my identity, my money, my old chums.

"This wasn't the excitement I had wanted... " I thought to myself as I turned a bend in an alley. "But at least for awhile my life will be far from dull..."

Level 5
    Spoiler
    Show

Psychic Warrior 4/Urban Ranger 1

Small Humanoid (gnome, psionic)
    Hit Dice: 4d8 + 1d8 (22 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
    Armor Class: 20 (+3 armor, +2 dex, +4 shield, +1 size), touch 17, flat-footed 18
    Base Attack/Grapple: +4/-1
    Attack: Shard +9 melee (1d4, 18/20x2)
    Full Attack: Shard +9 melee (1d4, 18/20x2)
    Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
    Special Attacks: Favored enemy (xorvintaal), psionics
    Special Qualities: Low-light vision, wild empathy
    Saves: Fort +6, Ref +5, Will +2 (+5 Combat Focus)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 14
    Skills: Autohypnosis +8, Bluff +6, Craft (alchemy) +6, Concentration +6, Diplomacy +4, Gather Information +6, Hide +9, Intimidate +4, Move Silently +6, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +8, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +10, Sense Motive +4, Sleight of Hand +4, Spot +3
    Feats: Combat Expertise, Combat Focus, Urban Tracking, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier)
    Organization: Xorvintaal Exarchs
    Challenge Rating: 5
    Possessions: Shard (+1 Deepcrystal Rapier), Masterwork Studded Leather Armor

Favored Enemy (Ex): Wruk gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Xorvintaals. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against those of the organization.

Psionics: Manifester level 4th. (Power Points per day = 11; Save DC 11 + power level):
    1st - Compression, Elfsight, Force Screen (+4 shield)
    2nd - Danger Sense

Spell-like Abilities: Caster level 1st; save DC 12
    1/day - Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, Speak with Animals (burrowing only)

Wild Empathy: As Ranger ability, +4 bonus.

It was going on the year anniversary of my father's disappearance. With only the clues of blood and scale, I had begun to piece together the story. The blood was dragon's, of a rare kind, as was the scale.

As I gathered news I heard one name that at least set me a course... Xorvintaal. It was spoken as another might speak of a god. Of powers not to be understood that flowed through the city.

I was forced to fight for my life as I sought answers for questions that others obviously didn't want me to know enough to even ask after. There seemed no connection between the attacks. It might be a sick grandmother slipping me poisoned tea, and the next a winged centaur diving upon me with battleaxe in hand. Accidents were often and plentiful. They kept me sharp, and eventually, through my skill, or their wariness, I never did know, they gradually lessened. I became wanted in the city, and even several of the outskirting towns.

And yet... there was a pattern here. I could sense it vaguely, if none of the details.

Xorvintaal... Xorvintaal...

Level 10
    Spoiler
    Show

Psychic Warrior 4/Urban Ranger 1/Blade Bravo 3/Dragonstalker 2

Hit Dice: 4d8 + 1d8 + 3d8 + 2d8 (44 hp)
    Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares)
    Armor Class: 25 (+7 armor, +2 dex, +1 dodge, +4 shield, +1 size), touch 18, flat-footed 23
    Base Attack/Grapple: +9/+4
    Attack: Shard +17 (1d4+3, 18/20x2)
    Full Attack: Shard +17/+12 melee (1d4+3, 18/20x2)
    Special Attacks: Favored enemy (xorvintaal), flourish +3, psionics, sneak attack (dragon) +2d6
    Special Qualities: Hunting bonus +3, low-light vision, mobile fighting (+1 dodge), wild empathy
    Saves: Fort +7, Ref +11, Will +6 (+8 Combat Focus)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 13, Cha 15
    Skills: Autohypnosis +11, Bluff +8, Craft (alchemy) +6, Concentration +8, Diplomacy +4, Gather Information +13, Hide +14, Intimidate +4, Move Silently +10, Knowledge (arcana) +9, Knowledge (local) +11, Knowledge (psionics) +9, Profession (gambler) +4, Search +11, Sense Motive +9, Sleight of Hand +4, Spot +3
    Feats: Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Focus, Goad feat, Psionic Charge, Urban Tracking, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier)
    Challenge Rating: 10
    Possessions: Shard (+4 Deepcrystal Rapier), +4 Masterwork Studded Leather Armor

Favored Enemy (Ex): Wruk gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Xorvintaals. This bonus increases to +5 against Xorvintaal dragons. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against those of the organization.

Hunting Bonus: As Draconimicon, +3.

Psionics: Manifester level 4th. (Power Points per day = 11; Save DC 11 + power level):
    2nd - Danger Sense

Sneak Attack (Dragon): +2d6

1/day - Dancing Lights, Ghost Sound, Prestidigitation, Speak with Animals (burrowing only)

Despite all my precautions I was caught one day. Just as I was beginning to see the picture. It was sudden, unseen, yet not wholly unsurprising. If what I learned was true, 'big' did not begin to describe what I had delved into.

I was knocked out, and when I came to all was black. I was blindfolded and paralyzed, couldn't move a muscle. There was no sound, until the Voice. I've always revered Garl, as a good Vive gnome, but I would never have said I was particularly god fearing. Until that moment. The voice filled my ears and my head.

It told me that I would now know what happens to those who interfered with Xorvintaal. The floor beneath my feet vanished, and I felt myself plummeting. I know not how long I fell, but sometimes I would be sliding, others in empty space. Finally I touched bottom, and I felt my ankle give way. The paralysis had faded, and the blindfold long since torn away, but that mattered not, for all was lightless. The smell was... overpowering, unlike any I'd ever experienced. The flooring wet and pliant. If you stood still for longer than a few moments you found yourself sinking down.

Days and nights meant nothing here, but I sought to find the boundaries of my prison. There were slimy pits, and tunnels going farther down, but I never found a wall, though great piles of debris and stone and and stinking masses were everywhere. There were the sounds too, and echoes. If not for special senses heightened by my childhood training I'd have died I'm sure, but I knew when the attacks would come.

I began to forget what light was, and fresh breezes and peace of mind. Even my sleep was of horror, and I learned to sleep for only minutes before awaking to defend myself or hide from the nameless creatures below. I would then sleep in a moment only to repeat.

Then there was again the Voice. It seemed like a memory out of a dream of a life before this hell. It asked me if I had tired of the dark, of constantly being on edge. I might have given my soul to be out, but all it said was 'Then come into the light and join me.'

And I was. A great room full of comfortable chairs, and a single candle that though dim and flickering was like the sun itself to my eyes.

Sitting by it was my father... and curled around the room a dragon of amythest scales. My father smiled and stood. He embraced.

"You've done the family proud." he whispered.

Then the dragon was gone, and there was but gold Uncle Grindle, looking as proud as my sire.

That was how I began my first play in the Great Game. I was the 9th generations of gnomes who'd devoted their time to it. All of my father's financial empire was either a cover or part of the game, and he'd played it so well even his child hadn't known. We'd even been bred to it, each child raised for intelligence and cunning and a spirit for adventure and strategy. I was the culmination of it. A child so resourceful and intelligent that he could play nearly at the level of the great serpents themselves. The false abduction, my searchings, the pit... all had been a test of my abilities, a sharpening of my wits and mind.

That night the ceremony was performed, and I became a Player. I was given a book that Grindle himself had written, in it was the key to mental exercises and strategies to propel one forward. There was a side effect to it I hadn't read of however. I began to sense the entire city itself. I knew where all the pieces were, how things fit, how this effected that. As much as I respected Grindle, I felt there should be a few things I was capable of if I was to truly exceed in the game.

It was what I had always sought. It became everything.

Level 15
    Spoiler
    Show

Psychic Warrior 4/Urban Ranger 1/Blade Bravo 5/Dragonstalker 3/Xorvintaal Exarch 2

Hit Dice: 4d8 + 1d8 + 5d8 + 3d8 (58 hp)
    Armor Class: 25 (+7 armor, +2 dex, +1 dodge, +4 shield, +1 size), touch 18, flat-footed 23
    Base Attack/Grapple: +14/+9
    Attack: Shard +21 melee (1d4+3, 16/20x2)
    Full Attack: Shard +21/+16/+11 melee (1d4+4, 18/20x2)
    Special Attacks: Dragon's favor, favored enemy (xorvintaal), flourish +3, ignore natural armor, psionics, size advantage, sneak attack (dragon) +2d6, sneak attack (melee) +1d6
    Special Qualities: Hunting bonus +3, low-light vision, mobile fighting (+1 dodge), wild empathy
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +12, Will +8 (+10 Combat Focus)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 24, Wis 13, Cha 15
    Skills: Autohypnosis +19, Bluff +8, Craft (alchemy) +6, Concentration +15, Diplomacy +4, Gather Information +13, Hide +15, Intimidate +4, Move Silently +10, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (local) +12, Knowledge (psionics) +10, Profession (gambler) +4, Search +12, Sense Motive +16, Sleight of Hand +4, Spot +3
    Feats: Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Focus, Goad feat, Iron Will (B), Mindsight, Psionic Charge, Urban Tracking, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier), Wise To Your Ways
    Challenge Rating: 14
    Possessions: Shard (+5 Keen Deepcrystal Rapier), +4 Masterwork Studded Leather Armor, Otyugh Hole, Tome of Clear Thought +4

Dragon's Favor (Ex):
    - Draconic Reverie (+4 to attack or save)
    - Energy Immunity (Dessication)
    - Frightful Presence (DC 19)
    - Lair's Rebirth (Word of Recall but also brought back to life)
    - Lair's Return (Word of Recall)

Favored Enemy (Ex): Wruk gains a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against Xorvintaals. This bonus increases to +5 against Xorvintaal dragons. Likewise, he gets a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against those of the organization.

Ignore Natural Armor: 1/day - Can ignore target's natural armor.

Psionics: Manifester level 4th. (Power Points per day = 11; Save DC 12 + power level):
    2nd - Danger Sense

Sneak Attack (Melee): +1d6

In the first years, I was but a pawn. I was allowed a certain freedom so as not to chafe, but I went where Uncle needed me, and played my part like a good little gnome. He preferred to play by proxie, and the rules supported him. I liked a more personal touch. Oh, I could and did plan from a distance, and set up a rival agency of my own, which I would then fight. I began to keep in my head the entire sum of the city, who was beholden to who, who visited, and began to see the picture as even Grindle could not.

I fought dragons themselves, mainly younger ones of no real challenge, and gained their respect and later obedience as I awed even they. If they wanted to advance they would follow me. Their Exarcs were mine to command, but I let them seek their own agendas. As such, Grindle never suspected how these seemingly unrelated pieces all were under a single Master until nearly 50 years later. With a thought I signaled all to converge at just the right moment.

At first Grindle was confused, then enraged at my treachery. After a few moments however the began to laugh in appreciation, and thumped his tail in thunderous applause.

"Wruk Vive to King. Check mate!" he roared.

The game was on.

Level 20
    Spoiler
    Show

Psychic Warrior 4/Urban Ranger 1/Blade Bravo 10/Dragonstalker 3/Xorvintaal Exarch 2

Hit Dice: 4d8 + 1d8 + 10d8 + 3d8 (80 hp)
    Armor Class: 28 (+8 armor, +4 dex, +1 dodge, +4 shield, +1 size), touch 20, flat-footed 24
    Base Attack/Grapple: +19/+14
    Attack: Shard +28 melee (1d4+4, 16/20x2)
    Full Attack: Shard +28/+23/+18+/13 melee (1d4+4, 16/20x2)
    Special Attacks: Dragon's favor, favored enemy (xorvintaal), flourish +3, ignore natural armor, lethal riposte, psionics, size advantage, small but deadly, sneak attack (dragon) +2d6, sneak attack (melee) +2d6
    Saves: Fort +10, Ref +13, Will +11 (+13 Combat Focus) or against Xorvintaal dragons Fort +15, Ref +18, Will +16 (+18 Combat Focus)
    Abilities Str 8, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 31, Wis 13, Cha 16
    Skills: Autohypnosis +19, Bluff +8, Craft (alchemy) +6, Concentration +15, Diplomacy +4, Gather Information +13, Hide +17, Intimidate +4, Move Silently +12, Knowledge (arcana) +10, Knowledge (local) +12, Knowledge (psionics) +10, Profession (gambler) +4, Search +12, Sense Motive +14, Sleight of Hand +6, Spot +3
    Feats: Blind-Fight, Combat Expertise, Combat Focus, Dodge, Combat Awareness, Goad feat, Iron Will (B), Mindsight, Mobility, Psionic Charge, Urban Tracking, Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier), Wise To Your Ways
    Challenge Rating: 19
    Possessions: Shard (+5 Keen Deepcrystal Rapier), +5 Masterwork Studded Leather Armor, Cognizance Crystal 17, Headband of Intellect +6, Manual of Quickness in Action +4, Otyugh Hole, Tome of Clear Thought +5
    Dragon's Favor (Ex):
    - Draconic Reverie (+4 to attack or save)
    - Energy Immunity (Dessication)
    - Frightful Presence (DC 19)
    - Lair's Rebirth (Word of Recall but also brought back to life)
    - Lair's Return (Word of Recall)

Ignore Natural Armor: 1/day - Can ignore target's natural armor.

Psionics: Manifester level 4th. (Power Points per day = 11; Save DC 12 + power level):
    2nd - Danger Sense

Sneak Attack (Melee): +2d6

Character By Level
    Spoiler
    Show

These are the base scores without adjustments. For full stats please see blocks in Stats & Story.

{table=head]Level|Class|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Skills|Feats|Class Features
    1st|Psychic Warrior 1|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Autohypnosis +4, Bluff +2, Concentration +3, Knowledge (arcane) +2, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +1, Sense Motive +2|Weapon Finesse, Weapon Focus (rapier)|Psionic Powers
    2nd|Psychic Warrior 2|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |Autohypnosis +5, Bluff +2, Concentration +4, Knowledge (arcane) +2, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +1, Search +1|Combat Expertise|-
    3rd|Psychic Warrior 3|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Autohypnosis +6, Bluff +3, Concentration +5, Knowledge (arcane) +3, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +1, Search +2, Sense Motive +3|Combat Focus|-
    4th|Psychic Warrior 4|
    +3
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |Autohypnosis +7, Bluff +3, Concentration +5, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +2, Search +5|-|-
    5th|Urban Ranger 1|
    +4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Autohypnosis +7, Bluff +4, Concentration +6, Gather Information +4, Hide +3, Move Silently +4, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +2, Search +6, Sense Motive +3|Urban Tracking|Favorite Organization (Xorvintaals)
    6th|Blade Bravo 1|
    +5
    |
    +6
    |
    +5
    |
    +1
    |Autohypnosis +7, Bluff +4, Concentration +6, Gather Information +4, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Knowledge (arcana) +3, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +2, Search +6, Sense Motive +4|Goad, Speed of Thought|Flourish
    7th|Blade Bravo 2|
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |
    +1
    |Autohypnosis +7, Bluff +5, Concentration +6, Gather Information +8, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +2, Search +6, Sense Motive +5|-|Mobile Fighting
    8th|Blade Bravo 3|
    +7
    |
    +7
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Autohypnosis +8, Bluff +6, Concentration +6, Gather Information +10, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Knowledge (arcana) +4, Knowledge (local) +5, Knowledge (psionics) +4, Profession (gambler) +2, Search +6, Sense Motive +6|Blind-Fight|-
    9th|Dragonstalker 1|
    +8
    |
    +7
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |Autohypnosis +10, Bluff +6, Concentration +6, Gather Information +10, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (local) +6, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +7|Psionic Charge|Hunting Bonus +1
    10th|Dragonstalker 2|
    +9
    |
    +7
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis +10, Bluff +6, Concentration +8, Gather Information +11, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +8|-|Hunting Bonus +2, Sneak Attack (dragon) +2d6
    11th|Dragonstalker 3|
    +10
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis +10, Bluff +6, Concentration +8, Gather Information +11, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +9|-|Hunting Bonus +3, Ignore Natural Armor 1/day
    12th|Xorvintaal Exarch 1|
    +10
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis +10, Bluff +6, Concentration +8, Gather Information +11, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +10|Wise To Your Ways|Dragon's Favor, Telepathy
    13th|Xorvintaal Exarch 2|
    +10
    |
    +8
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis +10, Bluff +6, Concentration +8, Gather Information +11, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +11|Iron Will (B)|-
    14th|Blade Bravo 4|
    +11
    |
    +8
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis +15, Bluff +6, Concentration +11, Gather Information +11, Hide +8, Move Silently +8, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +12|-|Melee Sneak Attack +1d6
    15th|Blade Bravo 5|
    +12
    |
    +8
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |Autohypnosis +18, Bluff +6, Concentration +15, Gather Information +11, Hide +9, Move Silently +8, Knowledge (arcana) +5, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +15|Mindsight|Size Advantage
    16th|Blade Bravo 6|
    +13
    |
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Autohypnosis +19, Bluff +7, Concentration +17, Gather Information +11, Hide +10, Move Silently +10, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (local) +7, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +16|Combat Reflexes|-
    17th|Blade Bravo 7|
    +14
    |
    +9
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |Autohypnosis +20, Bluff +8, Concentration +19, Gather Information +11, Hide +12, Move Silently +12, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (local) +8, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +17|-|Small but Deadly
    18th|Blade Bravo 8|
    +15
    |
    +9
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |Autohypnosis +21, Bluff +9, Concentration +20, Gather Information +11, Hide +14, Move Silently +14, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (local) +10, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +7, Sense Motive +18|Combat Awareness|Melee Sneak Attack 2d6
    19th|Blade Bravo 9|
    +16
    |
    +10
    |
    +12
    |
    +7
    |Autohypnosis +22, Bluff +10, Concentration +20, Gather Information +11, Hide +16, Move Silently +16, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (local) +10, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +10, Sense Motive +19|Improved Critical|-
    20th|Blade Bravo 10|
    +17
    |
    +10
    |
    +13
    |
    +7
    |Autohypnosis +23, Bluff +11, Concentration +20, Gather Information +11, Hide +18, Move Silently +18, Knowledge (arcana) +7, Knowledge (local) +10, Knowledge (psionics) +5, Profession (gambler) +3, Search +12, Sense Motive +20|-|Lethal Riposte
    [/table]

{table=head]Ability|Base|Race|Levels|Inherent|Enhancement|Total|Modifier
    STR|10|-2||||8|+0
    DEX|14|||+4||18|+4
    CON|8|+2||||10|+0
    INT|18||+2|+6|+5|31|+10
    WIS|13|||||13|+1
    CHA|13||+3|||16|+3
    [/table]

Traits
    (not flaws)
    - Reckless
    - Slippery

Feats
    1st - Combat Expertise, Weapon Finesse
    2nd - Weapon Focus (rapier)
    3rd - Combat Focus
    5th - Urban Tracking
    6th - Speed of Thought, Goad feat
    8th - Blind-Fight
    9th - Psionic Charge
    12th - Wise To Your Ways
    13th - Iron Will
    15th - Mindsight
    16th - Dodge
    18th - Combat Awareness
    19th - Mobility

Languages Known: Common, Draconic, Dwarf, Giant, Gnome, Goblin

Build Notes & Tricks
    Spoiler
    Show

Ok, what you have here is a character made to play in the great draconic Game of Xorvintaal. Wruk has an almost supernatural knowledge of the board that is life, knowing where to move and who to manage.

Classes
    Psychic Warrior was chosen for a number of reasons.
    First, the extra feats are nice, allowing me to complete a 3rd set of feat trees. As he is psionic now he can take some very interesting psionic feats to help him in being a living game piece.
    Second, he now has access to the Autohypnosis skill which is very useful with dragons, especially Xorvintaal dragons. Instead of taking feats to ignore fear or give bonuses against it, Wruk can now merely make an autohypnosis check to ignore their Frightful Presence. As well, Xorvintaals can choose to exude venom. Autohypnosis can also help with that. Thricely he also can memorize... everything. This works astoundingly well with Mindsight that I will discuss later.
    Third, the Compression power. It's not a new trick, but I'd be stupid not to make use of it.

Urban Ranger allows me to gain bonuses against an entire organization, namely the players of Xorvintaal. He not only gains these bonuses against the dragons playing it, but also the other chess pieces. It also grants as a bonus feat one of the prerequisites for Dragonstalker.

Dragonstalker & Blade Bravo
    Dragonstalker grants an extra +3 bonus for a total of +5 to Xorvintaal dragons. I also gain draconic sneak attacks, which stack with that granted by Blade Bravo for a 6d6 sneak attack whenever it misses me or is flat-footed. It also allows me to ignore natural armor once per day (dragon's or elsewise). Add this to the Blade Bravo's Lethal Riposte and once per day you can hit the dragon, no matter what. No dex, no armor, nothing. You hit it. The rest of the day you are still likely to hit it as the attacks against large creature granted by Blade Bravo and the attacks with Dragonstalker stack.

Also, with my abilities against large creatures my

Feats
    The feats here were chosen very carefully to make a character who knows exactly what he's facing and how to take them out.

First off I want to introduce you to my favorite part of this build. It is without a doubt overpowered. You might even say cheese. The Xorvintaal Exarch template grants you telepathy 100 miles to speak with your patron dragon. The Mindsight feat allows you to determine the square of any and every creature with an Int of 1 or more, their Intelligence score, and their creature type within range of your telepathy ability. As such... Wruk now knows every single creature within 100 miles. I just gotta say it again. 100 miles up, down, and around. 'Nothing' can hide from him. He knows how they move, where they are going, who is meeting who... and with his Autohypnosis check he can memorize it. He can keep track of them all, though he'd probably ignore most of the population unless looking for gatherings of specific folks of certain mentalities and types, but those of unusual creature type or those with high intelligences he'd keep in his head. Also, anyone he'd meet he'd note their int, type, and follow them mentally. In fact, it'd be unlikely he could become lost because he'd have the entire layout of a city by seeing everyone passing through and around. It'd be like thousands of points of light flowing in and around a 3-D lay-out. I know if a gang is following me by their collective scores I met before, and can avoid them. I can't be caught flat-footed because I know where they are behind me.

With Blind-Fight I am also able to re-roll due to miss-chance because of concealment. As I know what square they are in I know where to aim. Many other uses besides.

Ok, let's get off that. You have Combat Focus and Combat Awareness. Through these I know the Hit Point total of my opponents, allies, etc. Then with my high Sense Motive score I can detect their HD total via the Sense Motive Expanded Description via Complete Adventurer. If it weren't for the auto-penalty I'd give him a flaw so as to take Combat Intuition as a bonus feat so I could size up my opponent as a free action and get a bonus.

So with these four feats I am able to detect square, type, int score, HP total and HD of every creature I meet. Throw in Detect Hostile Intent power and I also know if they wish me ill.

Also, Wise to Your Ways feat works well with the favored enemy and dragon stalker abilities. Grants me a +3 bonus to saves against Xorvintaal abilities in general, and +5 bonus against Xorvintaal dragons in particular.

Finally, Psionic Charge. I took it purely for flavor. It allows Wruk to move as a knight, able to charge around things.

Attack
    Well, as is by 20th level Wruk has an attack of +21. Against Xorvintaals, +23. If they are larger, and most will be, you get a bonus of at least +25. I manifest Compression, and it's +29 minimum without magical enhancements. Against very large opponents my fellow here can have attacks against them in the 40's with his magical weapon. Note again how he can ignore natural armor once per day as well.

Now, with that in mind, he has a 2d6, or 4d6 if dragon, sneak attack he can do whenever an opponent misses. He can channel power points into his weapon for an additional 2d6. Then there is the weapon damage itself. Throw in added bonuses from favored enemy if that is what he's attacking and you have a fellow who is second to none in the ranks of the Great Game, and no slob outside of it either.

Xorvintaal Exarch
    Almost forgot about him despite it all. Along with the telepathy cheese, Wruk is effectively immortal. You make sure you 'always' have a single token held in reserve so that if you die you are teleported to safety and health.

If the going gets tough, or he's surrounded despite all his planning and ability to detect the patterns of folks, he can also teleport out of their back to his lair.

Rarely is it possible to actually and completely defeat him.

Equipment
    The equipment is listed in the Story & Stats section. What he has is specifically useful to him/the build. The rest could be anything you wish to add. They aren't specific to the build.

I'd like him to also have read the Draco Mystere from the Draconimicon for flavor purposes. It grants Low-light vision, Immunity to magic sleep effects and paralysis and a +5 inherent bonus to Knowledge (arcana) about dragons

Sources
    Spoiler
    Show

Complete Scoundrel
    Otyugh's Hole (p. 151)

Draconimicon
    Dragonstalker PrC

Expanded Psionics Handbook
    Autohypnosis skill
    Deepcrystal material
    Psionic Charge & Speed of Thought feats
    Psychic Warrior class

Ghostwalk
    Wise To Your Ways feat

Lords of Madness
    Mindsight feat

Monster Manual V
    Xorvintaal Exarch template

Player's Handbook II
    Combat Focus & Combat Awareness feat

Races of Stone
    Blade Bravo PrC
    Goad feat

Player's Handbook 3.5
    Everything Else

Unearthed Arcana
    Reckless & Slippery traits
    Urban Ranger class
    Urban Tracking feat
    Last edited by Ozymandias9; 2010-09-09 at 02:18 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. [...]Where did you start yours?
    A street riot in a major city that was getting violent.
    Spoiler
    Show