1. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire, Mk. XXVII: God Has Nothing to do With This

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    This characterization actually remains pretty consistent, if memory serves. And gets pretty unsettling.

You kind of remind me of something Rubakhin said back when he posted here. It was during a talk about some of the stupid names in this comic, I think, and he pointed out how he didn't like the name, "Luna," because of its implications. He said that the name (meaning "moon") had the unfortunate implication of the character not having any light of her own; that the only reason she ever shined was because of the light of Dominic. I doubt it was Mookie's intention, but that interpretation works pretty well, all things considered.
    That is an unfortunate implication. Especially given that Dominic means 'lord' and the fan nickname is Dominus.
    Gregory, for the record, means "watchful or vigilant". But folklore etmyology (what most people assume the etymology to be) it became associated with 'flock' or 'herd'. And, thanks to 16 popes and 10 saints, has gained the additional meaning of a shepherd watching over their flock, i.e. guiding them. *coughIesusfigurecough*
    Unfortunate implications whahey!!

Analysing Dominus Deegan

The Golden Age*
    Spoiler
    Show
    A Frail Hope of Adequate Enjoyment
    21/05/2002 - 17/07/2002 Arcs covered: Oracle for Hire, The Curse
    The First Signs of Serious Psychological Issues Appear
    18/07/2002 - 4/12/2002 Arcs covered: The Curse, Luna, Into the Woods
    In Which Teh Great Dominus Indulges in Torture and Terrifies Me
    5/12/2002 - 21/02/2003 Arcs covered: Into the Woods, Couch Forts and Crying
    Dominatrix Luna. Oh, and The Dominus is More Feared Than A Necromancer
    22/01/2003 - 11/03/2003 Arcs covered: Makeover!, Mob Mentality
    Thing Are Looking Up
    12/03/2003 - 30/04/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts One and Two
    Siggy Is Iesus. Make of That What You Will
    01/05/2003 -23/06/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts Three and Four
    The Great Dominus Is Officially A Marty Stue an It's THRILLER! THRILLER NIGHT!
    24/06/2003 - 19/08/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts Five and Six
    Character Development! And We Conclude an Arc
    20/08/2003 - 10/09/2003 Arcs covered: Visions of Doom Parts Seven and Eight
    Short Arc Is Short
    11/09/2003 - 21/10/2003 Arcs covered: The Party

The Tarnished Age

Hell Is Meaningless Filler
    23/10/2003 - 20/11/2003 Arcs covered: The Ecstasy and the Evil Part One

Spoiler
    Show

We literally start in Hell. With Super Pointy Face Karnak. He owns a castle, so he's a lord. More tellingly, he has a bat-shaped cloak clasp, iust like Iack Skellington's bowtie. I therefore name Karnak King of part of Hell. Again, the pointy face of Karnak reminds me of a cartoon . . . film. I think. The fact that I can recognise that certain styles were copied, but not where is really bugging me.
    It seems our plot for this arc will be: Karnak must stop TIM from taking over Hell.
    But what kind of nimrod Lord would have power gloves which contain at least part of his power? Karnak would! Still, I have hope for this arc.
    ARRRGH!! Demon-spider-woman! But we have a nice piece of Dominiverse lore: living people can be banished to Hell by white magic. That's a bit counterintuitive, you'd have thought healing magic would kill people; and black magic - being evil - would be able to banish people to Hell. ((Is this common for DnD?)) However, I would like to find out what happens when a living person is killed in Hell.
    Hold on a second. On closer inspection Demon-Spider-Woman seems to have hooves. So is she actually meant to be a centaur? Because I despise and fear horses with a passion, but even I know horses legs don't move that way. Or is she balancing on paper chain? Wot? Massive art fail.
    Six-legged centaur wot. And in p.2 Centaursect is sitting with her horse's body on the floor and horses. do. not. work. that. way. And then her central legs look like spaghetti.
    Oh, and excessive gorn is not funny. Even with Centaursect's tongue sticking out as her head's being ripped off. Which definitely wouldn't work, but I'll pass that off as the Power Glove's Magic. Karnak and TIM love the Power Gloves.
    Excessive boobage is not funny. And really, if they're warriors, they'd wear something a little more restrictive than that. I read in the Encyclopaedia Dominica of a phenomenum called Balloon Boobs. I'd like that add that in Hell all women suffer from Balloon Boobies. No matter what they looked like on earth.
    More gore. Not funny. Very dark. It's not too badly draw, iust a big toneshift. Extendable hand onna string. Weird power. Why don't you iust cut the string.
    Karnak, the Demon of Wounds . . . first off: awesome title. Second off: nice gloating speech. Especially given that your mini-army has been slaughtered and TIM is wearing your Power Gloves. ((I think we can chalk TIM up as having a Dramatic Past - sold his soul to a demon so he wouldn't die. Iustifies: being completely and utterly evil.))
    In addition: why have all the dismembered people been shown with their tongue sticking out? It looks goofy and detracts from the drama of having TIM fighting a demon lord of Hell. Even if Karnak is gross and eats dead women's internal organs. Plus he's making another Faustian pact. I'm guessing that Karnak wants a Deegan - the GD himself? - dead. After all, the world revolves around the Dominus. But Karnak makes a good point: TIM could iust drink a dryad's blood. They can't be all that uncommon, and he did pretty well the first time until he bumped into the Deegan Host.
    But gloating is fun.
    And I was right. It's the DOminus. Although I'm left to wonder how TIM can read without any eyeballs. Or why TIM doesn't simply beat Karnak endlessly into the ground, imprisons him and takes over Karnak's region of Hell. But TIM's hardly the brightest Infernomancer in the universe, and revenge is always fun. But it's still a plot hole. A logical one.
    Karnak is a Demon Lord of Hell. Smeg, he even has his own title, castle and army; but he can't kill one Infernomancer and take back his Power Gloves? Is Karnak really weak? Was he once human? He looks more human than everyone else I've seen so far in Hell. Even TIM looks more demonic than Karnak.
    Creepy grin and internal monologue make for a good villain. I think it's because the smile is off-centre and off-model for a normal person, so it adds a nice bit of demon to Karnak. Plus from the monologue we can see how smart Karnak actually is: he had maybe five minutes to think of a plan once he discovered that the Power Gloves can bond to another person. Question: why would a Demon Lord of Hell make and wear weapons which can bond to another person? That kind of defeats the purpose of ruling in Hell where betrayal is pretty expected. In p.3 Karnak looks a bit um, cutesy. But p.4 mostly makes up for it.
    Okay, next page -
    WOT.
    Four guest strips/fan art?!?! After the introduction to a dark and promising arc! THE HELL MOOKIE?
    The worst part is that all four (this one's really funny too, so it beats out most DD strips) of them have art that is as good, or better than, the original artwork. Especially the one for 08/11/2003.
    What tension and interest there was is completely ruined by the comedic value of the filler. And the fact the Mookie put guest strip/fanart FILLER into the comic right after starting the next maior arc in his story! At least have the common decency to do it after a story arc concludes, not after introducing the main frellin' plot.

This is not making me feel well disposed towards The Ecstasy and the Evil. I have, however, discovered what the Evil mentioned in the title is: meaningless guest art filler. Sure, some of it's funny, but that's no excuse for ruining the pacing of your story, which was trotting along quite nicely, art aside.
    Karnak poses some good opportunities for villainy and antics though. Same for TIM. Especially now he has the Power Gloves. He loves the Power Gloves.

*Ages as defined by Trazoi here.

Next up! The Dominus has a BDSM kink.
    Oh. God.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doompuppy View Post
    Might be from more than one place, but especially in that pose there's more than a fair similarity to Ky Kiske from the Guilty Gear games (Guilty Gear XX was released on the PS2 in the US in March 2003, so only about six months before that comic was made).

Picture from GGX2 here, to see what I mean:
    Spoiler
    Show

Edit: To add insult to injury, Ky Kiske is, among other things, the head of the Sacred Order of Holy Knights...
    I knew it!
    One of my friends played that game, that's where I might have seen it.
    I also remember a similar costume in an anime, but, well, GGXX2 fits Greg's Knightly Outfit so much better. Not to mention it explains the better art style.
    Last edited by CurlyKitGirl; 2010-09-26 at 04:52 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by V'icternus View Post
    Why is it that you now scare me more than the possibility of nuclear war?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bath View Post
    To compare [Curly] to the beauty of the changing seasons or timeless stars would be an understatement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    But Koorly is the sweetest crime.

Squid bones are lies.
    Bathatar!