Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 8

Spoiler
Show
Ayu was sent to develop the Night-Blind Road, while the rest of the group sets off to launch an attack on the Faintly Dark Path. This is the last territory held by the Youkai Army, so victory is near at hand.

Marisa: ...? Hey Reimu, doncha find this kinda weird?

Reimu: Just "kinda"? It's like nighttime now. And it was so bright just a little while ago.

It ain't cuz of the time...Look!

Marisa took about ten steps back, and her body was suddenly shining from the rays of the sun. Yet with ten more steps forward, all traces of the sunlight disappeared.

Right, they did say that they recruited some darkness-manipulating youkai.

Yeah, it's gotta be Rumia. This has'ta be her power at work.

This'll be tough, humans won't be able to see far in this darkness. Ranged attacks are going to be pretty badly affected.

Melee combat ain't my forte, but it looks like I ain't gonna have a choice.

At least these little tricks they're pulling are proof that we've driven them to a corner. Let's go and pressure them some more!

Our army is met by Rumia and two other youkai. Rumia has a few advantages here: the darkness weakens ranged attacks, encouraging both sides to focus on melee combat. However, Rumia's special ability prevents her from being counterattacked at close range, thus giving her the advantage at close range.

Even with these tricks, though, our forces still blazed through the enemy ranks. Marisa and Souun went first, and even though their ranged attacks were weakened, two successive hits on Rumia were successful enough to substantially weaken her and sap her strength. Reimu leads the rest of our units to hammer the rest at close range. With Rumia downed quickly, her remaining allies fell swiftly, resulting in a resounding victory for us.

The Faintly Dark Path's defenses were severely crippled from our assault, and our army now threatens to take it entirely with another strong battle.

Turn: 8
Ouki: 4967
Ryumaku: 11/23
Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
Defense: 250/250
Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
Defense: 160/160
Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Enemy Territories:

Faintly Dark Path
Owner: Youkai Army
General: Wriggle Nightbug (leader)
Defense: 75/175

I did not expect such an overwhelming victory on this turn. I had been conservatively estimating taking the last territory in 3 turns, but now we have a good shot at ending the Youkai Army next turn. They'll throw everything they've got at us on their last turn, but victory is within our grasp.