1. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Conquering the Fantasy Kitchen Sink - Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo!

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 20

Spoiler
    Show

Komachi had been tasked with patrolling the Road of Reconsideration in addition to her ferrier duties, but since it wasn't supposed to be a leisurely walk, all she could think of was grumbling about her extra work.

Komachi: I really didn't think that Lady Shiki would've agreed to join that game. Is she that free in Higan? Or maybe she's trying to slack off too...

???: Lady Komachi~!

Ack! You've got it wrong, I was definitely not speaking ill behind your...Hm? Oh, you're...Geez, don't scare me like that.

Ghost: The Yama has called for you. She wants you to head for Muenzuka.

Huh, again? What does she want now?

I don't quite know that much...

Oh fine, tell her that I'll be right there.

The ghost went off ahead, and Komachi took a leisurely stroll, following its path. Not hurrying because the ghost didn't particularly say to was very Komachi.

Komachi eventually reached Muenzuka, and found Eiki standing under the purple cherry blossoms waiting for her, just like the other day.

Eiki: Ah, there you are. Although you're a little late.

Komachi: Well, no one told me to hurry, so I didn't. Anyway, what's the matter this time?

Before I explain...Is there nothing you wish to say to me?

Ehhh? Err...What do you mean?

I shall say it one more time. This is absolutely not about slacking off. It is an important professional duty. I am performing my work exactly. Understood?

That ghost told you, huh...

Did you say something?

No no no, not at all. More importantly, what is your order this time?

First of all, read this.

Eiki handed her a piece of writing paper, and Komachi suddenly had a strange sense of deja vu. But unlike the previous time, the contents of the letter this time was very pressurizing.

Is something the matter? You look like one of the living that wandered near the Sanzu River.

No, I'm just not quite sure how to respond to this...Well..."Barf!"?

I do not quite understood your implication.

Never mind that. Is this what I thnk it is? It sure gets straight to the point if so.

Indeed. We have received a declaration of war from the Hakurei shrine maiden. Prepare for battle with them from now on. Take the proper precautions.

She's picking a fight with the Yama who silences crying babies, huh? She really doesn't know what fear is.

The only people who need to fear me are sinners who do not reflect on their misdeeds.

I'm very scared of you too, Lady Shiki.

That would be because of your inability to fulfill your duties. Anyway, that would be the current situation, so do prepare for it.

Yeah yeah, I'll do my best. I'll be going back to my post, then~.

With a short wave and a voice lacking in motivation, Komachi left the area. It was not an attitude to show her superior, but Eiki decided not to scold her for it. There were more urgent matters to take care of.

"Higan Guard" - War has been declared.

Reimu, Marisa, Wriggle, Alice, and Shanghai set off on our first attack at the Road of Reconsideration. Here, they were met by Komachi and a squad of ghosts. The ghosts were of little threat to us, but Komachi herself was a whole different matter.

With the power of her Higan Ferrier skill, Komachi delivered deadly OHKO blows to both Reimu and Wriggle, taking them from near full health to zero instantly. Our surviving members fought bravely and managed to defeat more of our enemies, but our victory wasn't quite as solid as our past experiences. With two characters down and significant damage dealt to us on top of that, this victory certainly came at a cost.

However, we did get a few additional bonuses from this victory. First up was attaining Marisa's first affection bonus.

Secondly, we managed to capture yet another enemy unit.

Mayu was taken prisoner.

Komachi was usually seen slacking off from work, sleeping besides the Sanzu River, or walking off somewhere. But today, she was full of motivation and working seriously to ferry ghosts over.

Komachi: Well, just sitting around might be boring for you, but go ahead and relax till we reach Higan. It's a good time to look back on your life, y'know?

She rowed her boat slowly, as she struck a conversation with her passenger. She wasn't expecting a reply since ghosts can't talk, yet she continued on with her one-sided conversation.

I'm not sure if you knew, but the fee you paid to board this ferry was all the money you had on hand. That's the rule here. Sometimes, I get some weirdos who try to hide their money and carry it over. Do you know what happens to them?

She asked the ghost a question, but all it could do in reply was tremble. Meanwhile, Komachi simply kept talking.

Whoops, that's right, you can't talk yet. You'll be a ghost till you arrive at Higan and receive judgment from the Yama. Who knows what you'll be after that. But for now, if you have something you want to say, just think about it deep in your heart. I'll shorten the distance to your heart and hear your voice.

...Mm, yep, just like that. What'd happen? Well...It'll be something like this.

Komachi grabbed a stone at her feet, and threw it a short distance away from the ferry and into the water. Shortly after, a fish several times bigger than the ferry appeared, rocking the boat heavily.

Whoa whoa...That was a li'l dangerous. Anyway, that's what would happen. Even if you don't use your money here, you can't use it across the river either. As far as I can tell, you're not that type of ghost, so don't worry. You've got a pretty good voice in your heart too.

So anyway, uh...What were we talking about again? Ferriage, was it? Right, the amount of money you have in your life and after death actually changes. Yours is about normal. Not too large, yet not too small...You had a pretty quiet life, huh? I guess that means you may have died a li'l too early, but you can't do much about dying. Unless you committed suicide of course.

Hm? What's up? ...Ahh, I see. You're worried about the judgment, huh?

The ghost trembled further as its response. Its voice could only be heard by Komachi.

Ahaha, you don't have to be so worried. You won't be eaten or get your tongue cut off or anything. As long as you're honest, you won't be sent to hell either.

Komachi continued chatting with the ghost as the ferry advanced slowly across the wide river. Higan still was not visible yet.

We're about halfway across now. Since you're dead and all, let's take it slowly. I'd love to here more from you as well. What do I want you to talk about? Anything will do, really. I always enjoy hearing ghosts talk about their life experiences anyway.

...Ooh, a girl who you had a crush on but rejected you? Ahahahaha, I'm all ears!

...Komachi didn't slack off because she hated her work. In fact, she loved talking with ghosts over all sorts of things as a ferrier. That's why she never planned to change even when Eiki said that she worked too slowly.

Marisa: Heeeey!

Marisa called out from overhead, flying on her trademark broom. She slowly hovered downards, until she landed right in front of Reimu.

Reimu: Good afternoon. Nice weather today, isn't it?

Ohh, what's the occasion?

What are you talking about?

Your entirely too normal greetin' confused the heck outta me.

Oh come on, my greetings are always normal.

Well, maybe. I thought the Yama got angry at you about somethin' or other again.

Why would she be? I am a noble, virtuous and modest shrine maiden who conducts herself impeccably after all.

I see ya already got your defense all thought up.

Whatever. We're going up against the Yama next how would you feel then if you're so scared of her now?

Scared? Hah, that's a real good joke, I've got nothin' to be scared of. I don't do anythin' wrong after all.

Then what would that bag you're carrying be, pray tell?

Things I discovered from some ancient ruins.

...Is that what they call it these days?

Turn: 20
    Ouki: 11843
    Ryumaku: 22/46
    Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
    Defense: 250/250
    Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Faintly Dark Path
    Defense: 175/175
    Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
    Defense: 180/180
    Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Magic Forest Border
    Defense: 160/160
    Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Magic Forest Interior
    Defense: 210/210
    cost to Develop: 9 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
    Army: Human Village Corps
    General: Keine Kamishirasawa (leader)
    Defense: 310/310

Road of Reconsideration
    Army: Higan Guard
    General: Komachi Onozuka
    Defense: 106/190

Muenzuka
    Army: Higan Guard
    General: Shikieiki Yamaxanadu (leader)
    Defense: 215/215

Special Events Available:

Declare War: Human Village Corps
    9 NEG is required to declare war.

Prisoners:

Mayu - Decent at far range, well-rounded defenses. Low RES and NEG.
    Special: Insult, removes stat buffs from one target.

Komachi may well be the most likable character in this entire game. A pity that Higan Ferrier never works like that for me. I'm currently using her as one of my main attackers in my hard mode playthrough. Speaking of hard mode, I finally completed the game today and unlocked the secret bonus boss, who is easily 1-shotting everyone I have and takes nearly no damage from my attacks. Time to level grind another 50 levels! <3 Koakuma for boss fights.

Unless other suggestions are made, I think the next turn will involve purchasing equipment and attacking the Road of Reconsideration again.

@ Memnarch:
    The amount of Ouki earned per turn grows as you develop and gain more Ryumaku.

@ Terraoblivion:
    Not sure if you've completed the game yet, but I'll say that as much as I liked Alice throughout the game, I liked her even more in the ending. She's definitely one of the most plot-relevant characters in the game, along with Shikieiki (who plays a big role in the extra boss battle).
    Last edited by Mirrinus; 2010-10-24 at 01:40 AM.
    Check out my Let's Plays: Sengoku Gensokyo (Complete!), Touhoumon (Complete!), and Labyrinth of Touhou
    Jade Curtiss avatar by Teutonic Knight