Quote Originally Posted by Benly View Post
I'm saying it's fine; it's an okay utility and the guy doesn't have much to do with it.

The reason I suggested letting it stack is specifically because, as things stand, the player will end up with just about all of them anyway. Having something you can actually build up is nice. I don't see a decently high AC bonus as being gamebreaking on a melee-heavy class with only light armor proficiency, especially since each one is a natural weapon pick you're putting off (presumably to pick up with monster levels.)

Actually, with the NA, the player mentioned turned it into a deadly combo: first he had the character get as much NA as possible, then bumped up his Dexterity score as much as possible, resulting in a ridiculously high AC. There were few situations where he could be hit.

I assume you're talking about Create Spawn and Alternate Form (Humanoid)? Create Spawn is a gamebreaker, but it would make more sense just to ban Create Spawn from the available abilities.

Here's the thing about Alternate Form: with the way the class progresses, it's coming in at level 14 at the absolute earliest. This is a level when Summon Monster VII, Prismatic Spray, Reverse Gravity or Limited Wish is considered a level-appropriate ability. I am absolutely not saying that the Student Of The Weird should be getting Limited Wish at this level, let's get that out of the way. However, at that level forcing the character to reset to another progression and get first-level abilities as his ability for that level (1 point of heat damage! Detect Magic 1/day! WHOO) is a seriously raw deal.

The whole point of this class, as far as I can tell, is to go into the interesting and weird abilities monsters have. For the most part, the "half levels or level 4, whichever comes first" restriction prevents the player from getting the actual interesting abilities and restricts him to more natural attacks and first-level spell-likes with a very few exceptions.
Actually, I flat-out banned the Create Spawn. With the Ghoul, it was the Paralysis that became a problem. At the lower levels, it was good enough, but as it progressed, it became a problem. When I allowed full levels of monster classes, the playtest group would simply land a hit on each monster and leave, in some encounters, and in others would just paralyze the monster and beat up on it.

With the Aranea, I actually changed the Alternate Form(Humanoid) to Alternate Form(Aranea), replacing the Humanoid racial traits with those of the Aranea. This class was "taken" by another Student of the Weird in the playtest group, and was used to help immobilize creatures, to augment what the Ghoul-focused Student did. Again, this was much more effective at higher levels than the low levels.