Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 23-26

Spoiler
Show
We set out to take Muenzuka, and are first met with Komachi and a squad of ghosts. This was nothing new to us by now, and we walk all over them.

Wriggle's Eternal Night Hermit ability was on overdrive in this fight, triggering every single time she attacked and causing significant extra damage throughout the course of the fight. We score a smashing victory here.

Of course, things were going to get tougher from here on out. The Yama herself now steps onto the stage, and commands our full attention. Cue boss music.

BGM: Fate of Sixty Years ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Shikieiki possesses incredible ranged attack and wisdom scores, making ranged combat against her a fruitless endeavor. Komachi stood in our way at first, preventing our melee characters from advancing further to attack her boss. However, our magicians pummel Komachi quickly, allowing Shanghai and Wriggle to give Shikieiki a good thrashing.

Our victory celebration was cut short by a counterattack at Muenzuka, though. Thankfully, we had just enough spare characters ready to field a group for defense. However, it's the first time some of these guys have seen battle, so things were tough.

Our backup squad fought hard, but even against just a group of mooks, things didn't go too well. With a meager damage output, we were only able to somewhat match them blow for blow, but since our enemies had a large advantage in the battle guage due to fighting on their own territory, breaking even wasn't a winning strategy.

Despite some last-minute healing on Hourai's part, we still end the fight in the red and lose a significant chunk of the damage we had dealt to Muenzuka's defenses thus far. This sets us back at least a turn, as it ensures that we could not capture it on the next turn.

Even with this setback, though, we continue to press onwards. The next day, we saw battle once again with Shikieiki and Komachi. However, things were even tougher this time.

Making liberal use of her special ability, Shikieiki kept Shanghai and Wriggle paralyzed for much of the fight. Only by sneaking Reimu in close to Shikieiki were we able to deal respectable damage to her.

Our last confrontation was the closest one yet. Due to difficulty in obtaining and maintaining an advantageous position relative to our foes, our damage output seemed less than optimal this time around.

With our last ounce of strength, we were able to just barely nudge the battle guage in our favor. Thanks to a couple of lucky misses by the Yama's special ability in those final turns, we were able to preserve our sliver of a lead all the way to the end.

Komachi: Oof...What do we do now?

The Reimu-led Army had pressured Komachi and Eiki's army to the point of no return. With the forces they had remaining, defeat was inevitable.

Eiki: .........

Well, like they say, uh, how does it go? "You win some, you lose some", was it?

.........Komachi.

Wah, y-yes, what can I do for you?

Escape now before Reimu and the rest appear.

Wha?

Komachi, not expecting Eiki's astounding order, was completely flabbergasted by it. The possibility of it being a joke came to her mind, but she realized that Eiki was not the type to tell jokes or lies.

If that is your order, I shall carry it out. But...why?

A superior must take responsibility for her subordinates.

But Lady Shiki, it wasn't my fault that we lost...

...I am presenting you with a new duty. Join another army...Any one you can find, and stand up against Reimu once again.

Her answer this time was even more incomprehensible than the last.

Uh, well...If that's what you want, then fine...but why do that again?

That would be because...Hm, they are coming. Hurry up and leave.

Ah, yeah yeah...Um, Lady Shiki?

Yes?

Well, what about the Sanzu River and all...

Is it not obvious?

...Take care, Lady Shiki!

Right at the same time that Komachi left, Reimu's army appeared in front of Eiki.

Reimu: Here you are. Are you resigned to your fate? Your loss is surely guaranteed by now.

It appears so, indeed. I shall accept our defeat.

How honest, just as I expected of the Yama...Hm? Where did your amazingly hard-working underling go?

She is not an underling. She is my subordinate.

They're the same thing. Don't tell me she's slacking off again.

You have been quite rude the whole time. Perhaps you need another lecture.

Ahh, I'm sorry! Anything but that! Well, anyway, victory is mine. I'll be returning to the shrine, then.

(I have played my part...I shall now observe from within. Has she noticed? Has she realized? Reimu, all beings that are alive...cannot live alone.)

Eiki stood as a single purpole cherry blossom fell, asking questions in her heart that no one could answer.

"Higan Guard" has fallen.
Yamaxanadu Eiki Shiki has been taken prisoner.

Turn: 26
Ouki: 10877
Ryumaku: 23/56
Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
Defense: 250/250
Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
Defense: 160/160

Faintly Dark Path
Defense: 175/175
Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
Defense: 180/180
Cost to Develop: 15 RES

Magic Forest Border
Defense: 160/160

Magic Forest Interior
Defense: 210/210
cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
Defense: 190/190
Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Muenzuka
Defense: 215/215
Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
Army: Human Village Corps
General: Keine Kamishirasawa (leader)
Defense: 310/310

Special Events Available:

Declare War: Human Village Corps
9 NEG is required to declare war.

Prisoners

Shikieiki - Exceptional RNG, WIS, and NEG scores. Ability is a bit unreliable, but her ranged offense alone is fantastic.
Special: Yama's Judgment, may stun and/or debuff one target.

Kirisame Shop

New items for sale:

(3500 Ouki) Hurricane Wing - Raises SPD by 2, decreases DEF by 1, increases Cost by 1.

(8000 Ouki) Natural Barrier - Raises HP by 200, increases Cost by 2.

Not much of a choice in who to attack right now, but the real question is when. We can move in immediately, or wait a few turns and develop to build up our Ouki supplies. The big draws to the latter option are the new items we could buy. The Hurricane wing offers a large boost to SPD, but it's hard to justify raising speed instead of MEL/RNG, so it's best used on characters with already high offense. The Natural Barrier, though, is just plain amazing. 200 HP is an enormous boost at our levels, and will remain a significant item for pretty much the entire game.