Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 27-29

Spoiler
Show
Reimu: Can I speak with you for a second?

Eiki: ...I've been waiting for you, Reimu.

Huh...?

Reimu had originally came back here to convince Eiki to serve under her army, but the sense of seriousness and dignity that emanated from her made Reimu feel overawed.

hey, what's with the atmosphere here...And you were waiting for me?

Let me ask you a question, Reimu Hakurei. What have you gained from this game that Yukari Yakumo proposed?

What have I gained...? That's not a question I can answer when it's thrown at me out of the blue...

Then I shall change my question. Why did you come here?

Well, I wanted you to become our ally...

And what does that mean to you?

Uh...That means I want your power to...Geez! I didn't come to play 20 Questions!

Your words bring forth no sense of importance, or emergent feelings. I shall ask again. What are allies to you?

Allies...I'm still not sure how to answer that. I guess an ally is just someone who I fight alongside?

Eiki's stern face grew more and more grim. Was she disappointed with Reimu's answer? Or perhaps remembering her behavior before? Of course, Reimu had no clue herself.

What's with that scary face?

...It seems you still need some time.

What are you going on about now?

Very well, I shall join you as your so-called "ally". From here on, I shall view the future by your side.

Huh...? W-Well, if that means you're joining up, then that's fine, I suppose...

Is something the matter? Did you not come to persuade me to join in the first place?

Well, I did, but...Bah, this is too annoying to think about. Whatever, let's just work well together.

Did she not agree to it, or did she not understand it? Whichever the case was, the disheveled Reimu then went back. Eiki watched her disappear into the fog with sadness in her eyes.

Eiki's words, aimed at no one in particular, were simply swallowed up by the gusting winds.

Yamaxanadu Eiki Shiki became an ally.

The sun had fallen at the completely unpopular Hakurei Shrine, where a lone figure could be seen. The figure cast its gaze all around it, then eventually called out to the still air.

Eiki: ...I know you are there. Would you please come out?

???: .......

I do not have the time to play hide and seek with you, I'm afraid.

[color="purple]......My, I suppose I should've hid myself a little better.[/color]

The voice seemed to come from nowhere, but it was quickly accompanied by a crack in the space around Eiki, and a purple-coloured figure emerged in front of her eyes.

Yukari: Good evening, how do you do?

That does not sound pleasant coming from you.

That's awfully mean to say, don't you think?

...Shall we move on to the main topic?

Yukari wire a mischievous smile, but the atmosphere was clearly different from the mask she wore. However, eiki remained unperturbed, staring straight at her with a firm expression.

...Such a direct, unswaying and pure gaze you have. Certainly one befitting of a Yama.

Yet, even that is not enough to fully understand you. No matter how direct my gaze is, it eventually becomes swallowed up by a gap, and never reaches you.

The boundary of the heart can't be crossed so easily, I'm afraid...Speaking of which, have you managed to cross the boundary of that girl's heart?

...If such a boundary that could be overcome existed, I suspect it would be for the better.

Ahh, just as I thought...

She looked up to the heavens with a sigh upon hearing her expectations had been met. She had an air of disappointment, but she did not seem even the slightest bit discouraged.

I was honestly quite surprised to receive your letter. Your fears are not unfounded, indeed. However...I did not expect you to worry about it to such an extent.

My, I would do everything for my cute little girl.

So that is your reason for this massive undertaking?

That would be half of it. The other half, well...It's good to have some fun every now and then, don't you think?

...Very well. It certainly has not gone according to your scheme, though.

That girl's blood ensure that she shall resolve incidents and protect the barrier. Thus, she must be moderate and not let outside influences affect her. So to be safe, she must make sure that heart is never swayed...But I believe she's taken the meaning of that too far. She may look normal when communicating with several different types of humans and youkai...But she never opens her heart to any of them.

Family, lovers, friends, the people one meets in life...Not realizing the vast amounts of power she draws from them is terribly sinful. At this rate, she may no longer fall under my jurisdiction once her life is at an end...So I would like to correct her before that happens, but...

*sigh*...This is quite a bother. Half the reason I thought this game up would be meaningless at this rate. Perhaps I need to show her a bit of pain.

I will not accept any needlessly violent acts.

Of course...But if we leave the situation as it is, she may stay a loner always. Being strong enough to do anything alone is perhaps the worst possible sorrow.

...I have one question. Why are you so relentless in your support of her?

Hmm...Well. I've been doing it for countless generations...

[i]As she spoke, Yukari's gaze seemed to wander beyond Eiki and into the distance beyond. Just as she was about to continue, sounds started to emanate from within the shrine.

My, it seems it's about time for me to withdraw. I shall see you again. Farewell.

She stretched her arm out to the sky, and the sky opened similar to how she entered. Her figure quickly vanished into the gap. The one who created the sounds appeared just as the gap was disappearing.

Reimu: Gah, you were so loud with all your suspicious talking just now!

Good evening. Were you woken up?

It's not evening anymore, geez. Why were you and Yukari talking so secretively about anyway? I saw her going off just now after all.

When you have lived for a long time, you find all sorts of topics to converse about.

Hmm...Well, whatever. I can't sleep with all the noice you two made though, so keep it quiet, please.

That will not be a problem. I was about to leave myself...You do not care to know what we were talking about, I take it?

I'm not particularly interested. And besides, even if I asked, you wouldn't tell me anyway, right?

...I suppose that is true. I shall be leaving then. Good night.

...Weirdo.

Eiki turned around and flew into the sky of darkness. The day where the wishes of her and Yukari were to be granted seemed very far away.

Turn: 29
Ouki: 6694
Ryumaku: 30/61
Actions Available: 2

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
Defense: 250/250
Cost to Develop: 24 RES

Night-Blind Road
Defense: 160/160
Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Faintly Dark Path
Defense: 175/175
Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Entrance
Defense: 180/180
Cost to Develop: 18 RES

Magic Forest Border
Defense: 160/160
Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Magic Forest Interior
Defense: 210/210
cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
Defense: 190/190
Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Muenzuka
Defense: 215/215
Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Enemy Territories:

Human Village
Army: Human Village Corps
General: Keine Kamishirasawa (leader)
Defense: 310/310

Special Events Available:

Declare War: Human Village Corps
9 NEG is required to declare war.

Marisa's stock of items have been bought out, and we've developed 5 times as well (I tend to develop higher cost territories first). I guess we're just about ready to take on our next opponents.

Shikieiki is not required for beating the game, but recruiting her does begin a lengthy sideplot that's arguably more relevant than the main plot itself. It stretches across quite a few cutscenes, and truly ends with the game's Bonus Boss, who's arguably more fitting for a final boss than the actual final boss. But I really have to learn to stop dropping tidbits and spoilers...

EifieFlare: You are correct in that the game's item inventory seems to be at least partially randomly generated. I remember getting 2 Power Bracer's easily on my first playthough, but only 1 on my second (at least until turn 250). You tend to notice important items like that.