View Single Post

Thread: Statuary Gardens (Figurines)

1. - Top - End - #48
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Statuary Gardens (Figurines)

Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    You know, your grasp in anatomy might actually better than mine. Anyway, I really don't know what else to say to improve your works beside, hm... Maybe, could you smooth your figurines more? If they're smooth, I bet they'll actually look like something people would pay to have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fri View Post
    I bet they'll actually look like something people would pay to have.

!
    _

Seriously though, thank you .
    I have been aiming for a commisionable standard of quality and it's nice to hear i might actually get there at some point.
    As for smoothing, i tried sandpaper on some scraps but it leaves nasty scratches. Thus far the best method seems to be a wet blunt sculpting tool, sort of smear it even. Gloss varnish might also give a more 'finished' look as well as hide any slight bumps and such.

There's still the whole eye-thingy. I tried leaving out the lower border from the sculpt for this piece o' practice:
    Spoiler
    Show

Does that look any better?

Anatomy-wise, sculpting gets to take the easymode IMO. I can always make them to the same proportions, no need to worry about foreshortening and other perspective techniques that drawings have to apply .
    If i mess a leg, i can just nudge it around a bit until it looks good instead of erasing and starting over. A strenght of the medium i'd say.

Also, CHA-CHA-CHALLENGE time (theme being food):
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Everybody was Cook-Fu fighting..."

"Those meals were fast as lightning..."

"In fact it was a little bit frightning..."

"But they cooked with expert timing..."

Not food related, but it's not like all of them have to be right? So a hoplite:

Counting in either Kamina or Hakumen, that makes the weekly quota. Kinda early, but thats what happens when inspiration strikes .
    Had a bit of trouble balancing the second dude, so i forgot the cube. It's about as tall as the first.
    Last edited by IncoherentEssay; 2010-10-27 at 06:33 AM.
    It is more of a disclaimer than a name. Essay, Inc., or the like are all fine as shorthand.
    Things i made from clay, wire & paint.
    An opportunity to have your a bust of your character sculpted, details at the end of this post.
    Currently 4/30 slots claimed.

Creatively inclined? Join the Playground's CHALLENGE! Up your productivity today!