View Single Post

Thread: Norse Runes!

1. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Norse Runes!

I like all the being loved forever I'm getting for this. Most pleasant. This is why I love the Playground so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeppio View Post
    Could you do C.R.M. for me please? This whole idea is really cool and I'm interested.
    Now, there is no C, in Futhark. There are two alternatives, depending on pronunciation, as it is phonetic, Kenaz (K) and Sowilo (S). So, tell me which way it's pronounced, and I'll use the more accurate one. (If it's Ch, then it's best approximated by K-J, so I'm not sure what to do in that case. I guess I'd use a subtle Kenaz and Jera, seeing as Kenaz is already part of Jera that's easy enough.)

Quote Originally Posted by KingRyan View Post
    Could ye do RGJ for me? Thanks sir!
    These are in fact my initials (different order, which isn't important for bindrunes), JRG. So I could use this too. But, my other names are more deserving of magic.

Individual runes and meanings:
    Spoiler
    Show

R:

Raidho: Travel, Rhythm

G:

Gebo: Gift (as sacrifice and generosity), Exchanges

J:

Jera: Hopes, Expectations of success, Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Tialait View Post
    R.B.C. for my brother. And S.E.J.K. for me.

If you could...I will love you forever.
    Same as I noted a few above, there isn't a C in Futhark, but pick K or S from phonetics and I can do it no problem!

SEJK...This one is interesting. S, J, and K have a lot of redundancy (Jera and Sowilo are actually both made of up one Kenaz and one flipped Kenaz). So I'm going to make a couple, with varying degrees of prominence of different characters, see what you think comes out best!

...Ok, with so much overlap, there is an incredible range of options to combine these. They work really well around Ehwaz as a base, too. I made four, and honestly I could keep going for quite a while...

Spoiler
    Show

S:

Sowilo: Success, Honor, Health

E:

Ehwaz: Transportation, progress, teamwork

J:

K:

Kenaz: Vision, Knowledge, Creativity, Harnessed power

Quote Originally Posted by Ceric View Post
    RAY pretty please? Thanks so much!
    Worked out pretty well, I think. I like nesting runes like Ansuz or Fehu inside of bigger ones with triangles, like in the first one here and in my DF.

Spoiler
    Show

R:

Raidho: Travel, Rhythm

A:

Ansuz: Wisdom, Communication, Power of words. Odin's rune.

Y:

Quote Originally Posted by The Vorpal Tribble View Post
    A JAS would be awesome, though you're gonna be swamped pretty soon

Bonus points if you can make the runes look like an animal
    Fun challenge. I made a standard rune (and a variant on it) to start. Came out with quite an unusual look, I like it though. I couldn't manage to make one which looks like an animal, but I did manage to make an simple-form running (or leaping?) man, which I think works quite well.

Spoiler
    Show

J:

A:

Ansuz: Wisdom, Communication, Power of words. Odin's rune.

S:

Sowilo: Success, Honor, Health
    Last edited by Icewalker; 2010-11-01 at 02:50 AM.
    Quote of the [insert timeframe here]: (Week? Perhaps! Year? Also maybe.)
    "Those who have learned to walk on the threshold of the unknown worlds...may then with the fair white wings of Imagination hope to soar further into the unexplored amidst which we live."
    -Augusta Ada Lovelace

(Kairos avatar by Elrond)