As it turns out, Monday nights are just really busy for me, and will likely remain so for the near future, so you probably shouldn't expect updates on that day for a while. Consider it my break day.

Anyway, shall we continue?

Let's Play Sengoku Gensokyo - Day 62

Spoiler
Show
Eirin leads some more mooks against us in the first battle of Eientei.

Eirin has one of the most useful abilities in the game. At the expense of lowering the target's stats, Eirin's Medicine will fully heal any ally for a reasonable counter cost. The stat debuff is annoying, but not crippling, while restoring hundreds or even thousands of HP at once is quite useful. Thanks to her decent defenses, especially against ranged attacks, you can expect Eirin to be quite annoying to take down. If your battle counter runs out before you can defeat her, take care that she doesn't just heal herself back to full and then start pounding on your team freely.

Eirin: Ouch...I lost, it seems.

Eirin had lost the first battle against the Hakurei army at Eientei. Though it didn't look so, with the indifferent expression on her face. As she rubbed her hand, she thought of sleeping, when Kaguya entered.

Kaguya: Eirin.

Ah, princess. Is something the matter?

Even you were one step behind them, it seems.

...I'm sorry.

Eirin's demeanour was as light as usual in her initial reply, but Kaguya herself was giving off vibes of seriousness. Her gaze pierced right through Eirin sharper than she had ever felt.

There's a reason why I've left everything to you up till now...I'm sure you know what it is, correct?

...Yes.

So I would much prefer my trust to not be betrayed so easily. This has not been the first time either...You, Reisen, and even that girl...Fine. I shall participate in the next battle. I grow tired of saving myself here anyway.

Princess...

What? Do you have any objections?

...No, I am but a mere servant of yours, princess.

Very well. You shall accompany me into battle too.

Certainly.

...That's all I have to say. I shall be heading to bed, so take care of your injuries and rest for tomorrow.

Pleasant dreams, princess.

With a flutter of her skirt, Kaguya left her room. How long had it been since Kaguya adopted such a harsh and cruel attitude? The wound on Eirin's hand was nothing compared to the pain she felt elsewhere.

Mokou: KAAAAGUUUUUUYAAAAA!!

Kaguya: Wahh! What's with you now, you mannerless neanderthal?

That's rich coming from you...Who's the one who kept redirecting that army to my place!?

That was Eirin, not me.

And you're her boss! You may not be the culprit, but you're still under arrest as an accomplice to the consipracy! And I'll be your judge!

My, that's quite a big mouth you have. Have you forgotten how scary I can be after so long...?

Of course I can't. I've never seen anyone else as horrible a person as you. And that's why...this power is flowing through my body!

Excellent, I'm enjoying this as well! Fine, let's have some fun!

BGM: The Flight of the Bamboo Cutter ~ Lunatic Princess ~ Sengoku Arr. ~

Kaguya and Eirin together can be quite frustrating to fight because they support each other, and already have decent defenses to begin with. In this fight, Marisa's Master Spark (launched at full HP) only did ~70-80 damage each to Kaguya and Eirin, although it did wipe out the mooks.

Eirin's ability only complicates matters further. Nothing's more annoying than just barely failing to defeat Kaguya, only for Eirin to heal her back up to full HP. When at full health, both of them can hit Reimu for 300+ damage, which is fairly sizable given that Reimu's defenses aren't bad anyway.

Because of the tenacity of Kaguya and Eirin, this was our most difficult battle in a long time.

A single figure stood in the bamboo forest near Eientei, staring at it. Reisen had hidden herself since that fateful battle at the Lost Bamboo Forest. Yet, she returned...but her face did not give away why she did.

Reisen: I ran away again...but now I'm back...What was I thinking? It's not like I had anywhere to run to...

When Reisen lived on the moon, she had deserted her allies in the fight against the earthlings and escaped. This time, she had tossed her allies aside yet. History was starting to repeat itself. She had thought that she had forgotten all about it, but Eiki's words, and the entire war game that seemed so similar to that time...all the events just served to make her recall her long-buried memories. The realization that she left her allies to die, while she escaped with her life...the thought clouded her heart. The only way she knew how to deal with that cloud of darkness was to run away from it.

I don't have anywhere else I belong. But...They took me in, they gave me shelter, yet I...Ahh, the princess must be angry with me.

???: Very, very angry indeed.

!?

She had thought that she was mumbling to herself, but the voice that rang out behind her caused her to panic. She hurriedly turned around to see the one person that was hardest for her to face.

Princess...!

Kaguya: My, is there any need to look so surprised? I'm not a ghost.

I-I'm sorry. But why are you here...?

This area is my garden, why wouldn't I be here? Besides, there's something far more important to discuss...Where have you been this whole time?

Ah, uh...I...

Well, I more or less know even if you don't tell me anyway...What is it that you want?

What is it...that I want...?

If you ran away because you didn't want to fight, then you could've stayed away, and that would be that. But you're here right now. So what is it that you want?

Reisen's gaze fell to the ground, and she remained silent...Why did she come back? That was what she was trying to figure out herself.

I have no place to go...except here. I'm...really thankful for your kindness in protecting me when I escaped from the moon, and all the other times...

You're thankful but you don't want to fight. After all the care we gave you, that just won't do, you know.

But since you've come back, that means you've decided to repay the favour, hm? That's good, so I'll be counting on you from tomorrow onwards.

Uh, I...

My, what's the matter? It's getting rather late, you need to get some sleep or your body will feel it in the morning.

Kaguya took Reisen's hand and tried to drag her towards the mansion. But Reisen's feet would not move an inch.

What's wrong? Let's go back already.

...!?

Reisen reflexively shook Kaguya's hand off hers. She then realized what she just did, and cursed herself in her mind as she bowed deeply.

I-I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to...

...*sigh* You really are such a bother. Do you really plan on running away forever?

Running away...forever...

Did you think that I was clueless...? I know very well what you're running away from.

...When the Yama gave me a good scolding, I started seeing dreams of the moon that I hadn't seen in a long time. They quickly stopped, but now...

...You're seeing them again. And that's because...Well, it's obvious, isn't it.

Princess, what...what should I do? I don't know anymore...

Stop being so emotional!

!?

Kaguya suddenly became harsh and strict with her words. It was the first time Reisen had ever seen Kaguya be so direct with her emotions.

You don't want to be hurt, you don't want to feel pain, you don't want to see anything, yet you expect others to believe you that you're reflecting on it?

I don't expect them to! I just don't know what I should do anymore...!

...What do you think about everything now? About the moon, about the present, about you.

I...honestly don't know. But there is one thing I know, although it may be selfish...I want to protect the place I belong to...and Eientei is that place.

Huh, so you know what you should do already.

...Eh?

Everyone has regrets about their failures. Whether it's right or not to be regretful about it...That's something you won't know for sure in the near future. You shouldn't get swallowed up by such things like reflection and regret. Just accept the events of the past. They are what made you the person you are today. You said that there was a place you wanted to protect...That line that came from deep within you is your true answer to your past.

Her expression was strict, but her words were kind and carefully thought out. They permeated within Reisen's heart.

Is that...Is that really alright? I...

Good grief, I said it's fine, that means it's fine! In the past, the present, and even in the future, I...no, we all will always be here for you.

Princess...You can forgive me?

As I said, in the past, present and future...and always. Now, it's getting really late, so I'm going to bed. You should get some sleep too.

T...Thank you so much!

Mmhmm. Good night...Reisen.

Kaguya returned to the mansion with a yawn. Reisen slowly followed after her, but paused for a second to look up at the moon in the sky. She will never forget. But that did not mean that she had to let it haunt her forever. How will Reisen approach her new self-acceptance and direction in life? Whatever might happen, the moon will watch over her as she finds her way forward.

Reisen Udongein Inaba has returned to the Eientei Forest.

One more counterattack on Eientei rounds out this turn. It's just a bunch of mooks, so this is nothing noteworthy. We crush them before they even get a turn (Aya is just that fast).

Turn: 62
Ouki: 13971
Ryumaku: 93/124
Actions Available: 3

Our Territories:

Hakurei Shrine
Defense: 250/250
Cost to Develop: 27 RES

Night-Blind Road
Defense: 160/160
Cost to Develop: 33 RES

Faintly Dark Path
Defense: 175/175

Magic Forest Entrance
Defense: 180/180

Magic Forest Border
Defense: 160/160

Magic Forest Interior
Defense: 210/210
cost to Develop: 9 RES

Road of Reconsideration
Defense: 190/190
Cost to Develop: 30 RES

Muenzuka
Defense: 215/215
Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Human Village
Defense: 150/310

Garden of the Sun
Defense: 175/175

Nameless Hill
Defense: 205/205
Cost to Develop: 9 RES

Misty Lake
Defense: 225/225

SDM Gate
Defense: 230/230
Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Great Library
Defense: 195/195
Cost to Develop: 12 RES

Clock Tower
Defense: 210/210

SDM Top Floor
Defense: 225/225

Lost Bamboo Forest
Defense: 205/205

Hidden House
Defense: 195/195
Cost to Develop: 6 RES

Enemy Territories:

Eientei
Army: Eientei Forest
General: Kaguya Houraisan (leader)
Defense: 60/230

Blossoms Barrier
Army: Hakugyokurou Hades
General: Prismriver Sisters
Defense: 220/220

Hakugyokurou Stairs
General: Youmu Konpaku
Defense: 200/200

Hakugyokurou
General: Yuyuko Saigyouji (leader)
Defense: 235/235

Yakumo Residence
Army: Yakumo Clan
General: Yukari Yakumo (leader)
Defense: 310/310

Special Events:

War Declaration: Yakumo Clan
Costs 10 NEG to declare war.

Kaguya does have a mouth. It's just really small and hard to see in some of her poses.

I can't tell if Kaguya is suppose to be a jerk or not in this story.