New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Turn Undead into something else

Im possibly going to be playing a Cleric soon if my Archivist keeps being unsatisfactorily for me (tho that is partially the DMs fault)

Im looking at being a Dwarf and i'd not rate CHA highly on Stat scales for this PC anyway but was wondering what suggestions i could get for something to replace Turn Undead with

the End goal of the PC will be a Rune Priest type character (the Domains are Rune & Metal) focused on Crafting Runic items and such with levels in the Battle Smith PrC

a couple of idea's i found in a Dragon are Mystic and Weaponmaster
    Mystic gives an extra spell slot of the 2nd highest spell level you have
    Weapon Master basically gives the Somatic Weapon feat and a +2 to Weapon smithing (this is the one im favoring atm as it fits heavily with the idea i have)

But i was wondering what else is out there
    Thankyou to NEOPhyte for the Techpriest Engiseer
    Spoiler
    Show

Current PC's
    Ravia Del'Karro (Magos Biologis Errant)
    Katarina (Ordo Malleus Interrogator)
    Emberly (Fire Elemental former Chef)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Just play the character you want to play. Don't feel the need to squeeze every point out of the build.
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    take this virtual +1.
    Peril Planet

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Turn Undead into something else

You could just take a Divine feat and burn Turn attempts for a boost. Some of them are pretty good, and don't need any sort of investment beyond the feat. You can also trade it for Smite Evil, which wouldn't add to-hit, but would boost damage a handful of times a day.
    [/sarcasm]
    FAQ is not RAW!
    Avatar by the incredible CrimsonAngel.
    Saph:It's surprising how many problems can be solved by one druid spell combined with enough aggression.
    I play primarily 3.5 D&D. Most of my advice will be based off of this. If my advice doesn't apply, specify a version in your post.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Pick up a feat like Divine Metamagic, that allows you to use your turn undead uses for something else. But, since you don't have that many to begin with, it might not be that helpful.

The Aspirant (Cleric Variant, DR 311) swaps out Domains, Spontaneous Cure and Turn Undead for a bonus to AC and some other abilities.

The Rage Cleric (Cleric Variant, DR 333) loses Domains and Turning in exchange for Raging, as a Barbarian and with all the rage improvements (Tireless Rage, etc.) that go with it.

Crystal Keep has a pdf file, 3.5 Base Classes, that you should download.
    "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence"

"Everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms—to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way."

"When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves."

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

You could talk to your DM about using variant turning rules: 1d6 per cleric level, undead get a will save (DC 10 + Cleric level + Cha mod) for half damage.

Certainly simpler and probably more useful than standard turn undead rules, but it's only helpful if you know you'll be fighting the undead. Otherwise, yeah, I'd suggest a feat, such as a domain feat, that you can power with turn undead attempts.
    Halbert's Cubicle - Wherein I write about gaming and . . . you know . . . stuff.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Well, if you like Incarnum, you could use the Azurin Cleric racial sub ability.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Races of Stone has an alternate class feature for dwarven clerics. Smite Giant.

Smite Giants (Su): A dwarf cleric who takes the 1st-level
    racial substitution level can attempt to smite a giant with
    a melee attack, similar to the way a paladin smites an evil
    creature. She adds her Constitution bonus (if any) to her
    attack roll and deals an extra 1 point of damage per cleric
    level. The cleric can use this ability a number of times per
    day equal to 1 + her Con modifier (minimum once per day).
    If the cleric accidentally smites a creature that is not a giant,
    the smite has no effect but still counts as one of the cleric’s
    daily smite attempts.
    This substitution benefit replaces the standard cleric’s
    ability to turn or rebuke undead.

There we go. And, oh, taking a dwarf cleric substitution level means Knowledge(Dungeoneering) is a class skill.
    Last edited by Okizruin; 2008-12-18 at 11:23 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you actually *wanted* to turn undead, you could take the serenity feat in Dragon Compendium, which makes turning based on Wis.
    Sig'd

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

There is an ability called greater turning which destroys all undead that would be turned. Depending on the domains you choose, you might receive this ability.sun Domain has this ability There are also the feats extra turning and improved turning, which supplement Clerics against the undead. Include 5 ranks in religion to gain a bonus and increase Charisma in order to affect the undead.
    Yet another Touhou fan in the playground.
    I'm the strongest, but don't call me an idiot or I'll cyro-freeze you together with some English Beef. - Cirno Avatar by me, assassin8⑨