New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Space Opera: A cruise to Remember (IC)

"Well, you don't have to worry about me, Doctor...uh, I don't think I caught your name, ma'am.

Anyways, you won't have to worry about me. I happen to know my way around a bandage as well, and I can patch myself up if need be...unless I'm in a real bad way, but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that. Actually, if you need any help in your infirmary, feel free to give me a call. I can't do brain surgery, but I at least know how to put in a C-Line and what have you. Might be able to help out if you get your hands full, you know? Not that you're not capable of handing yourself, of course. But an extra pair of hands never hurts in your line of work, I'd imagine."
    Last edited by Pumpkin3.1415; 2008-12-21 at 02:23 AM.
    Vanguard of the Horace Greenhilt fan club. Pretend there's a smiley and get off my back...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

I caught yours, I'm afraid, Miss... Bianca? Anyway, I'm Doctor Erica Amleth

She looks slightly tired at having to repeat herself, but still seems more or less fine. She even brightens up at the mention of an extra pair of hands, well, by her standards anyway

And we haven't got a shortage. For once. Fully stocked med bay, staffed by a team of MediTechs around the clock. We're unlikely to need help anytime soon, I'm afraid. If we do, then I don't think anyone's going to refuse you though.

If anything, it's the opposite problem. We've got the capacity to treat a hundred people. On a pleasure liner. Barring a major disaster, us med staff have a lot of equipment and little to do.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-21 at 05:59 AM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

In Auromar, Histantos Illist, Aasimar Warlock.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Romow

Name's Romow. And you're a doctor as well Ms. Bianca? As I said before, no offense was meant. He said with a slight bow. It's just most doctors I know, unless one is a combat medic, wouldn't know a 40 watt plasma rifle from a needler.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr Amleth

Erica frowns

An exaggeration, surely. A needier and a plasma rifle are completely different weapons. You don't need to have more than a cursory understanding to tell the difference

She doesn't appear to have picked up on the humor
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, to be fair that was a very important escape" he coughs meaningfully "I believe that particular group wanted to eat my liver"

"No offense Taken" he holds up his hand to Amleth "Though I am not an Aristocrat...heh I'm a farm boy from Solaris 3."

James caught it, but he also pats his jacket pocket "Well, I'm decent with a needler, but yeah I wouldn't be too good with a plasma rifle."
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bianca begins laughing so vigorously that the cigar drops from her mouth.

"Hahaha..me? A doctor? No, no, no...I'm a glorified mechanic, really. I know some basic meditech, is all, so I have a small amount of medical knowledge. But I'm hardly a doctor.

I really don't have much experience with a plasma rifle, that's true. I've gotten my hands on some old 7.62mm rifles back in the day, though. What a kick they'll give you! I don't use them anymore, but I can hold my own in a fight, believe you and me.

And obviously it was important, James...we're still here, aren't we?"
    Last edited by Pumpkin3.1415; 2008-12-21 at 01:36 PM.
    Vanguard of the Horace Greenhilt fan club. Pretend there's a smiley and get off my back...

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

What a pair..

Erica rolls her eyes, though only after closing them. She smiles gently at Bianca and Hollins

Well, where are you bound? The Glorious Day has a long list of ports it docks with each voyage.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-21 at 01:39 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

8. - Top - End - #68
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Honestly, Dr. Amleth, I have no clue. James hasn't told me a thing about this voyage, other than I'm to stay out the engine room and enjoy myself...which I've generally assumed to have been mutually exclusive to each other."

She chuckles to herself, and grabs the cigar she dropped, and extinguishes it in a nearby receptacle.

"I'm hoping we're going somewhere cold...I've never seen snow before, have you, Doctor? I've heard it's magical looking...I mean, tiny crystals falling from sky? Sounds like something out of a fairy tale."

Bianca sighs, and puts her duster back on. She removes the copper wire holding her hair back, and the greasy mess flops out unenthusiastically. Bianca puts the wire back in her bag, and pulls out a black boonie hat, just as worn and greasy as the rest of her ensemble.
    Last edited by Pumpkin3.1415; 2008-12-21 at 01:50 PM.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

"As a matter of fact...we ARE going to where there is snow" he shrugs "Its not an ice planet for sure, but it is winter where we're going" he coughs "I have to see an old friend about a...problem I have"

he glances meanifully at Bianca.

"Erm, what? You mean me?"
    She's Shona Han. Disappearing for a hundred years just means she's had a hundred years to plan. Trying to find out what happened to her is just going to draw her attention.

Then it's a good thing Greystone can KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND GO BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE!
    - SurlySeraph

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Llyrid

Llyrid shivers. "Snow? I've seen it before and gotten it strewn across my pelt - it's cold and wet and uncomfortable. Ugh - give me sun and warmth any day.

...Problem? What problem would you have?"
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Really, James?! Snow?! Oh, this is gonna be awesome...I hope I packed enough warm clothing! Oh, thank you James! Thank you!

...Man, I am not looking forward to your birthday this year...I can't think of anything I could get you..."

Bianca takes off her headwear and hangs it behind her head with the strap around her neck. With a laugh, she responds to Llyrid.

"Oh, wasn't it some tablet or something like that, James? Something you couldn't translate, right?"
    Last edited by Pumpkin3.1415; 2008-12-21 at 03:24 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

Sorry to hear that, Doctor. Never good to have to consider something serious on a pleasure cruise.

The little smile fades for a moment, before returning, soon enough. It seemed hard to permanently suppress.

What's the problem? Anything a medic with a large med bay full of resources can help with? That's more or less what I'm employed for, after all.

She briefly holds a hand to her head, trying to guess where the Doctor and his Companion are heading to, but soon gives up with a gracious smile

And where's the world? Afraid I haven't got our itinerary memorized, not really my area. I might come ashore myself thoug, Captain permitting. I've seen snow before, but not often. It'd be nice to head down for a little chill outside of the black.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rollins for the new Dr. Who! Didn't spot that one before

Oh, and Amleth wasn't so much a total war reference, more just me casting about for a surname I liked. .
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

"No it was..."

"Shut up, Go with it!"

"a piece of jewelry, but its really all the same"

He turns to the Dr. "I'm not exactly sure, but its on Graon, the Capital city of Argeth" he shakes its head "I doubt medicine can solve my problem"
    Last edited by Greystone; 2008-12-21 at 03:43 PM.

- SurlySeraph

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Argeth, hmm? I can't wait to get there...I don't think you can either."

She sensually strides up to James and leans directly up to his ear, in a opposingly serious tone.

"C'mon James, at least try to roll with me on this one...we have a cover story for a reason, you know..."
    Last edited by Pumpkin3.1415; 2008-12-21 at 03:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

The back of his neck flares red "Err, yes, sorry about that"

- SurlySeraph

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

With a tablet? I suppose not. Or jewelry either, for that matter. Closest I can come is an ability to check your personal MedBand..

Erica recognizes nerves when she sees them, but doesn't peruse, merely continuing to smile gently, reassuringly

What's wrong with this jewelry then? Can't you identify the civilization it came from?
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well, I know what civilization its from" he shakes his "Its Forerunner, but I simply don't understand its meaning"

- SurlySeraph

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

ForeRunner?

She looks slightly taken aback by that, but smiles, if a little more weakly

No wonder you can afford first class, if you can treat ForeRunner jewelry so casually, Doctor Rollins. You'll probably be the toast of at least one dining room conversation

So, what's the problem with understanding it? Engravings you can't translate?

Spoiler
    Show
    Does the Linguistics skill cover written language anyway? Curious. I know Erica doesn't know Rollins has it, just saying

And how common are ForeRunner relics? I'm guessing not very, but I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Moral Wiz; 2008-12-21 at 04:22 PM.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

19. - Top - End - #79
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Pumpkin3.1415 View Post
    "Afternoon, James! Looking forward to our little trip? Have you ever been on a ship this big? What kind of engines do you think they use? How fast do you think it can go?"
    "There's no friction in space! Any ship can get up to any speed under light speed given enough time!" Tuesday thinks.

"Why don't people care about stuff like that?"

Furious, he calms down by working on his role-playing game, Space Opera.
    Last edited by Jolly Steve; 2008-12-21 at 04:29 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

Forerunner artifacts and civilization.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not much is known about the Forerunner civilization. It disappeared a long, long time ago.....before any of the known civilizations had figured out what that hot substance was on that wood over there.

They colonized the entirety of known space, and ruins can be found all over the place. The level of technology they evidenced was extremely high: Matter transmission, time manipulation, and the like. No evidence of what happened to them has ever been found. No one is even sure what the looked like, beyond being humanoid in appearance. Artifacts from forerunner ruins command a high price. Artifacts that still work can command the price of a small planet, or more.
    Thanks to Edwin for the Avatar!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well I can decphier it" he shakes his head "I just can't understand it"

He glances up "Its not casual, its irritation I assure you"

- SurlySeraph

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

Hmm

Erica's truly interested in this now.

Mind letting me have a look at a transcription? I enjoy puzzles, and really, might as well.

She sighs

I'll probably have to be heading into the ship soon, to make sure the MedBay's all ok since I left. And after that, I'll have nothing to do till we hit FTL. I'd appreciate it.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

James smiles "Sure, I let you see a translated copy of the transcription"

- SurlySeraph

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

Sure.

Erica smiles as James hands it over, either on paper, or through a connection to her MiniComputer. She nods as she looks it over

Thanks. That'll keep me busy for a bit.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

"Oh your perfectly welcome Doctor" he reaches out his hand "Well if you have to go, I shall see you around, nice meeting you"

"Very nice"

"Shut Up"

- SurlySeraph

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Dr. Amleth

Erica shakes the hand, and bows, smiling at the Doctor

Indeed. Same here, Doctor. I'll probably see you later, although hopefully not in the MedBay.

If I get anything interesting out of this transcription of yours, I'll let you know. I might come and have a word with you anyway, actually. It's rare to have academic company on voyages like this.

With that, she picks up her bag, and heads off in the direction of boarding, looking to get on board the Glorious Day, and to make sure the MedBay was in working order, MediTechs on standby, ect.
    Rathe avatar by Recaiden

27. - Top - End - #87
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Nice meeting you, Doc! See you around, I suppose."

Making sure that Doctor Amleth is well out of sight, she begins nudging Rollins with her elbow.

"Well, look at you, James, a regular Casanova over here. Looks like you made a friend. And she wants to see you again...I had no clue you could be so suave!"

Bianca wraps an arm around James' shoulder and begins to chuckle.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

Jame's blushes and begins to stammer "I..err..well you see ah" he shuts his mouth before he can embarrass himself more.

The voice in his head merely laughs.

- SurlySeraph

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Romow

Snow, he chuckles to himself. I'd love to be anywhere that it's cold enough to snow right about now, he says with a sigh.

Listening in to the conversation about Forerunner technology he feels the need to chime in. I'd be careful who you let know that you even know what that stuff is, let alone tell strangers you have a piece. Whether it's on you or not. Those innocent looking trinkets, as I'm sure you know, can drive normal beings to do things that would be better left unsaid, he says to the doctor in a hushed tone.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

"You know he is right"

"Since when are you helpful"

"Did I tell you?"

"...Touche"

"Err, yes I understand sir" James says in an equally quiet tone.

- SurlySeraph