New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Parry, thrust, repeat [PrC, PEACH]

Elegant Executioner

Your death will be swift.
    - Aran Lanneon, an Elegant Executioner

Reanya swiftly parried the guard's attack, followed up by a punch to to his gut. Knocking him prone, she planted her blade in the guard's throat on his way down, killing him.
    ....But they weren't alone. Surrounded by three other guards, Reanya enjoyed how the adrenaline rushed, filling her senses with the warmth of victory. Calmly waiting for the next opening, the guards circled Reanya, while she had her defenses up.
    ....Abruptly, one of the guards launched an attack and felt how it met Reanya's sword. Determined not to give in, he pressed onwards, trying to corner Reanya. Another guard threw himself into the battle, trying to slash her from behind while the last guard just waited, sure that the sudden attack would send Reanya to her demise.
    ....Clarity filled Reanya's mind as she dodged the blow coming from behind and escaped the clash with the guard in front. The two guards now both confused and dumbfounded, Reanya found herself seizing the opportunity and let her blade slide in between a small hole in one of the guards' leather armor. Blood spilling forth, she smiled wickedly, the guard badly wounded...

Did the above text make you think of your normal fighting style? Do you launch intricate attacks and find yourself dodging every other blow to follow up with debilitating strikes catching the enemy off-guard? Then you should consider this PrC. Parrying your foes' swings and thrusts in such ways that leave your opponents off-balance, allowing you to perform severe counter attacks, is what defines the Elegant Executioner. You are a master in battle, throwing off incredible maneuvers and leave your enemies astonished by your immense prowess in the way of the blade. Your blows are swift and your parries nimble, rendering many a combatant terrible crippled by maneuvers they had no chance of foreseeing.

Requirements
    BaB: +6
    Feats: Combat expertise, Combat reflexes, Weapon finesse
    Skills: Balance +9, Bluff +6, Tumble +6

Class skills (4 + int modifier): Balance, Bluff, Climb, Escape Artist, Intimidate, Jump, Listen, Move Silently, Perform, Profession, Spot, Swim, Tumble

Hit Dice: d8

The Elegant Executioner
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Parry

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Riposte +1d4, Sure step

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Coup fatal

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Riposte +2d4, Flèche

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Abrupt knock-down

6th|
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Riposte +3d4, Refugee

7th|
    +7
    |
    +2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |Cunning deflections

8th|
    +8
    |
    +2
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |Riposte +4d4, Rapid ruse

9th|
    +9
    |
    +3
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |Twisting parry

10th|
    +10
    |
    +3
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |Riposte +5d4, Dazzling assault[/table]

Class features:

Weapon Proficiencies: You gain no proficiencies with any weapons or armor.

Parry (Ex): At level 1, an Elegant Executioner has learned how to effectively deflect her opponent's blows. If she is attacked, and has an unexpended attack of opportunity available, she may choose to forgo use of that attack of opportunity for the round and attempt to Parry the attack. To do so, she makes an attack roll herself. If the result exceeds her opponent's attack roll, she negates that attack, effectively making it miss her.

This ability can only be used while wielding a weapon which Weapon Finesse applies to.

Riposte (Ex): At 2nd level, an Elegant Executioner's parries renders her enemies momentarily off-balance and confounded, leaving them open for a telling counter. Upon executing a successful Parry she may, as a free action, follow up with an attack standard action. The Elegant Executioner gains a bonus to the damage roll of such an attack, equal to +1d4/2 levels. The attack granted by this ability does not count as an attack of opportunity.

Attempts at sundering the enemy's weapon can't be done, but a disarm or trip attempt is allowed.

Coup Fatal (Ex): With a flick of her blade, the Elegant Executioner makes sure her enemies don't come back once they've been laid low. Starting at 3rd level, whenever she brings an opponent to 0 HP, or lower, she may take a immediate action to perform a coup-de-grace against that target.

Sure Step (Ex): Stable footing is critical to the Elegant Executioner's success. At 2nd level, she may ignore difficult terrain for the purpose of taking five-foot steps.

Flèche (Ex): You know how to dodge blows even while you charge your opponents. At the time you reach fourth level, you don't provoke attacks of opportunity while charging.

Abrupt knock-down (Ex): At fifth level, an Elegant Executioner learns how to make good use of the momentary loss of balance her enemies suffers from when she parries. She may now add her int modifier to trip attemps made as a riposte.

Refuge (Ex): At 6th level, an Elegant Executioner is so familiar with the art of deflecting blows that she can even block attacks directed at those nearby. She may now also Parry attacks directed at creatures and objects within 5 feet of her.

Cunning deflections (Ex): An Elegant Executioner is an experienced combatant, having no doubt what she should do in a fight. Her mind is skilled at handling difficult situations within a fight and she let her inttelect influence your actions. She may now add your int modifier to your parry rolls.

Rapid ruse (Ex): The Elegant Executioner is trained at feinting her enemies, knowing how to maneuver the sword in deceptive ways. At the time she reaches eight level, she may now feint as a swift action.

Twisting parry (Ex): A ninth level, the Elegant Executioner learns how to twist and turn her blade in such a way that lets her send the foes' weapon to the ground when she deflects their strikes. She may now add her int modifier when making a disarm attempt as a riposte.

Dazzling assault (Ex): Reaching the pinnacle of the class, the Elegant Executioner is one of the most skilled at the art of the blade, slashing at her opponents with the uttermost grace. She may now use her dex modifier instead of her str modifier when dealing damage, disarming, tripping, and attacking.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-12-26 at 04:10 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Parry, thrust, repeat [PrC, PEACH]

You may want to change Ensured death to a swift action, an immediate action, or a free action that can be taken once per round. Otherwise, you can technically make infinite Coup de Graces in a round, meaning that anyone you CdG is guaranteed to die (because they'll eventually roll a 1 on their fortitude save).

Since most of the class's abilities run off of Nimble Parry, you might want to have each parry expend one attack of opportunity, rather than all of them. That makes it quite a bit more useful, and seems balanced to me.

Other than that, I like this. It's what the Duelist should have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by SurlySeraph View Post
    You may want to change Ensured death to a swift action, an immediate action, or a free action that can be taken once per round. Otherwise, you can technically make infinite Coup de Graces in a round, meaning that anyone you CdG is guaranteed to die (because they'll eventually roll a 1 on their fortitude save).
    Good catch. Fix'd.

Since most of the class's abilities run off of Nimble Parry, you might want to have each parry expend one attack of opportunity, rather than all of them. That makes it quite a bit more useful, and seems balanced to me.
    I don't really know, though. It's pretty powerful to be able to negate all attacks on you, but on the other hand, it's still only melee attacks, and you aren't even sure to parry the attack at all...
    But for now, I think I'll make it consume one attack of opportunity per use until someone shows up and says it's too powerful.

Other than that, I like this. It's what the Duelist should have been.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-12-20 at 07:29 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Make Nimble Parry only work with finnessable weapons. Otherwise people may take one level of the feat rogue varient for all three feats and skills, with int 14, of course. Then the uberchargers can't defend themselves the one time they fail to kill someone.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Guy View Post
    Make Nimble Parry only work with finnessable weapons. Otherwise people may take one level of the feat rogue varient for all three feats and skills, with int 14, of course. Then the uberchargers can't defend themselves the one time they fail to kill someone.
    Yeah, you might have a point...

Parry only works with finessable weapons now.

6. - Top - End - #6

Add bluff to the class skills. Knowing how to feint is just as important as actually fighting. Might want to make it a requirement.
    You don't want the monster? You don't throw the switch.
    Awesome Avatar by Starwoof

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Aergoth View Post
    Add bluff to the class skills. Knowing how to feint is just as important as actually fighting. Might want to make it a requirement.
    Oh, I completely missed that. And I'm a fencer myself, even though I admit that this class emphasizes the cinematic form of fighting...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

This has potential. With a rogue 4/barbarian 3 wielding a spiked chain

You should probably give a special thing at 10th level since I doubt anyone would get all the way to 10 only for a 5d4 riposte.

Edit: or rogue 4 barbarian 2 fighter 1 to help with the feats. Although it will hurt the XP gain.
    Last edited by Bayar; 2008-12-21 at 05:40 PM.
    **** Photobucket ; RIP avatars

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

You may want to make parry, in addition to taking up an AoO, only be usable as many times per round as class levels of elegant executioner, to remove dips, maybe adding in infinite parry at level 10. Although as a fencer the lack of a default parry option(or at least adding BAB to AC or something to simulate defense) bothers me. I know that I am way, way harder to hit because of parrying tactics than I would be if I didn't know how to use a weapon decently, or if I'm stuck with a weapon I'm not very good with(which pretty much consists of anything with a chain involved. Flexible weapons and me don't work well together.)

You may also want to give a feat option that let people use normally non-finessable weapons as finessable. For instance someone could pick up a feat and then parry with a staff, which is totally reasonable.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

I can't imagine a graceful fighter who's not really good with feinting... Maybe you can add some class features that allow it to feint well? Also, adding something on the 2nd, 8th and 10th level can't hurt much...

Oh yeah.. Add perform (dance) to the class skills... I dunno... for fluff reasons? I mean, he is a graceful person anyways...

Anyways... Love this class. I might make a character with levels in this prc. Two-thumbs up dude!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Knaight View Post
    Although as a fencer the lack of a default parry option(or at least adding BAB to AC or something to simulate defense) bothers me. I know that I am way, way harder to hit because of parrying tactics than I would be if I didn't know how to use a weapon decently, or if I'm stuck with a weapon I'm not very good with(which pretty much consists of anything with a chain involved. Flexible weapons and me don't work well together.
    What is it about Fighting Defensively, Total Defense, and Combat Expertise that doesn't do it for you?
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Combat expertise is good, what bothers me is the lack of a default increasing AC to simulate people getting better at blocking. If you give a fighter in normal clothing a sword their AC is 10+dex, whether they are level 20 or level 1. Combat expertise mitigates this a bit, but people really should get more of an automatic bonus. While hit points do this, they also apply to falls and such, so don't work well.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, gotcha.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

14. - Top - End - #14

I added some new abilities to level 2, 8, and 10 to reduce the dead level feeling they gave me.

For ease of access:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sure step (Ex): Being able to control where and how you plant your feet is critical for your success as a fighter. At second level, you may ignore difficult terrain for the purpose of five-foot steps.

Rapid ruse (Ex): You are trained at feinting your enemies, knowing how to maneuver the sword in deceptive ways. At the time you reach eight level, you may now feint as a swift action.

Dazling assault (Ex): Reaching the pinnacle of the class, you can at tenth level perform a dazzling assault once per day. To do that, you must first declare that you will launch such an attack, before you know the outcome of any rolls. Then, make a full-round attack. If you are unable to do so, whether it's by already having used a move or standard action or doing something else, you can't make a dazzling assault. All attack rolls made in the dazzling assault automatically threaten a critical hit if they hit, even if they are outside the normal crit range.

I also added perform to their class skills list and gave them 4 + int skill points per level, instead of 2 + int.

So, are any of those things unbalanced?

Combat expertise is good, what bothers me is the lack of a default increasing AC to simulate people getting better at blocking. If you give a fighter in normal clothing a sword their AC is 10+dex, whether they are level 20 or level 1. Combat expertise mitigates this a bit, but people really should get more of an automatic bonus. While hit points do this, they also apply to falls and such, so don't work well.
    I think I'll leave that to whoever are re-writing 3.5e.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by insecure View Post
    I think I'll leave that to whoever are re-writing 3.5e.
    Yeah. I just use the Fudge simultaneous combat system, which basically boils down to an opposed roll, better roll hits, although there are modifiers and such that complicate it. People don't gain hit points either, and how much damage is done depends on how much the opposed roll is won by. Its an interesting little system.

-- ChubbyRain

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Great class, but...

rendering many a combatant terrible hamstered
    ...what the heck???
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Combat expertise is good, what bothers me is the lack of a default increasing AC to simulate people getting better at blocking.
    That what Hit Points are. An 8 HP blow to a first level fighter would pretty much be a blow to the head, but for a tenth level fighter, who probably has around a hundred HP, it would be a solid blow to his shield, or one that knocked him off balance for just a second, or an otherwise powerful strike that only hits the strongest part of his armor.
    Last edited by Shpadoinkle; 2008-12-22 at 11:00 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Very nice, this is indeed what the duelist should have been. It seems pretty balanced to me although some play-testing wouldn't be amiss.
    To know that just one life has breathed easier because you have lived, that is to have succeeded.

Wonderful Faithatar by smuchmuch

My meager homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by averagejoe View Post
    Chivalry (n): A willingness to find excuses to beat people up.

19. - Top - End - #19

Ten levels, ten abilities. Seems like a bit much to me. Usually there is just some scaling or improvement at later levels. The way this is set up, it seems like it would be better as a feat chain.

Also, on limiting the number of parryable attacks, I think that the fact that your attack roll has to be higher than theirs is a very good balancer, so keeping it the way that it is is fine. To limit dips, you could make it at a -X (5-15, depending on if you want to use this as additional balance) penalty, +1 per class level.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    ...what the heck???
    I was tired when I wrote the fluff...
    Actually, I noticed it, but decided to not fix it, instead using it as some kind of a test, to see if people actually read the whole thing.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shpadoinkle View Post
    That what Hit Points are. An 8 HP blow to a first level fighter would pretty much be a blow to the head, but for a tenth level fighter, who probably has around a hundred HP, it would be a solid blow to his shield, or one that knocked him off balance for just a second, or an otherwise powerful strike that only hits the strongest part of his armor.
    Yes, but they also apply to enough other stuff to cheapen that.

-- ChubbyRain

22. - Top - End - #22

Something I noticed while looking over the class... What build actually qualifies for it at any given reasonable point? Straight Fighter can't before 12th, due to the Balance requirement; straight Rogue, not before 8th due to the BAB (or, fighter 2/rogue 6 for Balance AND BAB). Yes, I suppose Swashbuckler could work, but I kind of imagine most PrCs should be extensions of the core classes.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Monk will get in at 9th or so, I think. Flurry of Blows could be used to deal lots of extra damage after a successful parry, but it will also affect attacks of opportunity and thus chance of a successful parry next turn.

The effects of the abilities work for a skilled martial artist, but I'm not sure if the build would be weak or not.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

The issue with skills requirements can be easily solved, make a feat or a list of feats that grant classes skills. An example could be as simple as....

Cunning Mind
    You possible a certain guile, cunning and ruthless attention to detail that makes you more than a match for even the most devious trickster.
    Normal: Class skills as prescribed by the PHB or source material.
    Benefit: This feat grants the bearer the skills Bluff, Sense Motive, Diplomacy as class skills.

Deft Acrobat
    You seem more monkey than civilized being as you perform feats of amazing acrobatic skill that many would think impossible for one of your profession.
    Normal: Class skills as prescribed by the PHB or source material.
    Benefit: This feat grants the bearer the skills Balance, Tumble and Use Rope as class skills.

... but this is just a suggestion. Awesome Class by the way, I am thinking of running one in my next campaign.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by endoperez View Post
    Monk will get in at 9th or so, I think. Flurry of Blows could be used to deal lots of extra damage after a successful parry, but it will also affect attacks of opportunity and thus chance of a successful parry next turn.

The effects of the abilities work for a skilled martial artist, but I'm not sure if the build would be weak or not.
    Keep in mind that you can't use your unarmed strikes to parry, since they ain't finnessable.

Also, would anyone want to playtest it in some way?

26. - Top - End - #26

Keep in mind that you can't use your unarmed strikes to parry, since they ain't finnessable.
    Yes they are.

"WEAPON FINESSE [GENERAL]
    Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
    Benefit: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls...
    Natural weapons are always considered light weapons."

Also, would anyone want to playtest it in some way?
    Heh, yes, hence why I'm trying to make an NPC who can qualify for it before 8th level.

The issue with skills requirements can be easily solved, make a feat or a list of feats that grant classes skills. An example could be as simple as....
    So, we're making up new feats, so we can qualify for the PrC? Doesn't that seem a little backwards?
    That is not dead which can eternal lie
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

Expand for quotes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophismata View Post
    You are a bad, bad man, Abd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthromancer View Post
    'Psionics' is just tapping into the core of magic within yourself, whereas the mumbo-jumbo dancing, gibbering, and flinging around esoteric material components is like trying to paint-by-numbers when the guy next to you is rendering works from Picasso by memory alone.

Abd's contribution to the Animate/End A World project.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Azrad View Post
    Yes they are.

"WEAPON FINESSE [GENERAL]
    Prerequisite: Base attack bonus +1.
    Benefit: With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls. If you carry a shield, its armor check penalty applies to your attack rolls...
    Natural weapons are always considered light weapons."
    Now I'm just feeling stupid...

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

Not really to tell the truth, the feats wouldn't just be for the PrC, if you wanted to say play an Wizard or Sorcerer that is deceitful and skilled at trickery then the Bluff skill would be great to possess as a class skill, this is an example of course.

Some feats from the PhB grant ranks in certain skills, so wouldn't be believable to see feats that grant skills as class skills? To tell the truth I just came up with the idea myself while looking at this class.
    Last edited by Death's Shadow; 2008-12-23 at 06:31 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29

I have a few suggestions, corrections, and revisions you may consider implementing. It's a bit harsh sounding, but I'm just laying it all out technically. I like the class concept a lot, but it could use some refinement.

Parry (Ex): At level 1, an Elegant Executioner has learned how to effectively deflect her opponent's blows. If she is attacked, and has an unexpended attack of opportunity available, she may choose to forgo use of that attack of opportunity for the round and attempt to Parry the attack. To do so, she makes an attack roll herself. If the result exceeds her opponent's attack roll, she negates that attack, effectively making it miss her.

An Elegant Executioner can only Parry attacks while wielding a weapon which Weapon Finesse applies to.

(Why does the current wording for the Parry ability require one to not use their AoOs normally? As a fencer myself, the mentality I was taught was to keep one's eyes open for, and safely take advantage of, any and all openings. Making the class reflect that approach allows for more freedom to adapt to the flow of combat, and gives more of a savy opportunistic feel to the PrC. Personally, I'd like to see something tossed in [possibly as part of the core Parry, or as an advancement of the base ability, renaming it Nimble Parry] that removes the attack penalty to Parry from Combat Expertise. No point in making a prerequisite feat worthless now is there?)

Riposte (Ex): At 2nd level, an Elegant Executioner's parries leave her enemies momentarily off-balance and confounded, leaving them open for a telling counter. Upon executing a successful Parry she may, as a free action, follow up with an attack standard action. The Elegant Executioner gains a bonus to the damage roll of such an attack, equal to +1d4/2 levels. The attack granted by this ability does not count as an attack of opportunity.

Sure Step (Ex): Stable footing is critical to the Elegant Executioner's success. At 2nd level, she may ignore difficult terrain for the purpose of taking five-foot steps.

(Neat enough ability, though I fail to see it's relevance.)

Coup Fatal (Ex): With a flick of her blade, the Elegant Executioner makes sure her enemies don't come back once they've been laid low. Starting at 3rd level, whenever she brings an opponent to 0 HP, or lower, she may take a immediate action to perform a coup-de-grace against that target.

(It's cool, though I dunno if it's worth a level.)

(Flèche (Ex): I do not like this ability, it does not make sense with a class based around an ability to deflect, and counter, incoming blows.)

(Abrupt knock-down (Ex): Useless ability. Giving the class the Improved Trip feat would be better.)

Refuge (Ex): At 6th level, an Elegant Executioner is so familiar with the art of deflecting blows that she can even block attacks directed at those nearby. She may now also Parry attacks directed at creatures and objects within 5 feet of her.

(Cunning Deflection (Ex): I like the fluff, but the mechanics of upping Int in a non-skill based class is off. Between keeping a decent Str, a high Dex, and a good Con, this class will start getting serious MAD.)

(Rapid Ruse (Ex): Okay... so an ability that is like a feat, only ever so slightly better, and not in a way that really has synergy with the other class abilities.)

(Twisting Parry (Ex): This is another useless ability since attacks [such as the one granted by Reposte] can already be made as disarm attempts.)

(Dazzling Assault (Ex): I hate per day abilities, and I dislike how a passive-aggressive class ends up with a purely aggressive capstone. I'm not sure what to suggest in it's stead, but it'd fit better with the other abilities.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Innis Cabal View Post
    Toho has retroactive powers of awesome. He makes things that he hasn't done, and have already happened, better by his existence
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganurath View Post
    If anything, the term should be What Would Toho Do?
    Of course, in all situations the answer is Be A Badass.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian_Emrys View Post
    I have a few suggestions, corrections, and revisions you may consider implementing. It's a bit harsh sounding, but I'm just laying it all out technically.
    Don't worry. If I couldn't take critique & criticism, I shouldn't be homebrewing.

An Elegant Executioner can only Parry attacks while wielding a weapon which Weapon Finesse applies to.
    I like that wording. Gonna use that instead.

(Why does the current wording for the Parry ability require one to not use their AoOs normally? As a fencer myself, the mentality I was taught was to keep one's eyes open for, and safely take advantage of, any and all openings. Making the class reflect that approach allows for more freedom to adapt to the flow of combat, and gives more of a savy opportunistic feel to the PrC. Personally, I'd like to see something tossed in [possibly as part of the core Parry, or as an advancement of the base ability, renaming it Nimble Parry] that removes the attack penalty to Parry from Combat Expertise. No point in making a prerequisite feat worthless now is there?)
    Yes, it may seem stupid, but really, how many parries and "attacks of opportunity" do you make when fencing? You can't have your weapon in two places at once, can you?

Also, the pre-requisite feat ain't worthless, since it grants you more attacks of opportunities, and thus more parries.

Riposte (Ex): At 2nd level, an Elegant Executioner's parries leave her enemies momentarily off-balance and confounded, leaving them open for a telling counter. Upon executing a successful Parry she may, as a free action, follow up with an attack standard action. The Elegant Executioner gains a bonus to the damage roll of such an attack, equal to +1d4/2 levels. The attack granted by this ability does not count as an attack of opportunity.
    Again, I like your wording. It's nice to have someone edit one's work.

(Neat enough ability, though I fail to see it's relevance.)
    Once more, gonna use your wording as I prefer the way you put it.

Creeping through the night, he searched for something. Something above the normal. The people safely inside, they had heard he were on the prowl. Slowly, like a drowzing crocodile, he would take what he wanted for himself and leave back nothing. He were renowned, but not as a pleasant man. He were - The Wording-Stealer!

(Flèche (Ex): I do not like this ability, it does not make sense with a class based around an ability to deflect, and counter, incoming blows.)
    Where did I state it was a class only focused on defensive maneuvers?
    Also, it's an executioner, after all.

(Abrupt knock-down (Ex): Useless ability. Giving the class the Improved Trip feat would be better.)
    So, why is it useless? Please, also state your reason. Always state your reason, instead of just coming with a statement without argument.

The mayor stepped up on the rostrum.
    "My dear folks," he started, the crowd turning silent.
    "Tonight, something terrible happened."
    A gasp was heard from the crowd.
    "The Wording-Stealer came, again."
    Some fainted, some screamed, some cried.

(Cunning Deflection (Ex): I like the fluff, but the mechanics of upping Int in a non-skill based class is off. Between keeping a decent Str, a high Dex, and a good Con, this class will start getting serious MAD.)
    Keep in mind that you need at least 13 int to qualify for the class, due to the feats needed.

(Rapid Ruse (Ex): Okay... so an ability that is like a feat, only ever so slightly better, and not in a way that really has synergy with the other class abilities.)
    Well, learning how to feint properly was, and is, an important part of the training I receives.

(Twisting Parry (Ex): This is another useless ability since attacks [such as the one granted by Reposte] can already be made as disarm attempts.)
    Noticed how the Riposte effect works as a standard attack action?

(Dazzling Assault (Ex): I hate per day abilities, and I dislike how a passive-aggressive class ends up with a purely aggressive capstone. I'm not sure what to suggest in it's stead, but it'd fit better with the other abilities.)
    I'm also not very fond of this ability, but I needed some sort of capstone, and I thought I'd try to make it at least a bit cinematic. I also aimed for something playing on the words "Elegant Executioner".
    Last edited by insecure; 2008-12-23 at 08:10 PM.