New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Crystal Legacy Chapter 1

Kerlian gets up and dusts himself off, aware of everything that has occurred while he was unconscious. "Even if these goblins are honest (and may I remind you that they are devious and evil little creatures) what does it matter? Any righteous cause would be better served by us, the PCs, getting more XP from them, the NPC creatures."

I'll hold a ready action and cast Color Spray if the goblins try to run away or attack.

"Might I ask everyone to take a few steps back from the goblins? A cornered animal fights back fiercely."

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

Hmm. Teppy's brow wrinkled in thought. I suppose we do need the XP, but they've surrendered now, are we allowed to just kill them? It seems wrong to kill unarmed people. Teppy paused and thought some more. Even if they're mean, ugly, goblin-shaped people.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground

The party recieves 300XP each, and a treasure chest appears out of nothing. The goblins are in disbelief that you get it so good, and begin discussing the barefoot walk they need to make to get at their treasure after an encounter. Apparently the path traveled is uphill both ways.

The captain of the guard eventually shows up to see the disturbance, and offers to usher the goblins away for questioning.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #64
    Colossus in the Playground

"Ya see, friends?" asks Dolminit, "We're 3.5 edition characters ... which means even if I want to mount their heads on a pike ... [at that he glares at the goblins] ... we get XP now just for beating the challenge they represent. We no longer have to be mass-murderers to be successful adventurers!"

Party treasure at 600 gp ... I've marked it on Dolminit's sheet under party treasure.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2008-12-29 at 04:37 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

A muffled voice emanates from within the chest
    Errm, hello? Is anyone out there? I seem to be a little bit stuck.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

"Ah, yes, that is true. We get XP just for ending the encounter, I had forgotten. Therefore-" Kerlian's train of though is shattered by the voice from the chest. "Er, a-, what? Oh! A mimic! Yes, I've read of these, hang on here..." He pulls a book from his pack and sits on the chest, flipping through the book and reading intently.

"It must be in here somewhere..."
    Last edited by Splining; 2008-12-29 at 08:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67

"You Carpathian caterpillar! Get yerself off a that chest! Obviously those miserable molecules of mildew goblins hit you in yer head! There be someone stuck in tha' thar locker!"

8. - Top - End - #68

Inside of the chest, the party finds their new comrade. The party is able to fully heal and make their way to within the edge of the magic withing the forest before having to find their dice again. 200XP to whoever gives the best explanation of what their character sees and does along the path to the Forest Which Must Not be Called Girls Names on Saturdays.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #69
    Orc in the Playground

Iota learns the hard way that a +12 to Survival is not necessarily a good thing. I mean, sure, it makes it really easy to find and follow tracks, such as the ones the goblins and whatnot made leading up to The Forest Which Must Not be Called Girls Names on Saturdays. But whoever said that they were the right tracks? Or, for that matter, that you're following them in the right direction? He comes to the conclusion that the reason you usually move half your overland speed while tracking is for these very reasons.

Iota also spends a good hour contemplating the absence of an apostrophe in the name of The Forest Which Must Not be Called Girls Names on Saturdays. He spends another hour composing internal monologues about the irregular capitalization of said name, but at the end he decides "Ah, to the Infernal Plane with it," and decides he will henceforth refer to the TFWMNbcGNoS as "Steve."

Steve itself is surprisingly bright and cheerful-looking, given the usual "dark and foreboding" reputation of Big Bad Evil Guy lairs. One of which he has heard Steve is supposed to be.

But it's quiet.

Too quiet.

Iota fully expects a polygonal, anthropomorphic hare to pop up and yell "Careful! It's a trap!" at any given moment.

But in the meantime, he's content to wish everyone around him a Happy New Year, and welcome Spiro's addition to the party.
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

10. - Top - End - #70

PirateGirl

Teppy follows Iota's lead, humming to herself.

HmmHmmHmHmHmHmHmmmm

After a bit she added a little skippy step to the tune, and noticed that the path they we're taking was rather pale in colour. One might even say it was yellow.

Finally words added to the tune, and for some reason Teppy felt compelled to link arms with her comrades on either side of her.

We're off to fight the goblins, the horrible goblins of Goz
    They really are a horrible horr'r if ever a horr'r there were.
    If ever, oh ever a horr'r there were, the goblins of of Goz are those because,
    Because, because, because, because, because,
    Because of the horrible things they does!
    We're off to fight the goblins, the horrible goblins of Goz!

(In another universe this would be said to be sung to the tune of 'We're Off To See The Wizard', but as neither film, nor L. Frank Baum exist in this one such a comparison wouldn't be made.)

Apologies to Harold Arlen, E. Y. Harburg for taking a knife to their song, and neoseph for naming where the goblins are from (I checked and couldn't find anything specific, so I made something up that rhymed and scanned easily :))
    Last edited by thatsthebunny; 2009-01-01 at 12:03 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

(No new posts in any subscribed threads my...)

"Asphalt," Kerlian announces, "Is a substance which, alchemists theorize, could be simply poured into place to create roads." Extricating his arm from Teppy's grip, Kerlian watches as she skips down the broken old road.

Well, path.

Honestly, calling it an animal track would be an insult to animals everywhere. Oh, for the wonders of civilization...

Lost in thought on the state of the transportation infrastructure, Kerlian almost stepped in a large mud-filled hole in his path. Luckily, a skwak from his totally-ever-present raven familiar wakened him from his reverie long enough to step around the hole, consider sending a message to the local government about its horrible road maintenance, and promptly step into a similar hole. A few ravens perched in a nearby tree giggled quite raven-ly.

12. - Top - End - #72

To say the decision was hard is an understatement, and the three of you who came up with something get 100XP each. Iota receives an additional 100XP (for a total of 200), because his is the one I nearly croaked laughing on.

The forest is thick, and littered with random encounters, the party rolls for initiative as soon as they put their toe down. The area is live with magic, and 2 spell casting kobolds and a goblin archer are backing up an orc melee fighter, which is charging the party. I'll discuss what the enemy tactics are after initiative rolls on the party's part.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

PirateGirl

Initiative (1d20+3)[5]

14. - Top - End - #74

Dolminit's Inish: (1d20+2)[3]

Yeah, so in the immortal words of a cousin of Dolminit's: "Well, here's one dwarf ... won't ensnare so easily. I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox."
    - Gimli the Dwarf, just before being targeted [unawares] by an entire platoon of elven archers
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-06 at 01:02 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Iota's Initiative: (1d20+1)[6]

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

16. - Top - End - #76
    Pixie in the Playground

Pretty terrible streak we've got going here, see if I can fix it...

Initiative: (1d20+1)[15]

17. - Top - End - #77

PirateGirl

On this occasion we do seem to be a little ill-prepared for trouble :)

I have the eyes of a hawk and the ears of a fox
    Yes, and they're about as useful as that rabbit's foot you've got in there as well :)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

(Uni network went down for like a week so i have been haven't been able to connet, sorry)

Spiro wakes up from his sleep walking, which had happened to lead him down the same path as the rest of the party

Initiative: (d20+2)[20]

19. - Top - End - #79

Init

Sorceror1: (1d20+2)[17]
    Sorceror2: (1d20+2)[6]
    Melee: (1d20+1)[5]
    Range: (1d20+3)[18]

Everyone targets... (1d5)[4] Kerlian

The melee guy is going to charge. Attack (1d20+7)[24] Damage (1d8+3)[6]

The ranged guy shoots. Attack (1d20+5)[10] Damage (1d6)[2]

The spell casters each cast magic missles at the target.
    1 (1d4+1)[4]
    2 (1d4+1)[4]
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2009-01-09 at 03:38 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Pixie in the Playground

Seeing the multi-racial ambush pointed solely at him, Kerlian yelps with surprise, "Yelp!" and fires off a coruscating wave of colors from his hand

Color Spray:
    Spell Fail (10%): (1d100)[58]
    Unconscious, Blinded, and Stunned: (2d4)[5]
    Blinded and Stunned: (1d4)[4] rounds after that
    Stunned: 1 more round.

All creatures in the area (15ft cone, your rule as to whether this affects the casters/archer) suffer all effects.

Recharge Time: (1d6+1)[2]

After the spell, Kerlian draws his Longsword.

HP: 9 AC: 13
    Last edited by Splining; 2009-01-09 at 05:31 PM.

21. - Top - End - #81

You can hit all of them if you don't draw the longsword (so you moved before casting to hit all enemies and none of your allies). How about some will saves.

Will Saves
    sor1 (1d20+3)[10]
    sor2 (1d20+3)[13]
    ran (1d20)[9]
    mel (1d20-1)[15]

What's the DC? 14?
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2009-01-09 at 05:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #82
    Pixie in the Playground

Ah yes, saving throw. "All creatures ... suffer all effects." sounds less arrogant when I completely forget about that. DC is 14, yeah.

The move+spray instead of spray+sword sounds much better, but it also seems that I forgot about Spiro's action in my haste to defend myself from the humanoid dog-pile on me.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

So, um, as I'm reading it:
    1. Spiro takes his yet-to-be-posted action. For the purposes of this post, I'm assuming it does not neutralize any of the NPCs.
    2. The archer shoots and misses.
    3. Sorcerer "A" lets off a magic missile, for 4 damage (9 HP left).
    4. Kerlian fires the Color Spray. Only the orc makes his save.
    5. Iota & Sable take their actions (preemptively posted below, in the spoiler). Sorceror "B," who has the same init count, is unconscious.
    6. Teppy takes her action. If the orc (who shares Teppy's init count) is not neutralized by this point, Kerlian takes another 6 damage (3 HP left).
    7. Dolminit takes his action. Lather-rinse-repeat until the orc is neutralized, at which point we can probably restrain/Coup De Grace the group at our discretion.

In other, related news, "neutralize" is used in this context not as a reference to either axis of D&D alignment, but rather as a blanket term for death, unconsciousness, total immobilization, et cetera.

Spoiler
    Show
    Though he can't possibly know ahead of time that the orc is specifically intending to eviscerate Kerlian, Iota does know one thing: we're in a forest. And it's a prolific, magic-rich one at that. Why is this significant? That's another thing that Iota knows.

Iota nods in appreciation of Kerlian's ability to knock the kobolds and goblin unconscious. He shudders slightly as his personal demons choose to make themselves known...
    That was yet the ... least ... of your troubles, orc. I suggest you run for your life. Because, to quote a certain dwarf...
    THA TREES BE ATTACKING!

Before the orc has time to wonder what kind of psychotropic drugs Iota is taking that have driven him to make such a statement (and where he can purchase some, and how much profit he can make selling it), Iota holds his holy symbol aloft and intones but one word more.
    Entangle!
    DC 15 Ref save (temporarily) negates.
    Since Kerlian was able to set up a 15-foot cone that hits all four enemies, I'm pretty sure Iota can set up a 40-foot-radius circle that hits them but not Kerlian (since I can set the point of origin to be as much as 440 feet away). The specifics are at those two links up above.
    Clr 1 recharge: (1d6+1)[3]

Iota motions for Sable to join the fray, knowing she will keep out of the now magically-animated foliage.
    Bite attack on the nearest enemy: (1d20+3)[10] Damage: (1d6+1)[5]

Iota: HP 8, AC 12
    Sable: HP 20, AC 14

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

24. - Top - End - #84

PirateGirl

You nasty mean horrible creatures! Why do you always pick at someone all at once? You're supposed to attack one at a time so we can beat you one at a time. Those are the RULES!

The attackers make her so angry Teppy takes a deep breath,

and starts singing

We are the champions my fre-hends, dun dun duun duun.

She reaches into the top of her backpack, takes her flint & steel and starts slowly waving it above her head (it doesn't light up or anything she just feels it's The Right Thing To Do).

For some reason this performance inspires her and her colleagues to be just that bit more competent. Everyone gets +1 to attack and damage rolls and saves vs charms and fear.

25. - Top - End - #85

Teppy's song doesn't fill him with courage so much as he is greatly annoyed and wants to beat on something to let out his frustration at seeing Teppy's 'foolishness'.

"Dang-blastit, Teppy! Ya' damn hapless harlequin, cut that out!" yells Dolminit, irritated. For having a good wisdom, he just doesn't have a clue that he played into her manipulative, Palmolive-soft hands.

Dolminit moves in to attack, including Tumbling as necessary to not provoke AOOs. Tumble: (1d20+6)[20]

I'm not sure who is still standing, so it will be in this order:
    1) Caster
    2) Ranged Attacker
    3) Closest Melee

Though he carries his quarterstaff in one hand, he is using it more for balance and to vault around. He strikes his chosen opponent with a Diamond [Stunning] Fist (Fort DC 15 or stunned); attack=(1d20+2)[15], damage = (1d6+2)[6].
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-10 at 02:44 AM.

26. - Top - End - #86

reflex saves:

Sor1 (1d20+2)[21]
    Sor2 (1d20+2)[3]
    Ran (1d20+4)[16]
    Mel (1d20+1)[3]

fort save (on the caster that is not neutralized)
    (1d20)[16]

I have an interview several states away, and thus this is likely my last post for a few days. I'll be back.

Both casters are out (the spray and damage from the fist were enough, though they are not dead).

The ranged guy is out from the spray. The melee orc is still up and attacking.

On the orc's turn, he's going to swing at the nearest target, which happens to be Sable. Since this is an edit, I roll the dice elsewhere.

Attack: 13
    Damage: 7
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2009-01-10 at 03:46 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spiro lifts a finger and aims it at the orc, and gives a pause to think up a witty one-liner
    I think you should chill

Ray of Frost
    Ranged touch attack (d20+2)[6]
    Damage (1d3)[3]
    Sneak Attack (1d6)[5] (Ignore if I'm being incorrect on it's use here)

Spiro then retrives his shortbow

HP:7 AC:12

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Forgot recharge, and the fact that because I cam first in initive I should of thrown up my next move.

Recharge on 0th level (1d4+1)[4]

Spiro, feeling championed by Teppy's singing, unleashes an at the orc fighter

Attack roll (1d20-1)[17]
    Damage (1d6+1)[7]

29. - Top - End - #89

Alright, help me out again, please ... especially since I am a caster. What is with recharge? For some reason I assumed it was a 'long-term' mechanic (i.e., affects the character over the course of a day, rather than round-by-round). How does it work/ affect me casting spells?

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Recharge Magic explanation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Okay. Spells are split into two categories: "General" recharge, and "Specific" recharge. Your post is running in the mindset of the specific recharges -- depending on the power and cost of a spell, they can take anywhere from 5 minutes to a full day to recharge.

General recharge spells, however, can be used much more frequently -- your highest-level general spell will never take longer than 7 rounds to recharge (5 rounds for spontaneous casters). There's a trick, though: every time you cast a general-recharge spell, you lose access to all of your general-recharge spells of the same level until the one you just cast has recharged. The time this takes is based on a die roll -- currently, our 0th- and 1st-level spells take 1d6+1 rounds to recharge (spontaneous casters instead use 1d4+1). (Note that metamagic versions of general-recharge spells trigger a recharge of their effective spell level -- a Maximized Fireball would force a recharge of your 6th-level spells, not your 3rd-level spells.

So, for example, when Iota casts Detect Magic as a 0th-level Druid spell, I roll 1d6+1. Until Iota's Initiative count has come up those 1d6+1 more times, he can't cast Detect Magic or Flare, his two general-recharge 0th-level Druid spells. Light (his third 0th-level Druid spell), however, is on a separate, specific timer. After casting it, Iota has to wait a full hour to cast it again, but he's allowed to cast Detect Magic and Flare as much as he desires while waiting for Light to become available again. (Of course, he still has to wait for the general spells to recharge in between casts, but on average he can still cast one of his general-recharge 0th-level Druid spells twice per minute.)

Because of this, "preparing" spellcasters only need to prepare one copy of each spell they wish to use several times in one day, giving them a slightly wider variety of spells to choose from. Since spontaneous casters are limited to the handful of spells that they have learned (usually lower than the number of spells-per-day that they are normally allowed to have), they instead have shorter general-recharge times. (Note that you can't get around long specific-recharge times by preparing the same spell in multiple slots -- casting one copy would force all of them to recharge, and metamagic versions of specific-recharge spells take several times longer to charge.)

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/ma...hargeMagic.htm has all of the Core/Open Game Content spells in a nice, alphabetized list, along with their recharge times. There's also a table that shows how long your general recharge times are based on your class and the highest level of spell you can cast or prepare.
    Iota's actions this round, posted in advance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Iota looks on in grim satisfaction as his Entangle spell continues to do its work, knowing that anyone unfortunate enough to (still) be in the "blast radius" that made his or her initial save gets to make another DC 15 Reflex save or get caught anyways. Right about ... now.

After directing Sable to continue snapping at the orc, Iota moves to assist the party's wounded -- namely, Kerlian.
    Cure Minor Wounds.
    (1 point of healing. I would use CLW, but that's recharging right now. )
    Clr 0 recharge: [roll0]
    Clr 1 recharge: 2 rounds left
    Iota's HP 8, AC 12

Sable's bite attack: [roll1]
    Damage: [roll2]
    Trip (if bite hits): [roll3]
    Sable's HP 20, AC 14
    Last edited by Lunix Vandal; 2009-01-13 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Oh. Right. Preview messes up dicerolls.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile