New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Crystal Legacy Chapter 1

I'm going to fight the urge to make the dog auto fail but have the fascination attempt bring in the attention of the patrol. Let's just see how far a will save takes us.

Dog Will Save: (1d20+1)[8]

Edit. The dog is fascinated, and just sits quietly while teppy plays her song, or whatever it is she is doing. Do the rest of you guys still attack?
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2009-01-19 at 12:22 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

After further consideration, Iota decides to break the "bad news" to Teppy after all, taking almost the exact same course of action as he had originally intended. You won't hold it against me if I say I'm using the rolls from my Init post, right? I mean, I'm doing what I originally said I would, just adding a pile of fluff to it.

Erm, Teppy? You do realize that as soon as your impromptu perfomance ends the watchdog will cease its fascination with you and call for every orcish patrol within a radius of half of one mile and we will in all likelihood be forced to end its life regardless, yes?
    <Magic Fang.>
    And by my calculations, no matter how much you desire to continue your performance of your bardic music indefinitely, you will be forced to cease and desist in that activity after a mere one round per bard level you possess has passed.
    <Sable, circle behind them.>
    Which by my further calculations gives us at an absolute maximum six to twelve seconds of what may possibly be construed as "wiggle room."
    <Good girl. Down. Good.>
    This is rather more likely closer to or even below the lower of those two values, given my sudden foray into sesquipedalian loquaciousness. So as much as I hate to do this, it's probably best if you, uh, look away. Like, uh, right now.
    <Kill.>
    <Good ... girl.>

*<Translated from Druidic>

Fascination auto-ends as soon as Sable attacks.
    Last edited by Lunix Vandal; 2009-01-19 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Oh, wait, she doesn't know how to "Stay," either. =P
    Tiamat avatar by Serpentine.

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

3. - Top - End - #123

The fascination attempt ends if the creature notices the eminent attack. Sable needs to make a move silently check. Failing that, Iota can make a handle animal check to tell Sable "play dead" (or do something esle that would not seem hostile to the Dog). But walking up to a creature fascinated, with the intent to kill, will break the effect. Mind you, the dog will receive a penalty to their listen check.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Oh! Right. Move Silently then, since Iota hasn't actually taught Sable how to play dead. She knows how to back down (and the command to do that succeeds on a 1), but for some reason taking it just that little step further (since I would put it under the "perform" category) bumps the DC up to 25 (requiring a roll of 15+).

Move Silently: (1d20+3)[17]

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

5. - Top - End - #125
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Blarg, the character driven part of this gamer wants desperately to do something that the survivalist part of this gamer thinks is really stupid. I....I think the character part is winning though. I blame Iota for killing Mr Fluffums (Yes Teppy had already named him, probably in honour of the original Mr Fluffums, a 500lb tiger). Hmmm, has a thought that using Knowledge(metagame) Sable's attack roll exactly equals a standard dog's average HP, so the dog might just be unconscious. On second (third? fourth?) thoughts she is just going to do the insane thing.

Teppy looked on in shock and horror as Sable mauled the innocent little puppy to death. She turned with tears in her eyes to face Iota.

You horrible, mean, nasty man She says, perhaps a little loudly for a group of adventurers trying to avoid an orc patrol.

Mr Fluffums wasn't going to hurt anybody. She raises her voice a little higher.

How would you like it if someone just turned around and killed Sable? Her voice gets louder still

You wouldn't would you? WOULD YOU? Shrill scream is pretty much the tone of voice at this point.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm so very sorry folks, I know the above is really stupid with a DM so determined for a TPK but, I don't know, but there's something highly amusing about Teppy going postal over a dead dog with killer orcs nearby. She will of course have no problem with killing them :) I guess I'll console myself with the thought that if Teppy weren't there none of you would have got in before the dog attracted their attention anyway.
    Last edited by thatsthebunny; 2009-01-19 at 01:19 PM.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Pixie in the Playground

Man, my spell selection is kinda borked up for this situation, about how far away is the nearest Uber Plotnium crystal that our characters know about?

A flash of frustration crossing his face, Kerlian steps over to Teppy and places a hand over her mouth. "Now, character development is all well and good, but right now we may have a situation on our hands. I would very much appreciate it if you would use a readied action to prepare a pretty little crowd control spell to cast on any potential orcish attackers. Lullaby would make an excellent choice."

Spot check to locate cave entrance(s): (1d20+2)[6]

7. - Top - End - #127

The dog in unconscious, bleeding and dying. Everyone make a listen check.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128

PirateGirl

Teppy's Listen (1d20)[19]

9. - Top - End - #129
    Colossus in the Playground

Dolminit's Listen (1d20+4)[15]

He learned to listen by guessing how many and what types of coins people had in their pouch by the heavenly jingling and clinking sound they made.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-20 at 12:21 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Orc in the Playground

I'm sorry. But it had to be done. If it's any consolation --
    Cure Minor Wounds.
    There. Unconscious, negative hit points, but stable. "Mister Fluffums" will most likely wake up after a few days' rest -- if nothing opens the bite marks again, anyways.

Listen: (1d20+4)[13]
    Clr 0 recharge (provided there's an encounter coming soon enough for it to matter): (1d6+1)[2]

Spoiler
    Show
    I can totally understand doing something just because it seems to be demanded by your roleplaying side, regardless of any consequences your gaming side might try and remind you of. You might say that that's the reason I had Sable attack despite Teppy's successful Fascination attempt.
    Last edited by Lunix Vandal; 2009-01-20 at 12:40 AM. Reason: SPOILER ALERT!

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

11. - Top - End - #131

Teppy is able to hear several Orcs chatting about how ridiculous it is to need to describe someone's breath more than four times in a single book. One apperently is trying to talk the others into investigating where her poor dog ran off to, but seems to be approaching alone. She also hears the footsteps, and it seems they will arrive in 4 rounds.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2009-01-20 at 06:34 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132

Dolminit is excited at the prospect of bashing some breath-conversant orcs! This is the first battle in which he has any chance to prepare. He casts shield of faith on himself in preparation for some melee-rific orc reaving.

AC 17, Touch 17, FF 15
    1st-level specific recharge for spell: 30 minutes.

Immediately after the spell, he enters the Mahk-Tahr Stealth Phase. Hide = (1d20+2)[18], though he is still angry to know that his racial Dwarf-ja abilities were mentioned to the public and made fun of in some otherworldly movie called GALAXY QUEST).

He thinks of the originator of the stealth art who was slighted by this, another monk/cleric like himself who was slain by an orc ambush and says under his breath: "By Grapthar's hammerfist, I shall avenge you."

EDIT-TO-DM: Now that I have read and understand the Recharge Magic variant, I changed my spell selection (by one spell) since both divine favor and shield of faith were specific-recharge time spells with 5- and 30-minute recharge times, respectively. Otherwise, I never would be able to do what he was designed to do ... that is, be a mobile healing/buff platform ... and I'd cast two spells and be done for the entire battle.

The other spell slot is taken up by doom.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2009-01-20 at 11:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #133

PirateGirl

Realising there are more pressing issues at hand, Teppy wipes the tears from her eyes, murmurs a brief Thank-you to Iota, draws her sword and also looks for somewhere to hide (1d20+3)[15].

14. - Top - End - #134
    Orc in the Playground

Iota nods and decides to prepare for the worst. He seeks his own hiding place, gesturing for Sable to follow and do likewise.
    Iota: (1d20+1)[10]
    Sable: (1d20+2)[16]

Once hidden (or so he hopes), Iota pulls his crossbow and a box of bolts from the sack containing all of his worldly possessions, checking that the former is loaded as he does so.

Spoiler
    Show
    By my calculations:
    Assuming we made the Listen checks in the round after Sable attacked the dog, the Magic Fang from earlier will last through the first 14 rounds after the orcs arrive. Until it wears off, Sable's bite attack is also a +1 weapon.

Iota's HP: 16/16, AC 12 (Touch and FF 11)
    Sable's HP: 20/20, AC 14 (Touch and FF 12)
    Magic Fang recharge: 44 rounds after the orcs arrive, with the same assumption as above.
    All other spells are ready-to-cast by the time the orcs arrive.

Also, fixed my wealth and equipment list. How I got this far thinking my starting gold was 3 times what it should have been is beyond me. Oh, wait, that's right, the SRD doesn't have starting gold listed since it's not OGC, and all I could find at the time was the wealth-by-level guidelines. >_<

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Seeing every one else going and hiding, Spiro rethinks his disguise tatic and joins everyone else in a game of hide and supirse round.
    Hide: (1d20+6)[8]
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

16. - Top - End - #136
    Pixie in the Playground

Ugh, so my post didn't post before my computer crashed last night. Most of it as follows:

Looking around, Kerlian huffs arrogantly. "This isn't exactly my speed, but I'd rather not be the only one left out in the open."

Hide: (1d20+1)[15]

While (hopefully) melding into the surrounding flora, he adds, "I did think that disguise tactic had some merit..."

17. - Top - End - #137

The orc patrolwoman walks towards the party, before seeing her injured companion. Frufru! No! What happened to you? Did those mean ogres try to eat you again. I'm so sorry! I won't leave you again. Here. Have my last potion.

The Orc heals her animal companion with the potion. (1d8+1)[2]

Wait. These look like fang marks. Were you mauled by a wolf? I bet that B1tch Anna decided to... wait...sniff sniff Frufru... did you... roll for initiative? The orc pulls out her sheild and trident and starts turning around trying to see into the forest. I know your out there. Come out and fight cowards!

Spot: (1d20+3)[16]
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138

Initiative for Dolminit: (1d20+2)[12]

19. - Top - End - #139
    Orc in the Playground

Upon seeing & hearing the sufficiently-perceptive orc call out the party, Iota begins muttering to himself.
    Well. Looks like the gig is up. Now let's see if she can put 2 and 2 together and come up with "Sable mauled my doggie."

Init: (1d20+1)[21]

[OOC: Unless there's a specific one of us she's trying to look for, I think she knows where all of us are. All except Dolminit, anyways.]

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

20. - Top - End - #140
    Pixie in the Playground

*sigh* "Though it may only have existed for the orc to give to 'Frufru', I cannot help but think that potion was a waste."

Initiative:(1d20+1)[11]

"And what's with characterizing these bloodthirsty, evil creatures? I may almost feel bad about this at some point."

If, by my turn, either the orc or the wolf is still conscious, I plan to cast daze on them, and come up with something else for the other half of my plan.

By the way, what timezones are everyone in? It seems like more posting gets done while I'm asleep.

21. - Top - End - #141

PirateGirl

Teppy's Init (1d20+7)[21]

I tried to stop them hurting FrouFrou but they wouldn't listen me. If it makes you feel any better I promise I'll take good care of her if we have to kill you.

Teppy draws her rapier, moves towards the orc and attacks it.

Rolls to follow because I'm an idiot.
    Last edited by thatsthebunny; 2009-01-22 at 05:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

[OOC: Pacific Standard Time here.]

23. - Top - End - #143

PirateGirl

Mountain here, and attack (1d20+5)[21] and damage (1d6)[6]

24. - Top - End - #144
    Orc in the Playground

In our defense, you never actually said we shouldn't attack Frufru. And now you say "if we have to kill you" while you're leading the attack. Make up yo' mind, girl!

Deciding to interpret (what he perceives as) Teppy's mixed signals as "go ahead and KO the orc," Iota fires his crossbow at said orc, motions for Sable to attack her, and reloads.

Iota's crossbow: (1d20+2)[4] Damage: (1d6)[1]
    Sable's bite: (1d20+4)[21] Damage: (1d6+2)[5]
    Free trip attempt (if bite hits): (1d20+1)[17]

[OOC: Central Standard Time here, though my sleep schedule is eleven kinds of messed up.]

ECKS! DEE! EMM!
    Steam Profile

25. - Top - End - #145

Orc Init: (1d20+2)[8]

Technically, Eastern Stadard, but really it seems like someone rolls a die to determine when I'm awake and what schedule I'm on.

The Orc sees too many fighters, and will yell at the top of her lungs for help. She will also poke at the nearest combatant on her turn.

Edit:
    Looking at her init, the Orc never has a real chance for combat. she sees you guys coming, but cannot doanything about it. She is dying and prone in Sables maw. The dog is utterly freaked out, and will attempt to flee.
    Last edited by neoseph7; 2009-01-23 at 02:42 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Spiro int (1d20+2)[16]

Spiro confused by Teppy's dedication towards protecting the stupid mutt against the orc (which he is also suprised come in the female varity), he feels a need to dealy his action for a while to find out how some of the others are going to react.

Finally, he decides to ignore Teppy and just attack the mutt with his shortbow. [action is dealyed to after Neo's post]
    Attack - (1d20+2)[19]
    Damage - (1d6)[4]

[OCC: GMT, but I suffer from random sleeping patterns and bad internet connections so post can be eratic]
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

27. - Top - End - #147

The Dog and the Orc are now unconscious. It doesn't take a master listener to hear the Orc patrol approaching this location. They are moving quickly, and will make it in 3 rounds. The area very obviously shows signs of a scuffle, and the wounds on the Orc and Dog arent helping.
    Spoiler
    Show

I won something!
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148

An enemy of his people lies on the ground bleeding along with a guard dog. He wants to go through her pockets and see if she at least any coins on her.

But is that the real judgement of the scene?

Dolminit doesn't feel right. This whole scene is wrong. The way this played out gnaws at him. He hesitatingly steps forward to the orc female's unconscious form and says to her: "You will never understand why you lived, and will awake with nothing but hatred in your heart for us, but there was no honor in this ... you worried more about the animal that served you faithfully than ever you thought to attack intruders, and that is the measure of loyalty and compassion. I and my companions never showed that compassion. I am ashamed for us all."

Dolminit looks down (for dwarves don't look 'up' to their god but down as if to peer into the secrets of the earth) and says, "Forgive me, Moradin, but I feel this right must correct our wrong." And with that, he casts cure minor wounds on the orc female (1 point back, and stable) in place of mending. (Recharge time: [roll0] rounds.)

29. - Top - End - #149

[OOC: Bloody not being able to preview post that includes rolls. Sigh.]

Recharge time: (1d6+1)[3]

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I think I might be of some use hiding these bodies

cast Silent Image to "craft" A 40ft tree to hide the orc and use the last 10ft to cover "Mr Fluffums" (unless we decide to split and Teppy steals the mutt).
    (DC15) Recharge (1d4+1)[5].

Now then, are we up for round two or are we going to run back in to The Forest That Shouldn't be Called Girls Names on Saturdays and hide? By the way, anyone know what day it is today?
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1