New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Morrath Jones (a solo campaign in Ptolus)

As many of the vendors begin gathering their stuff to go home for the night you take your leave from the Undercity. You walk up the stairs to the Delver's Square. The sun has just descended below the horizon and only the last trace of red hue remain to tell that it was just a day. Even so the square itself is well lit with torches and the steady stream of people from and to the pubs around it keep the square alive. You make your way to the pub called Danbury's, open the door and step inside.

While a lot smaller than the Ghostly Minstrel, Danbury's is not an inn or a restaurant in similar degree. The first floor seems to be comparable to Ghostly Minstrel's taproom in acreage but unlike the taproom of Ghostly Minstrel, Danbury's extends to the second floor as well.

And what is the place like? For a tavern it seems somewhat classier and likely more expensive than most you've been in. The walls are decorated with beautiful paintings and carvings that create nice and calm atmosphere. Candles and torches illuminating the area add to the mood despite not seeming to produce any smoke.

The clientèle seems to consist largely of mages and it is easy to see. Many have spell component pouches, staffs, wands, scroll cases, scrolls spread to the tables in front of them and small animals on their shoulders or in their feet. A small group of humans is arguing loudly about subjects you aren't familiar with and using terms you haven't heard before... But despite all of this, the place is still a tavern. Everything that happens here happens between people with pints in their hands.

Not everyone in here is a mage of course. Many people lack any clear signs that identify them as spellcasters of any sort. Others can be easily recognized as members of upper class due to their clothing and jewelry.

Behind all of this is a bar and a dwarf bartender handing out pints from behind it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Feeling a bit insecure Morrath tiptoes through the taproom, trying his best not to push anything over, or step on someone's familiar. He couldn't have felt more out of place here and he'd rather share a tavern with thieves and murderers, instead of this motley crew. After performing his little ballet of a walk through the bar he finds a seat at the rightmost end of the bardesk.

A few minutes pass here in silence, as Morrath gathers courage to adress the dwarf. Then, as the dwarf comes within hearing range: Ehm, sorry master Dwarf, I'd like a pint if it's not too much of a trouble.
    Last edited by Darwin; 2008-12-25 at 08:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

The dwarf notices you well before you speak but only then does he turn to you and nod. Sure. Seven copper. He says, fells a pint and hands it you. He looks at you a moment and continues A new face here mmh. Anything else you need mmh?

4. - Top - End - #34

Morrath pays for the ale.

There might be something. A gal down in the undercity market told me that I could get information up here. I need to know if... if I can find something called a Hexblade here in Ptolus. A wandering sage told me about them, and now I NEED to see one, as soon as possible. Please... If you know something that might lead me to a Hexblade or something similar I promise you I'll make it worth it to you.
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Pixie in the Playground

The dwarf raises an eyebrow. A hexblade you say mmh... He says and thinks a moment.

((Knowledge check: (1d20+5)[25]))

I have heard that before mmh... Used to hang around here. Only ever talked with a few people mmh. Then began acting odd. Aggressive. Killed someone the rumors tell mmh. One day commissar's men came and dragged him away. Mmh. Zairic there could tell you more I'm sure. The man says and points at a gnome sitting in the corner table. Works at Mahdoth's Asylum in South Market. A madhouse for insane spellcasters. Mmh. The dwarf says and shakes his head.
    Last edited by Lentava-Heppa; 2008-12-25 at 09:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

Morrath leans a little closer. An asylum for insane spellcasters? The founders must've been the crazy ones building something like that within city limits. I've heard some pretty amazing stories about the arcane arts, and if only half of them were true I'd be more than worried about having psychotic casters within less than 3 miles!

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

The dwarf nods. Mmh. You aren't the only one to think like that. But the mages like knowing that if their studies tax their minds too much they might not need to be executed. Mmh. With somewhat lengthy existence of the place and few escapes in it's history I guess that Mahdoth and the fellows know how to deal with them.

8. - Top - End - #38

I hope you're right about that. Now, I promised you I'd make it worth your while, and I'm a man of my words. Morrath says as he fishes up a gold coin from his pouch. A gold throne for your golden information. He drop the coin on the desk as he rises from his seat.

It takes another show of modern-medieval dancing for Morrath to arrive at Zairic the gnome's table, this time without spilling from the mug of ale in his hand. Excuse me, the barkeep just directed me to your table, I believe you know something of great value to me. Do you mind if I have a seat?.

Morrath places the mug on the table and quickly fetches a stool before the gnome has a chance to say no. The barkeep told me you're working at an asylum down in south market. Perhaps you could tell me something about a Hexblade living here in Ptolus?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Pixie in the Playground

The barkeep takes your tip, nods and goes to continue his work of serving other customers as you make your way to the gnome. Zairic seems to be middle aged for a gnome. His well kept hair, trimmed beard and neat but practical clothing give pleasant first impression of someone who takes care of himself but doesn't seem arrogant. Despite him not having been given time to answer the gnome does not seem to mind your company.

Good evening. A hexblade? Hexblade, hexblade... He begins tasting the word and trying to remember something. Ah yes. Well, why not. I encountered the term when researching a subject brought to me by commissar's men some two months ago. He had gotten himself arrested for illegal worship of Destor if I recall. Or was it demon worship? Perhaps assosciating with chaos cultists... Something like that.

Well, I researched him a while and determined him not to be powerful or dangerous enough for the normal prison not to hold him nor in bad enough mental shape to need the rest. He was given back to the city watch and most likely delivered to prison.

Is there anything more specific you want to know about him?

10. - Top - End - #40

Morrath lets out a heavy sigh. Prison... Charlatan bless me.

There are a few things I need to know... First and foremost, do you think it's possible to pay this fellow a visit? And second, how hard is it going to be getting him out of there?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

The gnome grins. Well, the minimum time to rot in jail for illegal worshiping is one year but it could be as much as twenty. So he isn't going to get out quickly. You could try to get commissar or Prince of the Church to sign an order to get him freed but I doubt you would have much luck with this case. Or you could try to get some of the noble families to begin working on it. Most might not be too fond of the idea but I don't think that the Rau, Sadar or Vladaam would be impossible to work with if you have something to offer them. He says and shakes his head.

Other than that there is little you can do through legal means. There are rumors that the prison warden takes bribes but I would guess that they aren't cheap either. But getting to meet him would probably be easier to achieve. The supply boat goes to prison every day and with enough money changing owner I am sure you could meet him.

The gnome spits words out of his mouth in clear disrespect when referring to the prison warden.

12. - Top - End - #42

Morrath takes a sip and shakes his head. As much as I'd like it to be, bribes are out of question. I barely have enough money keep myself alive for the rest of the month, I have no job and I've got no friends or family that I know of here in Ptolus.

I'd like you to tell me a little more about these nobles. I've got a feeling that they're my best chance of getting what I want.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Pixie in the Playground

Well well well... As you surely know the nobility of Ptolus doesn't have any official rule in the hierarchy of the imperium. In practice they have enough wealth, contacts, respect and power to make things happen if they begin to pull the strings. Some of the houses wouldn't do that lightly.

Khatru would just be happy to see all the casters of the city thrown in prison. House Nagel is having so hard times that you can probably get them to do nothing. The merchant house Abanar, houses Erthuo, Dallimothan, Shever and Kath probably wouldn't have any motivation to participate. You might be able to get help from any of them actually if you can get their favor.

But houses Sadar, Vladaam and Rau are all known for their wizards to some extent. None of them have completely clear reputation but still... I would imagine them to be easiest to ask for help. But even they are very unlikely to give their help away for nothing. I am not the most knowledgeable about nobility. There are several libraries in the Oldtown - namely the Delver's Guild's library, the City library and the Sages' Guild - that might give more details on any specific house. And perhaps I can tell you too if you know what you need. But if you want general information, I don't know what to tell and don't have the interest to begin explaining the whole history of all the houses.
    The gnome says with a smile.

14. - Top - End - #44

Morrath nods as the gnome explains. The libraries are not for me, I'm not much of a bookworm, and I've always felt uncomfortable stuck between all that paper. Does Sadar, Vladaam or Rau take audiences? If so I'll be taking my chance asking them up their face as soon as possible.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Pixie in the Playground

Zairic thinks a moment before answering. Well... You could just try and knock to the entrances of their estates. It seems very possible that some family member in any of them could have the time to see you either then or in the near future. But to get to Nobles' Quarter you need to go through Dalenguard and the guards there aren't known to let just about anyone through if they don't seem to fit in or be on some important task. You would probably either need to see some good tailor first or be able to come up with something good to tell to the guards. Well... Without the tailor you will unlikely make the best possible first impression anyways but if you get to that point

Alternatively you could try to find some of the members outside Nobles' Quarter. Both Gattara Vladaam and Renn Sadar visit this tavern occasionally - though I can't exactly recommend you to associate with someone of Gattara's temperament - but I am sure that by looking into it a bit more you could find out some other places that the houses' representatives visit often outside Nobles' Quarter. I would guess

As the last thing I can think of you could naturally try just writing and sending a letter to someone and try to get an invitation to talk about it. Though there is of course the risk that whoever receives the letter isn't interested enough.

16. - Top - End - #46

I'm not willing risk waiting days, perhaps weeks for an answer to a letter that will probaly just end up crumbled up on the bottom of a trash bin. I am a man of words, not letters master Zairic.

After emptying his mug he continues.
    I'm sure the sentries stationed at Dalenguard will let me past if my business there is genuine. And If they're not I'll convince them with other means, trust me on that one.
    He says with an intimidating smile. Pity to the man standing between Morrath Jones and his goals.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Pixie in the Playground

The gnome laughs and gives you a smile. Perhaps so. But be careful not to become to obsessed in reaching those goals. Believe me, I've seen too many who have. He says with a friendly tone in his voice.

But I wish you both good night and good luck in reaching your goals.

18. - Top - End - #48

Thank you, and may the gods... well the legitimate ones at the very least bless your path Zairic. He bids the gnome farewell.

With thoughts circulating in his head Morrath leaves Danbury's, crosses Delver's Square and enters The Ghostly Minstrel Inn. He gives a nod to the receptionist from earlier and immediately heads for his room. As he climbs the stairs he feels the ale making his head spin. Funny how socializing often requires you to sacrifice brain cells.

Finally arriving at his room for the night, he finds the key, sticks it in the lock and enters the room, ready for a good night's rest.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Pixie in the Playground

As you enter the room you notice that it has been visited. There is a backpack lying next to the other bed but the room seems otherwise untouched. You close the door behind you and go to sleep.

You fall asleep very easily after the long and tiresome trip and the few pints you've drinken after that. Not deeply enough to not awake when you hear someone to open the lock and walk into the room but as you see the figure making his way to the other bed and going to sleep you don't give it any more thought before falling to sleep again.

In the morning you feel unable to remember any of your dreams. You only have a fleeting feeling that they were restless nightmares until you began hearing a faint sound of lyre from the upper floor. That calmed you down and for the rest of the night you slept well and peacefully.

The morning light works it's way into the room from the glass windows. You can hear the muffled sounds of people talking and dining in the lower floor. On the other bed is a man sleeping. He is apparently in his thirties. A clean shaved beard, short blond hair. Nothing very special is apparent from him on the first look.

20. - Top - End - #50

Yawning, Morrath pays his roommate no notice as he gets dressed. With a slightly throbbing head from yesterday's ale he proceeds down the stairs, into the dining area where he orders some bread and cheese. Where eats in silence, planning the coming day's events.

After finishing his breakfeast he sits for a little while, absorbing the atmosphere of the Ghostly Minstrel in the morning.

Spoiler
    Show
    Paid 3 cp for the bread and cheese

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

You walk downstairs and look around. At this time of the day the taproom is nearly empty but the restaurant side is somewhat busy. You sit down and order bread and cheese and look around you. Most patrons around here seem to be eating their breakfast like you are so there are constantly people coming in or leaving. Not all come from the upper floors but it seems that some people just visit here to eat and some come in looking tired from a night's work, eat something and go to the upper floors to sleep.

Aside from one massive and muscular litorian eating quite large breakfast with his greatsword leaning to the wall next to him there are few people standing out from the crowd much.

22. - Top - End - #52

Another few minutes passes by with Morrath sitting at his chair, humming to himself. He sneaks a glance at the litorian every now and then; that guy looks like something taken right out of a fairy tale. But I'd probaly be better off not letting him know that.

Standing up, Morrath brushes off the breadcrumbs of his trousers, then heads out of the door to the Delver's Square. He takes a walk around the square, looking for a tailor of some sorts.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

You take a walk in the fresh morning air. Many of the vendors who you saw leaving Undercity market last evening are now carrying their wares back there again.

You see Rastor's Weapons, a shop with a small sign Eating breakfast, come again in half an hour hanging on it's door. The Danbury's tavern you visited last evening. Ebbert's Outfitters, a shop with display windows hinting it of it selling wide variety of goods from ropes to chalk to signal whistles to tools grappling hooks... A low-end hostel called Potter's. A large shop called Bull and Bear armory. And the large Watchhouse at the opening leading away from the square.

However there seems to be nothing resembling a tailor.

24. - Top - End - #54

With a shrug of his shoulders Morrath leaves Delver's Square, heading towards North Market. He takes the same path which he used yesterday, heading back through Emerald hill and the temple district before the noise and ruckus from North Market reaches his ears.

Wasting no time asking around he starts wandering up and down the streets, looking for a tailor shop.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Pixie in the Playground

As you wander the streets of North Market you notice that finding a tailor takes surprisingly long time. While there are markets, stalls and the like everywhere most of them sell more daily products. Flour, bread, fish, meat, eggs and other items that are sold from stalls. In the end there aren't that many permanent shops.

Despite this not being as suitable place to find one as you originally could have thought you do eventually find a tailor. A sign depicting a thread being cut by scissors under text "A Cut Above" marks a very typical two story building with the first floor having been made of stone and the second of wood.

You step inside to see a spacious room with large spools of different colored cloths leaning against one corner. There is a door leading to the back room and a counter with nobody behind it. In the middle of the room stands a mounting supporting a wooden frame of a woman's upper body. The frame is clothed on a nearly finished dark blue bodice and a man not much older than you is kneeling next to it, finishing one of the last seams with needle and thread in his hands and a concentrated look on his face.

As you step in he looks at you, puts down the tools of his trade, stands up and greets you. "Good morning, sir. How may I help you?"
    Last edited by Lentava-Heppa; 2009-01-01 at 04:00 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Good morning, I'm looking for some new clothing He says as he pulls the not entirely new tunic he's been wearing since he left his home in Soelith, at the gentle pull a few stiches break and stumps of string falls to the floor.

I plan on visiting the noble's quarters as soon as possible, and I'd prefer to wear something a bit more suitable than this. I also require a set of more practical clothing, something like a cape and a sturdy shirt. He counts a few more minor details on his fingers. How much would this cost me, and how long is it going to take?