New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Morrath Jones (a solo campaign in Ptolus)

It has been two weeks since you packed the little that you own and left the village of Soerith. Having never been this long or this far away from your family and home it would be wrong to claim that you haven't felt any uncertainty or homesickness during your trip. In fact you aren't sure if anyone in your family has ever visited a city this large. Despite all the doubts that have crossed your mind the strength of your resolve to reach your goals has kept you from turning back.

This morning you saw the first sight of Spire, the massive landmark of the city, rising to the sky far ahead of you. The sight removed any doubts from your soul and made you feel anxious in a new way. Perhaps it is just the excitement of finally reaching your destination, perhaps something bigger.

The road becomes more crowded as you close to the city. Everything from small wagons of peasants to large trade caravans seems to be traveling towards and out from the city. You joined one of the trade caravans only a few days after leaving Soerith and realizing that the roads might not be safe to travel alone. For the last few days the vicinity of the city would surely have made the roads safer again but you've stayed with the group for company and to hear more about the city.

The stories you have been told have ranged from one merchant barely escaping a group of ghouls after having visited the cemetery too late to the caravan guards' wild nights at Esser's brothel at the docks. You are sure that some of them have been exaggerated and others just made up but still it seems that nearly anyone who has visited the city has something to tell. It's given you a lot of basic knowledge about the most important locations and organizations in the city even though you can't be sure that everything is exact.

You finally reach the north gate of Ptolus in late afternoon. At this time slightly more people are leaving the city than going in but there is still long line to wait in. You can see dozens of tents and a few larger storehouses outside the walls and many vendors selling goods to people entering the city or waiting in line. Water, bread, ale, maps, vegetables... The list goes on. The walls themselves are massive, forty feet high and nearly half as thick with the large gate tower through which everyone entering the city needs to go.

After twenty minutes of waiting you finally get through the gates. Four guards stand close by seeming pretty relaxed as they watch the crowd. You have to tell your name and reason for entering to an official who writes every person down and collects tax. Only two copper from you but a lot more from the merchants with their wagons.

You walk inside and enter the market district. If you would need to describe it in one word it would be crowded. Stalls, shouts, wagons and loads of people fill the streets. You are in Ptolus.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Morrath Jones (a solo campaign in Ptolus)

Morrath sighed to himself. This is nothing like Soerith. I really wish I had some other choice. He felt a light stir in his stomach as the thoughts of his hometown crossed his mind. Suddenly, without warning an ogre revealed itself from a street corner forcing his thoughts back on the track. Where's the panic? They've got a giant on the loose and nobody's screaming? The hulking creature came towards him with a little trouble, apparently no one even cared enough about the giantkin to even move aside. With careful steps it proceeded past him and out the city gates.

As soon as the beast leaves his sight Morrath shakes his head, places a hand on the first man to pass him and with a slight shaking voice asks him. Sir, did I just witness an ogre pass by me within city limits?
    Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

The citizen turns to Morrath so that they see each other in more detail. He seems to be dressed very nicely with his shaggy brown hair, spectacles and beard. The emptily hanging sleeve hints that most the man's right arm is missing but his left hand rests on a wooden box strapped to his waist.

What? Oh, I didn't pay attention. Perhaps someone redeemed by the brotherhood... Or some of Vladaam's bodyguards... Or I wonder if the city watch has finally been able to recruit someone stupid enough... He begins pondering before snapping back. Might be anything, really. Are you new here, then? Welcome to the city! May I interest you in some goods?

The man quickly opens the box with his left hand and begins demonstrating you the contents. The box holds all manner of small objects that he sells for a few coppers or maybe a silver coin: spools of string, needles, buttons, soap, quill pens, chalk, little toys, whistles, small tools, or even an empty flask, a colorfully painted mug, or a pair of stockings.
    Last edited by Lentava-Heppa; 2008-12-21 at 05:38 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4

Morrath stares not entirely unlike a sheep into the wooden box for a few seconds, then he turns his eyes back to the one-armed salesman's spectacles. Sir... I'm not exactly sure you understood me, there was an ogre... an ogre! Walking down the street, it even looked liked he cared about not stepping on someone's feet? From where I come from ogres EAT people!

He places a hand on the lid of the opened wooden box and closes it before the man has any chance of showing him more household effects. I'm sorry but I don't really need anything at the moment. But perhaps I could pay for an ale or two at the local tavern should you be able to spare the time needed for such. He adds with a nervous smile.
    I am just saying that Nam seems crazy to Kohl even by violent, homeless, grave-robbing arsonist with a death wish standards.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

The citizen nods a few times. Ah, I'm sure most would here too. If you happen to see one that eats people, don't go close. But if it won't it's probably due to some wizard or something. That's the kind of stuff that wizards do, I think. He says even though he doesn't sound very certain of details.

A tavern you say? He asks and grins. What kind of a person would I be if I didn't have time for a small talk! He continues and gestures you to come with him as he begins walking through the streets. The Red Stallion is right around the corner. It serves mostly drinks but has some snacks too. The biggest alehouse in the district... Oh, I almost forgot. My name is Farfran. He stops to say as you enter the pub.

The place is full of everything. Merchants, laborers and farmers all sit in different sized groups in tables and several staff members go around serving full pints, collecting empty ones and so on. Yallis, two ales over here! He shouts to a woman behind the bar and flashes her a smile as he leads you to a table.

6. - Top - End - #6

Morrath ducks for every wooden beam supporting the ceiling. Clearly this tavern was not built with men of his height in mind. As he sits down he digs up a small handful of copper coins and lays them on the table. He takes a quick count of them, 9 copper, that should do for now, hopefully they're not taking too much in tips here. The name's Morrath. Obvious as it is I'm new to town. Recent events has led me to believe my town of birth, Soerith, wasn't the right place for me to be anymore. His voice could easily be compared to that of a saw gnawing it's way through solid oak. Are wizards common here in Ptolus? I came here in hope of finding something along the lines of a mentor. It's probaly not going to be this easy, but I guess it can't hurt to ask around. He thought to himself.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Farfran examines you a bit more carefully than before and nods lightly. Well, there are quite a few in the city. The really powerful ones belong to the inverted pyramid. But I don't really know much anything about them... There has recently been a rumor about another wizards' guild having came to town but I haven't concerned myself with such much... And then there are of course a lot of wizards not belonging to any organization... But to tell the truth, I am sure I'm not the most knowledgeable person about wizards.

A waitress brings two pints to the table and Farfran takes a sip from his own. Soerith, eh? It's somewhere in the north, isn't it? Well, I can understand you. Never could live outside big cities myself. Out there in the wilderness where you are in constant danger of being eaten by an ogre... He says and shudders.

8. - Top - End - #8

Nope... This guy is not going to be one any use. But he seems nice, I guess it can't hurt establishing a few friends at first. It's a big city and I'll need some help navigating.

I don't know about you, but I'm not sure I'm going to get a lot of sleep this first week. I'm used to quiet solitude of the farmlands, perhaps only disturbed by the occasional owl. Speaking about owls! I actually managed to fight off a rampaging owlbear once. We found him murdering old Thomas' treasured cow Bessie one day as we were on our way back home from the fields. Thank god we had a pitchfork and a few sledgehammers with us. Although I've heard a lot of heroic stories about fearless farmhands I'm not sure it would have ended well if we fought the bastard bare-handed. Morrath grabs his mug with a huge fist and takes a big gulp of it as he finishes the sentence with a satisfied smile.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

The man listens seeming fascinated, grins and takes a large gulp of his ale too. But I thought you called yourself a wizard? He asks sounding a bit uncertain.

I don't have many large stories of bravery to tell, I'm afraid. I was born in this city and have lived here all my life. Selling, buying and trading everything that I happen to come by. He says and taps the wooden box on his waist a few times.
    Last edited by Lentava-Heppa; 2008-12-21 at 07:26 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10

A wizard... No that's not really it. I... I'm special lets just keep it at that. Morrath stares at the table as he mutters the sentences. I was the cause of something in Soerith. Now I'm here so I can prevent accidents from happening again. He looks up as he finishes.

You say that you don't know a lot about wizardry, but what about curses? A man who wished me well told me that's the subject my whole situation is all about. Morrath's eyes briefly looks world-weary, but quickly regain their usual glow as he takes another sip of the bitter ale.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Farfran shakes his head. I'm sorry but I can't claim to know much about those either. But... He begins with a smile. I can at least tell you a place where people should know. There is a place called Delvers' Square in midtown. A lot of adventurers hang around there. Wizards too, I'm sure. Wouldn't be a bad place to start looking, I guess.

And I have seen some people with Delvers' Guild's badges here quite often too. He says and looks around. None at the moment it seems but at least one adventurer sits here very often selling maps. He might know something. And here might well live wizards too for all I know. But aside from those... The folks at the temple district might have some information.

12. - Top - End - #12

I don't know about the temple district... I never fancied myself much of a spiritual person. Neither can I claim myself to be much of an adventurer, but I will probaly stand a better chance at the Delver's Guild. He empties the mug in one last draught and pushes the stool away from the table.

Well Farfran, that'll be it for me. I guess you and I better get back to business. If you could point me in the direction of midtown I think I'll be able to figure out the rest on my own.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

Farfran nods. It should be easy to find your way there. The road right outside is Emeral Road. Just walk south, cross the King's River, walk over Emerald hill and through Fairbriar and you are in the right neighborhood. Turn west just after the Black Swan and you are at the square. If you get lost just ask around. Pretty much anyone should be able to guide your way there. He continues with a smile. As you stand up to leave he adds May the 53 smile on you in your search.

You walk out of the pub, look around you, turn left and begin walking down the street. It is still busy everywhere but it is no longer just because of the crowds but because of the merchants, vendors and peasants packing their goods and emptying the stalls. While the streets are still packed with people it seems that this area might be nearly deserted during nights.

After a moment the market squares and stalls begin to get more scarce and the buildings along the roads begin having religious symbols. Some you recognize, some you have seen before though can't connect them to anything and some you've never seen earlier. As varying as the symbols are the buildings. Ranging from large temples of beautifully crafted white stone to small shrines at the street corners and to some buildings, there is everything. But temples aren't only buildings here, the homes of priests and most devout worshipers, offices of the Lothian church, shops selling items used in religious rites, homes of the clergy...

And as if to compete with the buildings in variety the people walking on the streets seem none the less ordinary. While the majority of course is common folk on their way to or from temples, you see priests and monks. Some ascetic, others full of gold and jewelry. You can see a large tower of a beautiful cathedral rising to the sky a few blocks to the east from the road you are walking.

You turn your face to the western sky. Two platforms of city rise above you with beautiful buildings. Neither of them manages to steal your attention from the large spire behind them. The sunset paints the spiral and sky around it red. For a moment you feel the odd anxiety again as you can't shake the view from your mind but then the King's river gives you something else to think about.

Only the stone bridge stands between you and the hundreds of feet of fall before hitting the raging water bordered by stone steeps on both sides. On the other side of the bridge you find Emerald Hill.

The hill reminds you more of a park than it does of a neighborhood. The beautiful buildings are what you instantly recognize to be elven architecture. Their curved shapes and the trees under which you see elven kids play make you feel calm again. At the top of the hill you notice a large inn. After walking down on the other side of the hill you enter Fairbriar.

Gnomes and halflings seem to make up more than half of the population here. Most of the buildings are a lot smaller, the smell of good food tries to lure you into the inns and restaurants at the sides of the road. Every once in a while you see a gnome playing some instrument at the corners of a building and a small crowd sitting around and listening.

Eventually you get through the neighborhood and can immediately see the difference. More than anywhere earlier you encounter adventuring parties. Cloaked figures, races you have never seen before, heavily armored groups, a wizard flying in the sky above you... The last few blocks before you reach your destination are amazing. And then... You see the square.

A large statue of an armored figure dominates the center of the square. Next to it are stairs leading underground. The square is surrounded by a large inn marked as the Ghostly Minstrel, a watch house of the city guard, a weapon shop called Rastor's weapons, a shop with "Bull and Bear armory" sign hanging above it and a bar with "Danbury's" written in artistic letters above the door. Adventurers of all sorts fill the square, as do members of the city watch.
    Last edited by Lentava-Heppa; 2008-12-22 at 12:03 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14

Nearly dazed from the massive sensory input flung at him from the city's streets Morrath takes a seat at a nearby bench. He rummages through his backpack and digs up the remaining half of his last trail ration. Quietly eating he tries get an overview of the square. A a small group of lizardmen whom he recognizes only from a picture book from his childhood passes by talking in a hissing language.

The Ghostly Minstrel looks decent, perhaps I should secure myself a room before they become booked for the night. Morrath crumbles the wrapping paper and tosses it to the left as he rises from his seat. He then proceeds to walk towards the Ghostly Minstrel Inn, in hopes of finding a safe, somewhat sanitary room to station himself at during his stay in Ptolus.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Pixie in the Playground

You walk through the street towards Ghostly Minstrel, a large three story high tavern and inn.

You open the door and step inside to the comfortable warmth of the inn. In front of you you see stairs leading to the upper floor and a reception desk next to them. Behind the desk stands a pretty young woman with reddish-brown hair. She gives you a small smile and a polite nod as you notice her.

To your right opens up a taproom. A bald, skinny and gruff bartender stands behind a bar and two waitresses deliver pints to customers. Some of the said customers look quite eccentric as they include members of many races and some obviously geared for adventuring. Shouts, laughs and loud conversation fill the air.

To your left opens up a dining room. While the patrons there are still more varying than in a regular inn, there are less people who wear armor or have large weapons at hand.
    You see a menu nailed to the wall next to the entrance to dining hall.

Last edited by Lentava-Heppa; 2008-12-22 at 02:06 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Although just having finished the last of his daily meals Morrath takes a minute reading the menu. Pity I'm full. It's been ages since the last time I had fish. I guess that settles the menu for tomorrow. He thinks to himself as he turns to face the redheaded receptionist.

Excuse me miss, my name is Morrath and I've just arrived in town. I'm going to need a room for a rather long time, is that something you can provide me? He lets off in perhaps a little too loud voice. Morrath never had the chance to get familiar with noisy environments, as most of the villagers back in Soerith almost automatically quieted down whenever he was nearby.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

Of course. Welcome to the city and the Ghostly Minstrel! We have rooms for five or seven silver, one gold piece or two gold a night depending on what kind of a room would you like. For five shields you'll get to share a room with a few other people. Seven gets you a bed in a room with one other person. The woman says with a refreshing and vivid tone in her voice. A golden throne gets you a private room. Two thrones are enough for a fancier room and a larger bed. Useful to make a good impression on certain occasions. She continues and gives barely notable wink.

18. - Top - End - #18

I think I'll go with a shared room, I might end up sharing it with someone interesting. Morrath gives a nervous smile, he digs up two gold coins and a silver shield. I better get myself a pouch of some sort, this is going to be a hassle in the long run.

This should do for 3 nights, right? He says as he drops the coins on the reception desk. The stairs outside leading underground, they wouldn't happen to lead me to the Delver's Guild would they? I was told it could be found in this district but I'm not completely sure where exactly.
    Last edited by Darwin; 2008-12-22 at 04:28 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

The young woman takes the coins and puts them under the desk. Yes, they do. Well, they lead to Undercity market to be exact but you can get to the Delver's Guild's office through there. Just go down the stairs and go into the corridor immediately on your right. But then there is the market itself. There are people selling food, weapons, firearms, alchemical items, arcane scrolls, potions and so on.

20. - Top - End - #20

Morrath can't help but laugh. Are there anywhere in this city where you cannot buy everything? I think getting my shopping needs covered is the least of my worries now that I am here! He laughs even louder than before. A few heads from the dining areas turn, looking for the source of the commotion, but eventually they loose interest as they discover it's only a man with a little lack of volume control.

Now if you would kindly show me my room so that I may rid myself of unnecessary burdens? I've been carrying this backpack for many days now, it's going to feel good letting my shoulders have their freedom back again.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

The woman joins your laugh with her bright voice. It can certainly feel like that. But there are many areas of the city not quite this packed with vendors. But come, I'll show you the way. She says, unlocks a small cabinet next to her, takes a key from there, locks the cabinet again before walking to the stairs and to the second floor. She turns right twice just after the stairs and walks down the corridor to a wooden door. The young woman knocks quickly and as there is no answer opens the door and gestures you to go in.

Two made beds are separated by a small table and another small table stands next to a wall. Two glass windows open towards the square. A view to the square. The other bed is taken too but it seems that he isn't here right now. Is there anything else I can do for you? She asks politely as she gives you the key.

22. - Top - End - #22

Morrath drops the backpack in his bed and takes the key with a nod. Could you perhaps tell me who I'm sharing this room with? He says as he starts emptying the backpack of coins, as copper, silver and gold spills unto the bed he picks them up and stuffs them in his pockets.

I don't want to sound suspicious, I'm sure your lodgings guests here at the Minstrel are honest folk. I'm merely asking out of interest.
    He picks up the last four copper coins from the bed. Here you go, a small tip on my account. and without further notice he drops the copper pieces into her open palm.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

A man called William. A spellcaster of some sort, it seemed. Has been here about a week and has his room paid in advance for quite a while. I haven't ever really had any longer conversation with him. The woman says and shrugs. She flashes you a charming smile and makes a small curtsy as you give her the tip.

24. - Top - End - #24

He's probaly one of those wizards Farfran talked about. Morrath mutters to himself. But he's paid for a long time in advance I guess he can't be up to anything bad. I've heard those wizards were quite a bunch of bookworms, not much chance of him being unruly company I suppose. He smiles to himself at the thought of sharing a room with a wizard. During his life in Soerith he had never imagined himself keeping that kind of company, but apparently things were up for a change.

I will be leaving now for a few errands, perhaps I can still catch a few of the shops before they close for the night. Should my roommate ask about me you can tell him I'll be back this evening. He bows and follows the receptionist down to ground level again. The noise itches in his ears as he goes down the stairs. I sure hope it quiet downs a bit at bedtime here or I might be right about not getting any sleep the first few days.

Morrath opens the door, the afternoon breeze carries a nasty air from a nearby tannery, but still it was refreshing compared to the dead, smoky air of the Inn. With his mouth Morrath takes a deep breath, filling his chest. Alright! Time to get to business he utters as he takes the first step down the stairs to the Undercity market, his pockets full of clinging coins.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

The woman nods and leads you downstairs. As she gets back to her duties at the desk you begin making your way to the stairs. As you walk past the large statue next to it you can read the text Abesh Runihan, slayer of lich Kagrisos carved into the base. You begin walking down the stairs.

Infront of you is a great hall lit by many torches and magical lights. They aren't quite enough to repel the cold, dark and damp atmosphere of undeground locations but do a great deal to make it less uncomfortable. Half a dozen corridors lead from the hall full of stalls to different directions. The goods offered on them range from torches and ropes to weapons, armor, scrolls, alchemical items... Even one stall selling firearms. But the one thing that connects them all is that they are items that common folk would unlikely need and unlikely be able to afford.

26. - Top - End - #26

The moist, dungeonlike atmosphere hits Morrath as he goes down the stairs. He shivers and rubs his naked arms. Perhaps a sleeveless tunic isn't going to cut it. I sure hope they've got a cape my size somewhere, or else I'll just have to pay a tailor. He thinks to himself as he wanders from stall to stall, looking at the adventuring gear presented from the various merchants. Some of them looks like they've had their share of adventure already.

He stops up as soon as he spots what he's looking for, a leather merchant. He coughs and adresses himself to the salesperson behind the table. Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to have a handy pouch for sale would you? I've grown to believe my pockets aren't the most suitable place to keep my valuables anymore.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Pixie in the Playground

Behind the table is a small stool upon which sits a short human woman with red hair and green eyes. The table is full of leather items - Belts, straps, leather armor, water skins, backpacks and so on. A pouch? The normal kind, attachable to a belt? Sure. She says and draws one from a small crate next to the table. She sets it on the table for you to examine. A single gold throne for that. How does it sound?

28. - Top - End - #28

Morrath picks up a dark green dyed pouch with simple brass buckles for attaching it to a belt. This will done nicely, here's your gold. He picks up a gold coin from his right pocket and pays the woman.

While stuffing the remains of his wealth into his newly purchased belt pouch Morrath asks: Say, if I wanted to know something about the spellcasters in Ptolus, where would you suggest me to ask?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

I would say... Here. The woman says and grins. There is a gnome wizard selling scrolls every day by the corner on the just opposite side of the hall to the stairs. The one with large hand written sign stating Arcane Scribe. Ner... Neridoc I think. He has probably left home for today already but would likely know a thing or two... The woman ponders. Then there is that couple with their own shop of alchemical items just left from the stairs when you come down here and as far as I know they are both spellcasters. But if those aren't enough... The tavern called Danbury's on the square above us is favored by wizards probably more than any other place in the city. If you can't find what you are looking for from any of these, I don't know.

30. - Top - End - #30

Danbury's eh? I believe I spotted it on my way down here, I guess I'll have to get upstairs again. Not that it bothers me, this damp atmosphere isn't exactly my thing if you know what I mean..

He closes the pouch with a silent "click" and turns his back on Undercity Market as he proceeds towards the stairs leading back up to the surface. As he reaches the surface he takes a quick glance, and spots the elegantly written sign spelling "Danbury's". With hope in his heart that someone here will provide him the help he needs so dearly he opens the door to the tavern.